cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

S.O.L.?

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so here's a question. I just bought a satellite and receiver because I was in Missouri last month and where we were at I could only get one channel, Fox news out of Iowa and it's secondary channel Grit. So I'm thinking since I have a trip coming up where I may be T.V. deficient again I'd get the set up and the month at a time plan. However, after reading about the "local" pkg. it seems I won't be able to get local wherever I am. Is this true? Any way to get local on the satellite if your too far away for antennae use?
10 REPLIES 10

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!

Before looking at this thread, I thought S.O.L. meant something other than "Search Out Locals".

:C

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If you are already paying for DirecTV, why add Dish when you can simply take your DirecTV receivers from the house when you travel?
Using any satellite TV option you can call Dish or DirecTV and get the Network programming ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox local to where the RV is parked. You give them the zip code of your location and that's the Networks you receive. Sometimes there can be 2 different sets of Networks and if they are both close enough you can give an address in that market. Each market size varies dramatically from only a few hundred miles to well over 1000.

I agree, and besides that, Direct TV has a great weather forcast channel,.... 9999 (same as the "active" button on the older remotes) that not only give very accurate weather forcast, but also has 6 presets for 6 different citys anywhere in the country, and also give a ton of other information for the city selected !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are already paying for DirecTV, why add Dish when you can simply take your DirecTV receivers from the house when you travel?
Using any satellite TV option you can call Dish or DirecTV and get the Network programming ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox local to where the RV is parked. You give them the zip code of your location and that's the Networks you receive. Sometimes there can be 2 different sets of Networks and if they are both close enough you can give an address in that market. Each market size varies dramatically from only a few hundred miles to well over 1000.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The best way to get local weather is to get a Weather-All Hazzrds Radio .. SAME technology optional. You want one that has an EXTERNAL ANT jack so you can put a Scanner, or 2-meter ham, antenna on the OUTSIDE (roof is nice) of your RV (NOTE Pay attention to overhall height, Hitting bridges can damage the antenna).

NO need for Internet or Television reception.. Most of the US is covered by one of the NOAA transmitters. plug they can wake you up if the need is broadcast (IE: Tornado watch/warning).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Yes, Dish's pay as you go monthly plan was what I was referencing since I don't know of a similar Direct plan (I have Direct at home but am going to do the monthly plan Dish has). Sounds good that I'll be able to do "local" channels on the plan, we about got burned out on Death Valley Days on that MO stay, and I couldn't find out if I could pick up Cleveland, Ohio (75 miles) or Columbus, Ohio (72 miles) off of the R.V. Jack antennae for the week we'll be at that location. Once again, thanks for the replies.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If by locals you mean your hometown locals the answer is no.
If by locals you mean the local channels from the nearest major city the answer is yes, at least for Dish. We have the Dish pay as you go monthly plan. If we are outside our local reception area I just call or on line chat Dish, tell them to change our service address to that current location, and within a few minutes have those local network channels.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you can get locals (or nearby locals) where ever you go. You just don't get them automatically. You have to call Dish when you move too far to receive the last set of locals and let them know where you are currently located. Dish Chat is the BEST option but you can call and try to get the moron on the other end of the line to understand what you want to do. For chat, setup a script. "I have moved my RV from this address (including zip code) to this address (including zip code) and I need to have the service address (not billing address) updated to this address as soon as possible."
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, on the "Service Address" make sure you tell them just the "Service Address" and NOT the Billing address (Assuming DISH here, you didn't indicate who the service was.

Sometimes you won't be at a "Proper Address"... like parking lot or boonie camping...
I just look up the local USPS, copy/paste that address into the DISH >Billing >Chat and just type in, please update my "Service Address" to.. (paste the USPS address) ..

Takes about 3 min for them to change and maybe up to 30 min for the program guide to update..

Hope that helps..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
starlord wrote:
Ok, so here's a question. I just bought a satellite and receiver because I was in Missouri last month and where we were at I could only get one channel, Fox news out of Iowa and it's secondary channel Grit. So I'm thinking since I have a trip coming up where I may be T.V. deficient again I'd get the set up and the month at a time plan. However, after reading about the "local" pkg. it seems I won't be able to get local wherever I am. Is this true? Any way to get local on the satellite if your too far away for antennae use?

who is your svc provider...dish, direct tv or shaw?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
You can call Dish if that is your service provider and change your "service adderss". Ask for the locals at the service address also. It will work fine. Service address is the address where you will be in the rv.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie