cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning Radius: Fifth Wheel vs. Bumper Pull

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Another member posted a question about learning to drive a Class A motorhome and one of the issues that was raised is learning to turn a corner without clipping the curb with the back wheel or hitting oncoming traffic. That is an area that concerns me, but I'm looking at picking a trailer instead of a motorhome.

That brings me to my question. I will probably pick a trailer about 35 feet long, which is pretty long. I'm guessing it's complicated to turn corners at intersections with a long trailer, too. How different is it if the trailer is a fifth wheel instead of the same 35-foot length "box" hitched to a bumper?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
26 REPLIES 26

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get freaked out, just learn to drive what you have.

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch is right at 14.75 from pin to ball. I

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks DinTulsa, We've had our TT in place of previous 5th wheels for a year now and oddly, haven't had the need or opportunity to make a full lock U-turn yet. I think most WD hitches have around 12-15" pin to ball so should be about the same.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
That's a biggin DinTulsa! What do you tow it with and can you make a forward full lock U-turn without contact?

I tow with a 2012 F250 psd, the trailer is an Open Range Roamer 310bhs. With my Blue ox sway pro hitch I can make a full lock U-turn without contact.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 30' fifth for 4 years, now a 32' TT. Effective length behind the truck has increased by about 5 ft due to differences in hitch point. I find turns are about the same. For turns, stay as far opposite your turn (left for a right turn, right for a left turn) as the lane allows, and pull out partially into the second lane in front of you to make the turn.

When going left from a 4-lane, start from the lane closest to the center line, just keep on the right side of that lane. If not, starting from the other left turn lane, your trailer will cut the corner, potentially crunching someone using the lane on the inside of your turn. As noted, also pay attention to tail swing. Same logic applies to right turns - start from the lane closest to the curb.
The overall watchword is - go slow! Give other drivers time to accommodate you, and you time to see what is going on. Watch semi's making turns, and do as they do! You are a "big rig" now, and most drivers will accommodate you as such. But there are the idiots, hence going slow.....
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
That's a biggin DinTulsa! What do you tow it with and can you make a forward full lock U-turn without contact?

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Never pulled a 5th wheel, but pull a 38ft TT. I've pulled it through cites and tight campgrounds, they are not hard to pull even at those lengths. Just be prepared to make unapologetic wide ride turns, people might give you looks but it's not worth damaging a wheel, axles the trailer.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Redwoodcamper wrote:
Use your mirrors. It really isn't that difficult. Swing wide

Take all the road you can. It's a lot easier to turn in, than widen out.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
crcr wrote:
horton333 wrote:

You also can note the requirement for more pin weight on the 5th wheel sometimes moves the wheels back farther than a TT. Also increasing the radius. Of course 5th 2heels can also get Silly long too, :E

Pic is fake, photo-shopped. I have seen the original pic. That 5th wheel is no where near that long.

Agree on the Photoshop job. Easy to see when blown up very large. Look at the 1st two wheels. They are identical. Then look at the rear two wheels. They are identical also with a poorly done attempt at disguising the rear one. Too bad, as it would be a very interesting rig to see.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
horton333 wrote:

You also can note the requirement for more pin weight on the 5th wheel sometimes moves the wheels back farther than a TT. Also increasing the radius. Of course 5th 2heels can also get Silly long too, :E

Pic is fake, photo-shopped. I have seen the original pic. That 5th wheel is no where near that long.

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
The pivot point for the 5th wheel is 3~" ahead of the rear axle of the truck. The pivot point for a TT is about 5' behind the axle. The hitch point of the TT will swing "out" to track closer to the rear wheels of the truck in a turn. The 5th wheel's hitch point being slightly ahead of the rear axle will pull it closer to the inside of the turn and closer to the curb. The difference isn't huge but after going from our 3rd 5th wheel back to a 32.5' TT, I prefer the TT in all but straight interstate towing. You need to swing wide either way. As said above, I watch my mirrors and start my turn when I'm ready for the trailer to start it's turn.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you've ever watched a big rig go wide at a corner, that's similar to driving with a FW. It's not uncommon to have to drive into the opposing lane as you're turning, and hoping oncoming drivers understand what you're doing.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
The pivot point for the 5th wheel is 3~" ahead of the rear axle of the truck. The pivot point for a TT is about 5' behind the axle. The hitch point of the TT will swing "out" to track closer to the rear wheels of the truck in a turn. The 5th wheel's hitch point being slightly ahead of the rear axle will pull it closer to the inside of the turn and closer to the curb. The difference isn't huge but after going from our 3rd 5th wheel back to a 32.5' TT, I prefer the TT in all but straight interstate towing. You need to swing wide either way. As said above, I watch my mirrors and start my turn when I'm ready for the trailer to start it's turn.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed 5th ws {40 ft} , TTs all sizes, and I don't think a 5th w turns easer than a TT. The 5th w is much higher so you really have to watch out for tree branches, low over hangs etc. I am back to a 34 ft TT as I need the P/Up
bed for "things" plus with bad hips we needed less steps to climb
samsontdog:o:W