cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Increased payload

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
I know that modifications don't legally change any of the vehicle's official ratings or capacities, but what would be the real-world payload difference in switching stock Excursion rear springs with F250 springs? The F250 springs are rated at 3,000 lbs.
25 REPLIES 25

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It's just like a Ram Mega Cab 1500 with its 8600lb GVWR. Just 1 lb shy of the 8601lb cutoff for HD emissions. A Mega Cab 2500 has a higher rating and the only difference is the sticker on the door jamb! It's all a numbers game. And in order to play you have to know the game. Some of us do and some don't!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CapriRacer wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
Simple answer - check the rear GAWR of the said F250, compare it to your current rear GAWR, and that's your increase in payload......

Not exactly. The GAWR is based on the weakest link. Could be springs, could be tires, could be axle, could be frame. Unless you know which component it is, changing a single component might not change the payload at all.

Could just be fitting into a motor vehicle regulation and have nothing to do with the weakest physical length as well....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyJ wrote:
Simple answer - check the rear GAWR of the said F250, compare it to your current rear GAWR, and that's your increase in payload......

Not exactly. The GAWR is based on the weakest link. Could be springs, could be tires, could be axle, could be frame. Unless you know which component it is, changing a single component might not change the payload at all.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hemling wrote:
I know that modifications don't legally change any of the vehicle's official ratings or capacities, but what would be the real-world payload difference in switching stock Excursion rear springs with F250 springs? The F250 springs are rated at 3,000 lbs.

Simple answer - check the rear GAWR of the said F250, compare it to your current rear GAWR, and that's your increase in payload.

If you're super worried about the whole legal thing, get your truck re-registered for the front + rear GAWR. Depending on your local law, you may need an upfitter to re-certify a new GAWR, according to the axle's manufacturer's rating (not Ford's).

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I switched out nitrogen in my tires for helium. It made the truck 203.662 pounds lighter which increased my payload.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Do you have a 3/4 ton and you are putting 1 ton springs on or 1/2ton and putting 3/4ton springs on?

It's not really clear.

The OP has an Excursion.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I think the only sure-fire, 100%, no questions, bonified, way to change the payload is to get a new truck! :B

Or buy tires with a lower load rating.

Friend of mine did this without even knowing it like most people do. His rear GAWR on his Ram 3500 SRW is 7,000 lbs. He went from the stock Firestone tires that have a 3,640 lb rating(enough to cover the 7,000 lb GAWR) to a 275/60R20 BFG T/A KO2 tire with a 3,000 lb rating. This essentially dropped his rear GAWR to 6,000 lbs which is 500 lbs lower than my 2500's 6,500 lbs GAWR.

Although, that sticker on the door is meant for OE tires per the law that made the manufacturers put it there. If you get something other than OE tires then that sticker is useless.

Is that the load rating for that 20" size or did he get a lower rated tire by accident? I put 18" KO2s on my truck recently and they have the same 3,640 lb rating as the stock Firestones.

Only that specific size. Some KO2 20"s have a 3,750 lb or higher rating just like some of the 18" KO2's sizes have less than 3,500 lbs rating. He should have known something was up when it said max psi was 65 on the side wall, but that is not always a good indicator for every tire.

I think he just did like most people do and just asked for specific brand or style of tire trusting the the person putting them on will get the right load rating for the vehicle.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
I think the only sure-fire, 100%, no questions, bonified, way to change the payload is to get a new truck! :B

Friend of mine did this without even knowing it like most people do. His rear GAWR on his Ram 3500 SRW is 7,000 lbs. He went from the stock Firestone tires that have a 3,640 lb rating(enough to cover the 7,000 lb GAWR) to a 275/60R20 BFG T/A KO2 tire with a 3,000 lb rating. This essentially dropped his rear GAWR to 6,000 lbs which is 500 lbs lower than my 2500's 6,500 lbs GAWR.

Although, that sticker on the door is meant for OE tires per the law that made the manufacturers put it there. If you get something other than OE tires then that sticker is useless.

Is that the load rating for that 20" size or did he get a lower rated tire by accident? I put 18" KO2s on my truck recently and they have the same 3,640 lb rating as the stock Firestones.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Hemling wrote:
but what would be the real-world payload difference in switching stock Excursion rear springs with F250 springs?

Changing the springs does not change the anything.

Yes it does. It can change a lot of things.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
Hemling wrote:

Yeah, you are totally on the right track here. This is a super common swap.

Couple things to consider.

- There were about a dozen spring codes from that SD era
- After that many years under a truck, there is a decent chance that any used leafs are tired and not performing as when new.

If you have the means, any decent spring shop, should be able to make you a very nice spring pack to meet your needs for not a ton of money.

๐Ÿ™‚

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have a 3/4 ton and you are putting 1 ton springs on or 1/2ton and putting 3/4ton springs on?

It's not really clear.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Well the X weighs approx. 7300lbs with no one in it. on my V-10 with its 8900lb GVWR that gives me 1600lbs of CCC. I`m not sure off hand but I believe a similarly equipped 250 is rated at 9500lbs (just below a cutoff of the 10k rating). and with an F250 being lighter than an Excursion by almost 600lbs that would give you approx. 2800lbs! maybe a bit less. I have the actual numbers somewhere from a V-10 F250. The Excursion is based on the 250/350 with 2 big differences. the frame behind the front seats is built differently to handle the body of the X and the springs were made softer to give it the mommy ride Ford was after when they built it, as well as making it lower to fit in garages. everything else is Superduty.

I run airbags on my X and it handles my 9200lb TT with no problem.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is