cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

//www.boondockerswelcome.com

jackalhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone belong to boondockerswelcome.com? 19.95 a year and you get a list of all the people who allow you to boondock at their residence.

Thoughts?
15 REPLIES 15

terry_thiessen
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a member of the boondockers for several years . Have hosted several families and single campers We have thoroughly enjoyed hosting fellow campers .this may not be for everyone but for us it has been an enjoyable experience.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
What makes you nervous?
Maybe the Name Norman Bates conjures up images.. ๐Ÿ˜‰
It's like any place, RVing or not. If it doesn't feel right, move on.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted on edit
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
A little bait and switch here? Sure is nothing I need.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I may never be a member.

When I filled in everything and hit send, I was told that the openings were all closed but I could join for 20$ a year. At that time we weren't traveling as much as we are now, and I couldn't think of why I would pay 20$ a year to invite people to park here.

We sure don't need to spend 20$ a year to find ONPs as we do our 30~60 road nights a year.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also one of the founding members and have visited several and had numerous visit me including the owners of the site. They are delightful people and I've had nothing but good to say about my contacts.
Not to say that there couldn't be some dangerous kooks out there but that's why we have the 2nd ammendment.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
As with Donna I also joined when it first started up, I've used it 5 or 6 times when there was no other practical choice near where I needed to be.

I've also hosted numerous people myself, some because of a mutual love of aviation, others likely because the proximity to Toronto.

I've met nothing but fantastic people and never had the slightest problem.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I was/am one of the initial members (free membership) offering up a piece of our land for you to camp on. Last I checked I am a bit weird but....

We have had 3 campers stay and have one for two nights currently. We also had maybe one or 2 more ask but we were not at home (traveling). However, we have never stayed at someone else's place because it takes a bit of planning on our part and that doesn't always work out...prefer to not plan too much.

I think like minded people are just looking for an overnight or two somewhere. We have had folks stay one night, 2 nights and one young lady (her teardrop was her home!!) for 4 nights.

I think it is a great idea and nothing to be weary of. We probably will eventually use it somewhere...
Donna in NY

mikeandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
jackalhunter wrote:
Anyone belong to boondockerswelcome.com? 19.95 a year and you get a list of all the people who allow you to boondock at their residence.

Thoughts?

I joined last year. I was in contact with some people to stay with but the time frame didn't work out last fall. Next week I will be staying at two different people's houses as a guest. I contacted each of them early as a "potential" stay and have been in contact with them. They both seem very nice and have received good reviews. I don't plan on vacationing there and grilling or having my lawn chairs out. I will be in late and leave early....and it will be quiet:)
http://mikeandlisaworld.blogspot.com/

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I am a member of both Harvest Hosts and boondockerswelcome.com for over 3 years. I recently extended my contract with Harvest Hosts for an additional 3 years and currently on a 3 year contract with boondockers that doesn't expire until Sep 19.
I have never ran into a problem at either place and wish I had discovered both organizations years ago.
Without a doubt it is one of the best decisions that I have ever made.
At Harvest Hosts I have only been offered water and wifi at some places, whereas at boondockers I have been offered 50amp, water, sewer and wifi. I have also been invited in to a couple of homes for dinner. No one at boondockers has been anything but friendly, we have shared a bottle of wine or two with a few in appreciation of what they gave us. We offered the wine to all, some were beer drinkers and sat with us and drank their beer.
Best RV memories of my life.
The only downside to boondockers like someone else already mentioned is the size of your unit. Since I pull a 40 foot 5th wheel the majority of the places offered are not suitable for me. That being said I can usually find someplace to spend the night that isn't too far off my path.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been a member for about five years. I have been contacted several times but no one has stayed. Most are families passing through. I only have a suitable place for a TC or a small C no 5ver's. I have not contacted anyone to see if they have room because there not been an occasion that I needed a place. I use truck stops and other public areas. Oh wait that's scary also.;)

I have never received any complaints from the managers about folks that need to be avoided, just sayin.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocking anywhere has inherent risks. I do think, however, you are safer at someone's residence than just out who knows where. Of course, the boondocker host may be nuts, but they are equally taking a chance that whomever is boondocking on their property could be nuts, too. But just picking a spot, say in remote Forest Service or BLM land you are particularly vulnerable, and even Walmart or a rest area can be risky.

I looked at boondockerswelcome.com but found it to not be workable. Many hosts could not accommodate but small rigs, required advance notification, and were subject to zoning and HOA restrictions. Many did not allow grills, outside chairs, generators, and had no hook ups.

I found Harvest Hosts to be far superior. These are wineries, farms, and small businesses that welcome overnighters with the anticipation they will make a purchase. These businesses often have hook ups or other facilities for RVs. The whole concept is much better.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What makes you nervous?
It's like any place, RVing or not. If it doesn't feel right, move on.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
jackalhunter wrote:

Im a Law Enforcement officer and this makes me a little nervous....

Thoughts?
Couldn't agree more. I have a reasonably large farm that is currently equipped with 50A power, water and a dump site for an RV, but I wouldn't allow just any stranger I didn't know to use that or even to just boondock overnight. Too many kooks out there trying to take advantage wherever they can. Wouldn't happen on my place and I wouldn't feel comfortable using just anyone else's land, especially in a very rural setting.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus