cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking and a CPap machines

CindyBR777
Explorer
Explorer
I use a ResMed BiPap machine. Is there anyone that has Boondocked with one? If so what kind of battery pack do you use? How many nights will the battery pack last? And lastly where did you purchase your battery pack?
2008 Ford F-250 King Ranch 4x4 diesal
2011 Keystone Avalanche 290RL
:)1 Spoiled Rotten long-haired Chihuahua named "Cricket"
1 Very Sweet West Highland Terrier named Winston
1 Sweetheart:W of a husband, Charles
:B
11 REPLIES 11

dennis1
Explorer
Explorer
I use a resumed 24volt CPAP. BATTERY cost $400 From Med supply or $328 from Amazon. Last about 2 -1/2 nights. So have to recharge the battery every other night. Takes about 3 hours to charge with Honda eu1000i generator. Run the CPAP with all heat setting off.
My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped with one since 1994. I use a CPap. At first, I bought some extension or lamp wire from a roll at the hardware store, clamped some flat brass/copper adapters, that fit over the battery posts in the battery compartment, onto the wire ends. I drilled a few small holes through wall and floor in bedroom, ran the wire then attached to cig lighiter. I then hooked up the Cpap w/adapters.

I changed that sevearl years ago when I went to two 6 volt batteries for the 5ver. Since I still had a couple of 12v batteries, I just put one in the bedroom , hook an adapter w/clamps to the battery w/the female cig lighter on other end (bought at walmart for less than $10) then plug a cheap 175 watt inverter (about $30) into that. Then I just plug my regular CPap power cord into the inverter. It will ususally last 3 days or more per/battery.

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
oldmattb wrote:
For tent camping, I use an auto battery jump box.

I know a CPAP is not a BiPap, but I hope this helps.

Matt B

Great idea, I had never thought of those.Does it last all night? More than one night?

I tried it one night with my jump box and a power inverter during a storm when the power went out in the house. It only lasted about 4 hours, but I did have the tank heater and hose heater still turned on. Plus my jump box was a couple years old. I just replaced the battery in the jump box and with the heaters off I think it would do way better.
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
So far I have just been running the genset at night. Not a big deal where we go. Another buddy runs his out in the bush with a 100' cord and runs it 24/7.

OldSmokey
Explorer
Explorer

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb wrote:
For tent camping, I use an auto battery jump box.

Matt B

Great idea, I had never thought of those.Does it last all night? More than one night?

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
I use an bypap machine too. I just purchased a 12 volt cigarette lighter power supply for it. I plan to plug it into a power outlet in the closet in front of my 5th wheel next to the bed. I also pulled down the setup instructions for my bypap model and I will tun off the tank heater and the hose heater. BTW those instruction to turn off heater also came with my last new hose or head set (can't remember which)that I received. I measured the amount of current draw with heaters off and I believe it should run over night from the 5th wheel batteries. I do have 2 @ 12 volt group 27 batteries hooked in parallel which is a total of 178ah. The bypap runs good off the power supply but I have NOT tested it all over night yet. But I do believe it will work out. It seemed like a cheaper solution then buying a dedicated battery backup. I still plan to come up with a solar setup to recharge my hose batteries. I do also have an inverter generator to recharge batteries when needed.
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
With both the cpap and the bipap machines you can use an inverter to provide power from your 12 volt battery. Most that I have seen use between 3 and 6 amps per hr. so you will lilely need two batteries and to recharge daily.
You can also go to the website for philips resmed and get 12 volt power cords for most models. which would eliminate the need for the inverter.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
What I do may not apply to you.
I have a CPAP model that runs on 12 V DC.
I use a power cord with a "brick" for home most of the time.
I have a 12 V power cord for use in the RV; it plugs directly into the 12 V power outlet and runs off the trailer batteries.
I suspect that I could go 2 or 3 days of my normal activities including CPAP without having to recharge the batteries.....but that does NOT include any run time on the furnace motor.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Resmed CPAP and it uses a 24-volt power supply. The only compatible battery was $500ish. I bought a used Remstar CPAP from a local dealer for $75 that I use for travel. In the RV, it plugs into the ciggie lighter outlet. For tent camping, I use an auto battery jump box.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

bigarm
Explorer
Explorer
Interested in this as well.