cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

E2 hitch setup question

walimike
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new here and discovered this while searching for an answer to my WD setup question. I'd appreciate input.

I've got a 2008 Silverado (6.0L, 3.73 rear, max towing pack) and I just got a Forest River Cherokee, 274 RKS travel trailer.

I also have air bags in the truck and I set those at 60psi. I'm not sure I need those that high. I could lower the pressure on those.

The trailer specs say the hitch weight is 851 lbs. I've had the unit weighed at a CAT scale with a typical camping load and the trailer weighed out at 7,540 lbs.

From the scales, my truck axle wt is 3100# front, 2840# rear, 5940# total. With the trailer attached - front is 2800#, 4200# rear(truck=7000), trailer axle 6480, 13480# total.

Subtracting the totals gave me the 7540# trailer weight.
If I understand correctly that makes the hitch weight 1060#(7000-5940)

I weighed the hitch using the bathscale and 4x4 method and got about the same number.

I went through the E2 setup process for measuring. The unloaded height was 36", loaded with no WD- 37", with WD-36 5/8". The rear - 40", loaded & no WD-37 1/2", with WD-38" The trailer, once hooked up with the WD, has about 3 inch drop in front from the back(21" front, 24" back). Measured 23" front and back at start.

So, the Camping World I bought the rig from installed the E2 and set it up, of course the truck and RV were empty.

The WD system says its for 8000# RV and 800# hitch.
Based on the hitch weight I have and the other measurables, I believe I have the wrong system. Shouldn't I have the 10,000#/1000# hitch?

I know the air bags don't help with the weight distribution, I believe they just help to keep the back from sagging. Am I wrong? Is that going to cause problems?

The trip home and then to the scales from home, the front end felt a little wimpy. That lead me to the conclusion the E2 isn't the right size.

Thanks
1 REPLY 1

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the E2 the hitch and head are the same for all configurations, only the bars change. I'd pick up the 1,000lb bars if you have the round bars or the 1,200 if you have the trunnion. I might even contact the manufacturer and see if you can swap the round bar to trunnion if you have the round bar, I found their support to be very responsive when I had a question about the alignment of a weld when I received my unit (someone in China didn't square two pieces before welding, engineers said it was within spec and therefore safe). New bars are about $110/pair from etrailer, much cheaper than a new wdh.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH