cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot refrigerator coils...(Fun Finder)

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm posting for a neighbor. She has a little "Fun Finder" travel trailer. There are two vent panels for the fridge and coils in the lower area feel warm but not too warm but the ones at the top are quite hot. Hot enough that you want to take your finger off it in a few seconds. That doesn't seem right. It's a Dometic. Thanks...
46 REPLIES 46

Jim_Arndt
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
happycamper002 wrote:
I'm referring to those who are advising installing fans. Of course you need to remove heat in the condenser portion of any cooling system. This heat that is absorbed at the evaporator end needs to be removed by fans but they are not located in the vents.

Go back and reread the other posts.

Norcold & Dometic have ventilation kits which include FANS and baffles for use in the outside compartment

Factory installed fans on fridges in slide outs are standard

Several aftermarket companies have fan kits for installation

This has been a routine occurrence for many years.......All of these companies have Teams of Lawyers

ARPC LLC fans for fridges

Nice drawings, but I believe there are a couple errors that may mis-lead the reader. The factory installed fan location is on top of the coils, in your drawing you have them in a large airspace behind the refir. There cannot be a large airspace behind the refir, if it is more than 1/2 inch you have to install a air dam/baffle as you indicate, if 2 inches or less, you need an additional baffle to direct airflow through the condenser (your drawing doesn't show the condenser), and if more than 2" you need to build the backwall deeper to maintain a 1/2" depth.

The Norcold/Dometic installation guides have excellent drawings which show each of the above scenarios.

I learned this the hard way, after battling for months poor performing refir's, as they were in too deep of a cabinet...
1988 Jamboree 26 - E350 460FI (It was FREE! Thanks Bro!)
2002 Tioga 29V
1986 Six Pac Truck Camper

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Jframpey wrote:
Now that the dust has settled... my frig struggles to cool on gas- and I'm wandering... maybe a fan would help. Someone mentioned thermostat controlled fans... anyone have sources for aftermarket thermostats and fans?

Joe

You have a much better chance of getting good advice if you start a new thread. This one is spent.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
Now that the dust has settled... my frig struggles to cool on gas- and I'm wandering... maybe a fan would help. Someone mentioned thermostat controlled fans... anyone have sources for aftermarket thermostats and fans?

Joe

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
cannesdo wrote:
I came here with a question for a friend. I have other things to be doing with my time. Evidently the rest of you don't. I'm done checking in to see if there are any grown-ups around with something to offer. My thanks to those of you who offered input at the start.
Unfortunately HappyCamper shows up and ruins threads all the time with some of the most ridiculous diatribe one has seen, and it takes several people landing on on him to shut him up. It's what Trolls do.. Suggest you ignore his BS and read information provided by those who KNOW. Both Chris and Doug are RV techs and well respected on these and many other forums. You can take what either of them say to the bank.

I agree and my remedy for something like him is to do what I've done here: I blocked him so having any of the content of his posts show up in the future is gone. :W
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
cannesdo wrote:
I came here with a question for a friend. I have other things to be doing with my time. Evidently the rest of you don't. I'm done checking in to see if there are any grown-ups around with something to offer. My thanks to those of you who offered input at the start.
Unfortunately HappyCamper shows up and ruins threads all the time with some of the most ridiculous diatribe one has seen, and it takes several people landing on on him to shut him up. It's what Trolls do.. Suggest you ignore his BS and read information provided by those who KNOW. Both Chris and Doug are RV techs and well respected on these and many other forums. You can take what either of them say to the bank.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

Chris, STOP NOW. This jerk has no idea what he is talking about. I went a few rounds with him a few months ago on how refers work. I hoped he just went away but he is back. He thinks he is the smartest guy in the world. Doug

Yeah- I wouldn't have said anything but for his snarky comment to Jeff.
You've probably seen this isn't the first time he attempts to go after me. Usually all I need to do is sit back and watch others go after him for going after me.. ๐Ÿ™‚

How about those Dodgers, eh?
Jeff - WA6EQU

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
This is his MO around the forum. Look at other posts and this is what he does. Very little constructive information and lots of uninformed combative comments to those who clearly know better. Thats what makes this forum so fun.. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
There is a saying that I will always remember, and I think it's fitting in this case. " Never argue with an idiot, it wastes your time, and just confuses the idiot"
Proud father of a US Marine

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Well, here is the full passage you have cited:

"No wiring systems of any type shall be installed in ducts used to transport dust, loose stock, or flammable vapors. No wiring system of any type shall be installed in any duct, or shaft containing only such ducts, used for vapor removal or for ventilation of commercial-type cooking equipment."

If you can explain how that applies to a refrigerator in an RV, I'm all ears...
Game. Set. Match.

He was being deliberately misleading with his selective quoting.

Maybe he works for the liberal media?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ignorance is just lack of knowledge and with correct information even the most ignorant can be taught

Stupid.....well that is a terminal condition that is beyond help

As has been proven.

Thanks Jeff & Doug for the 'heads up'.
At first thought we were just dealing with the misinformed :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Well, here is the full passage you have cited:

"No wiring systems of any type shall be installed in ducts used to transport dust, loose stock, or flammable vapors. No wiring system of any type shall be installed in any duct, or shaft containing only such ducts, used for vapor removal or for ventilation of commercial-type cooking equipment."

If you can explain how that applies to a refrigerator in an RV, I'm all ears...
Game. Set. Match.

He was being deliberately misleading with his selective quoting.