cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling a Travel Trailer

Beerdawg
Explorer
Explorer
We have a used TT that has sat for the last 5 to 6 years as we were unable to go camping due to an elderly family member that we lived we. Now we are forced to move and will probably sale the tt. My question is would most people buy new tires before selling it or sale it with old tires on it? Letting the buyers know of course that they have been sitting for all the years .Thanks for the advice in advance
10 REPLIES 10

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
When we sold our Hybrid TT, it had sat for a few years too. The tires were old and I had no idea if anything worked, other than lights. The last time it was used, it worked. I explained that in my Craigslist ad and priced it accordingly. I did replace a brunt out tail light and put a new battery in it. Otherwise, it was sold as is. Priced right, it sold in a few hours.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I would go through the trailer and make it ready to take camping. Ensure everything is working and be prepared to demonstrate appliances, how to level, hookup, etc..That means the batteries, propane and tires too.

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If they are really bad (totally flat, badly dry rotted, etc...) it may be worth it because people will assume the whole thing is a steam pile of poo and you will get few offers and the offers you get will be low.

If the tires hold air and don't look bad, sell it as-is. If they ask, be honest but if they care, they can look at the sidewall and get the age of the tire anyway.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of people want it either way. I'd sell as is with the caveat that the tires are old and should be replaced for any kind of a long tow. They can always negotiate with you to have new tires put on if they really want them.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
New tires will hide alignment and wheel bearing problems. When I was shopping used TT, I was very suspicious of any used trailers that had new tires. Even more suspicious when the salesman assured me that the owner installed new tires to give me a better value. Old, well worn tires tell the truth about the wheel condition and I'm very capable of buying new tires myself.

The same is true about painting the inside of the TT. Fresh paint can hide water and mold stains.

Honesty is the best policy - sell it as-is. If something doesn't work correctly, offer to pay a third-party dealer to fix it before the buyer makes final payment. Be sure to get a non-refundable deposit from the buyer before having it fixed so that he doesn't change his mind while the trailer is being repaired.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
They need to be good enough to have it leave the property. Also you want to make sure the wheel bearings still work, lights and license plate. I would have it ready for someone to hook up and go.
Brian

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
do not buy new tires. The new owner may have a preference or may not want Chinese tires

X2. I think that goes for any type RV. I would rather buy the tires of my choice, then I will know the condition and that they were not abused or run with low pressure.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I would not buy new tires unless they will not hold air. I would clean it up and see if I could get every thing working like ref, A/C, water heater etc. I would not sell as is nor tell anyone it has been sitting years unless they asked.
samsontdog:o:W

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Sell it "as is" - new owner may want to park it as well
Gerry

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
do not buy new tires. The new owner may have a preference or may not want Chinese tires
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind