Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New battery already bad??

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Ford F-150 5.0.

I replaced the battery Friday. Started the truck up great for the rest of the day.

Started up fine Sat AM, but after sitting at work all day Saturday, it kinda slow cranked.

This AM, I had to jump start the truck to get to work. I've gone out a couple of times today to make sure it will start. After letting it sit for about 6 hours, it kinda starts to lug when starting.

To me, I think I have a bad battery and will take it back to the store tomorrow to exchange, but is there some way I can check to see if there is a parasitic power drain when the key is shut off?

Another thing.

When I jump started it before I swapped out to the new battery....the truck wouldn't shift out of third gear.

This AM, after I jump started it, it stayed in 5th gear. I re-started the truck and it shifts fine.

My problem is that I'm leaving in a week for vacation and I don't want to sweat the truck not starting whenever I need it to.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
32 REPLIES 32

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
2013 Ford F-150 5.0.

I replaced the battery Friday. Started the truck up great for the rest of the day.

Started up fine Sat AM, but after sitting at work all day Saturday, it kinda slow cranked.

This AM, I had to jump start the truck to get to work. I've gone out a couple of times today to make sure it will start. After letting it sit for about 6 hours, it kinda starts to lug when starting.

To me, I think I have a bad battery and will take it back to the store tomorrow to exchange, but is there some way I can check to see if there is a parasitic power drain when the key is shut off?

Another thing.

When I jump started it before I swapped out to the new battery....the truck wouldn't shift out of third gear.

This AM, after I jump started it, it stayed in 5th gear. I re-started the truck and it shifts fine.

My problem is that I'm leaving in a week for vacation and I don't want to sweat the truck not starting whenever I need it to.
New ones can go bad. I had same thing happen in my 2005 Ram when I had it. Two Kirklands and one couldn't take a load. Went back for another on their dime
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
This was posted on another thread. I think it was meant to be posted here.

Posted: 07/26/17 08:32am by Patperry2766
For those who are interested, after returning from vacation and by truck in the shop for 8 days, the problem turned out to be a faulty body control module that would intermittantly stay open and cause a battery drain.

Hopefully this will correct the problem once and for all.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed that on the passenger side of the engine, after I turn off the ignition switch, there is a "electrical hum" sound coming from somewhere around the firewall area. After I disconnect the neg battery side and reconnect, the sound goes away and the battery isn't drained the next morning.

Oh well. At least the truck is starting and I've got an appointment set to have it looked at when I get home.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
That sux... Ft. Davis is not the place to be broken down. Not many options in that part of the state.

Ain't that the truth

On a more positive note, the trip has been awesome. My wife was skeptical to say the least about the part of the trip. She was in a foul and pissy mood coming out here thinking that "it's West Texas" and comparing that to Odessa when I had to go back home to visit my dad. She has apologized several times so far for not keeping an open mind. And to be honest, its way better than I imagined.

Right now it's 59 deg, and while that might not sound like much to the people in the northern states, that's just down right a chilly morning for July in Texas. The State Park is great and will be sad to leave tomorrow.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
That sux... Ft. Davis is not the place to be broken down. Not many options in that part of the state.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Truck is acting up AGAIN!!!

In Ft Davis TX and the closest Ford dealership is over 100 miles away. All they could say is just to disconnect the battery.

I'm also playing camper mechanic big time on this trip.......my patience is being tested so far

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with testing the charging system. I have had problems with new batteries though. Bought a new one for my daughters truck in 2014 and the battery was junk in less than a month. Charging system was fine and the battery was replaced. That one lasted a year and a half.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
You did mention that both batteries had the same manufacture date. There's no chance that they accidentally put the same defective battery in when they replaced it, is there?

Got them at two different stores

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You did mention that both batteries had the same manufacture date. There's no chance that they accidentally put the same defective battery in when they replaced it, is there?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad they found your problem and now you can get on with your vacation schedule. Weird that 2 batteries were bad.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully this will be the last chapter to the story. Got my truck back today. Alternator was charging and they put the electrical system under a load test and there was no open circuits or other unexplained parasitic power draws.

It turns out it was another defective battery. For what it's worth, the service advisor said that OEM or Interstate Batteries are generally the ones that they see the least amount of problems with. And the Motorcraft battery 30.00 cheaper with a longer warranty.

The guys at Advance Auto were champs are refunded me the money for the original purchase. All in all....I've got my truck back and getting ready to head out on vacation tomorrow.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was unimpressed with the 2.7 that I test drove a couple years ago. Nothing happens for 2-3 seconds when you press the pedal, then it kinda pulls okay.

It was kind of amusing to see what looked like a lawn mower engine under the hood, though.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
patperry2766 wrote:
Dang !! That engine runs like a scalded ass ape !!

LOL.... I had a dealer loaner 2017 F150 4x4 CC Lariat for a day and was really impressed with the power and fuel economy of the 3.5. And yes scalded ass ape came to my mine as well.

Good luck on your battery issue.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
I can't fathom two separate batteries being bad, but stranger things have happened.

Did you ever fully charge that second battery with an external charger ?? (Third time suggesting that).

At this point, I would want to see the charging voltages for myself......not that I don't trust "mechanics" these days to do that.

AND if both of those things checks out, then you need to look for excess parasitic drains.....like a dome light left on, just for instance. Or a diagnostic scanner left plugged into the connector.....or something left plugged into a cigarette lighter socket that is hot all the time.

It is also possible for a shorted diode in the alternator to drag down the battery when everything is supposed to be OFF.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"