cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it always something?

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Three weeks ago the awning filled up with rain and an arm broke. Expensive fix. Thankfully is wasn't worse and no one got hurt.

Two weeks ago I couldn't close the black tank valve. Stuck a stick up there and fished around and pulled a chunk of thin plastic liner. Not to mention the "black" water that came with it. What a mess!

Then we park the TT at the inlaws and my FIL calls me and says one of the top window vents is open. I know I checked them before leaving the campsite, so it must have blew open or something. Got it closed before any rain.

Today, dump station tank must've been full as chunks of "black" water ran back up and all around my hose and literally stuck to it and needed to be rinsed off. What a nasty disgusting mess!!

And then while driving home, one of the emergency windows flew open! One of the kids knocked it while sleeping and apparently broke the support bracket off. Thankfully some duct tape and we were back on the road.

Camping is supposed to help me unwind, but all these "somethings" keep popping up and is causing lots of stress and some money. Argh, what's next????
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10
36 REPLIES 36

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
In our last campground, Jetty Park, I noticed water pressure spikes strong enough to cause non leaking hose spigot to spray briefly. I was smugly thinking our adjustable water pressure regulator was protecting our trailer. Now, at Fort Desoto, our shower faucet hoses started leaking. I checked the regulator. 40psi. Figured the regulator was set at 40psi from factory. Went to adjust to 25psi and got many turns of the adjustment screw before pressure started coming down. It was probably wide open during the pressure spikes at Jetty. Live and learn.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

There is a learning curve to all this stuff.

You are not the first to experience those problems and you won't be the last......RV'ing will never be a turn key foolproof activity. There will always be a gotcha.Murphy's Law is alive and well,however that is all part of the adventure and part of the fun.

Yup! X2

I was half way thru my "learning curve" with my first MH when I found this forum.

Just reading all the posts here saved me from having to experience the other 50% of the learning curve. :B

A disaster would happen on the road and I'd remember a post I read of what some seasoned RV'er did to fix it. And if there wasn't an archive of the problem? All I would do was to come here and ask what to do!

This forum and and it's members has over time saved me many headaches AND saved me a lot of money I would have spent unnecessarily! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
My vents would do that as well. I solved it by putting some MaxxAir Vents over them.

X2
Easy fix
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:

The only good news is that the Onan shop can get me in Monday......so I might still be able to go to Kentucky next weekend.

Well I did get to go to Kentucky.....but without a refrigerator. It quit the morning I was leaving. :M

Fuel pump was the culprit on the Onan.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

w8lpn
Explorer
Explorer
O yea the stories that happen. Last year for example I blew 2 tires on the old 77 rockwood on my way to hunting camp, hard to find 16.5x8 tires. anyway we cut the trip short, split the duals and limped home, just a little white knuckled.
2014 Ford F150 5.0
1985 citation 30 ft camper
Husky WDH with sway control

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta get some of them twisties!

Have to admit, it's good to know others encounter things too, misery loves company 😉

I am going to work harder on the preventative maintenance end.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
It really IS always something.
Went to Daytona today.
Fired up Generator (the weather is HOT).
After about 10 minutes, it quit. Looks like the fuel pump has gone bad.
SIGH.
Now I'm back home watching the race on TV (rain delay).

The only good news is that the Onan shop can get me in Monday......so I might still be able to go to Kentucky next weekend.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
there ya go........

you have been wondering what to name your camper.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Gallifrey
Explorer
Explorer
Remember how Han Solo was always working on the Millennium Falcon? We all still thought he and that ship were super cool.

Just pretend that you're him, working on your ship that you love even though it falls apart from time to time.

There you go, problem solved. 🙂

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
My first tow....looked in my rear view mirror to see one of the emergency windows flapping in the wind.
It didn't break, and the locking arm was good....but they really do unlatch quite easily.
I now use twist ties when I'm on the move.

Being in the aviation industry, I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance. Inspect and service will cut down on many unhappy days of camping or travelling.

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
It's not just you. My TT is more brittle than Nana's hip.

I keep a post it on the exit door with my list of pending repairs. Usually it is 6 or more items long.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1L 4.10
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer
How fast were you leaving the ferry! ? Maybe it was the ship crew cranked the tie downs too much.

Ralph

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we remember our many trips by what went wrong!!

on our first trip, in our first trailer, the fridge came loose, came out about two inches from its cabinet!! learned a ton of stuff about trailer construction on that trip

the fridge door broke too, same time.

lost the roof air cover somewhere between montreal and quebec city at 3 am or so

last year, the entire contents of the food pantry came out onto the floor, a chocolat syrup bottle "exploded on impact"

bent the hitch on the truck leaving a ferry in cape breton

we've had our share!!
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, had my grey tank fall out on me while in camp... Twice! Didn't fix it right the first time obviously.. But, each time, I fixed it on the spot and all is good now for the last two years.

I carry more stuff than I need (tool wise and other stuff), but there are times when I've lent out a lot of stuff to other fellow campers as well, so it all works out.

Anyway, I've had all kinds of other things happen over the past 15 years I've been camping with the same trailer.. Always just seemed to have the proper tools or resources available to fix the issue..

I just look at it as another story to tell and another life experience.

The other thing is to "learn and adapt" from all these experiences too.. 😉

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.