cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank Crack

heagle52
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 Sabre Fifth Wheel 32RCTS, which I purchased new in July 2012, has a crack in the black tank. It leaked into the covering under the trailer before I knew what was happening while cleaning the tank. I had a RV repairman come and determine that the tank has a crack of several inches, but he did not have any material to fix it.

Anyone have any experience with this and how did you fix it?

Thanks.........
2012 Ford F250 CC
2013 Sabre 32RETS
6 REPLIES 6

Shrek51
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where the crack is.

When mine cracked I had it looked at and it could be repaired but it was cracked at a seam and went part way around drain hole.

It would have cost me about, unable to get on the ground and get back up, $400.
So I had one made, square this time. When I had it installed I had straps to support all the tanks. No straps were installed originally which allowed the tanks to bounce, thus the crack.

It cost me just over $500. Would have cost over $1500 and take 4 weeks instead of 2 weeks. I picked it up and delivered.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
tinstartrvlr wrote:
Managed to drill a hole in my black tank once and found some 2part JBWeld type stuff for plastic/abs etc at HD that can be used even underwater. It hardens nicely and stopped the leak completely. Then covered it with some gorilla tape just for fun.

Worked for me. Had crack where pipe joined tank. Used JB Weld in the red and black tube and added several layers at a campground in Indiana. Be prepared to work quickly with small amounts. Sets up fast.Held for the remaining 4 years I owned the rig.. Never had any luck with the plastic putty. Does not work on polyethylene which is what the other tanks were made of. If the tank is black it is almost always ABS. Sanded the area first. DO not get the quick setting. Sets up too fast.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Managed to drill a hole in my black tank once and found some 2part JBWeld type stuff for plastic/abs etc at HD that can be used even underwater. It hardens nicely and stopped the leak completely. Then covered it with some gorilla tape just for fun.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
My Jayco black tank cracked. I used black ABS cement purchased at lowes and some fiberglass cloth to seal and reinforce the crack. The only place I could find black ABS cement was Lancaster, PA.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it's ABS just buy some flat ABS stock or even ground up pipe and use common plumbing cement to fix it. Repair will be strong as new.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Have it plastic welded.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.