cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to sleep four in a trailer for two?

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
We have what we consider a "couple's" trailer. Our 25 footer has a front queen, a back bath, and a dinette and two small recliners in one large slide. For one weekend, we'd like another couple to join us, but I need ideas on the sleeping arrangements. I know the dinette converted to a bed is hardly wide and long enough for two adults. While we could certainly split our couple up and have one on a single air mattress on the floor, I'm just curious, has anyone rotated your guests 90 degrees on the dinette, with pillows against the wall, and added bed length at the foot? If so, how did you accomplish this?
28 REPLIES 28

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is only 20', had the 2 grand kids for the first time this week, 9 & 11.

Put a pup tent under the awning in the evening with all the old backpacking cushions and our sleeping bags. Although they weren't thrilled it worked fine.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
Just happened to have a couple pop in on us last week while we were on our camping vacation. Our son and his wife. Being in bear country and after having a few cocktails, it didn't allow the tent or motel option. Nor would I ever suggest that. Both sides of our family are very large, and everyone is used to sleeping like sardines anyway. She curled up on the dinette bed and he on a single sized air mattress. Worked well, even allowed walking room to the bathroom. Problem solved.

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
Here's how it works for us:

Cocktails for six. Dinner for four. It only sleeps two. ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

robotworks
Explorer
Explorer
I have a number of friends I like to spend camping weekends with but I can't think of a single one (or two) that I want to share my bedroom with. They either camp on their own, drive to where we are, get rooms buddy!, or we camp alone. Nothing wrong with that.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
We'll be on ATV trails and pretty remote, so renting a cabin or tenting it isn't a great option.

Why wouldn't a tent set up next to your RV work? It would be a perfect solution and you'll both have room and privacy. If you're remote then leave the door open or leave them a key to come in and use the bathroom, if necessary.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
Port and Starboard watches. Like on a destroyer.

I encourage our non-camper friends to join us at various locations if they want to and suggest a nearby motel. Most non-campers are not into sleeping in cramped quarters or on the ground in a tent otherwise they'd be RVers also.. Most of these friends turn their noses up at those accommodations but love to sit by our campfire, and then head over to the comfort of their motel at the end of the evening. They don't mind paying for the comfort.

Good point!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Port and Starboard watches. Like on a destroyer.

I encourage our non-camper friends to join us at various locations if they want to and suggest a nearby motel. Most non-campers are not into sleeping in cramped quarters or on the ground in a tent otherwise they'd be RVers also.. Most of these friends turn their noses up at those accommodations but love to sit by our campfire, and then head over to the comfort of their motel at the end of the evening. They don't mind paying for the comfort.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The living area sofa in our current coach folds out to a full size bed, but our first motorhome was a small 21' Class C with a full size cab over bed, a convertible dinette, and a swivel chair. On a few occasions, our then teenage granddaughter and my wife's sister both traveled with us at the same time. We found the best sleeping option then was for our granddaughter to sleep on the converted dinette while my sister-in-law slept on a foam mattress on the floor in the aisle. Given the choice, she preferred the floor for the firmer back support anyway. The bigger problem than sleeping space was the matter of privacy with four of us squeezed into the small space. Showering and changing clothes for instance, tended to fall in the "semi-private" category when all of us were trying to get ready for the night or heading out in the morning. Fortunately, we were a close knit family and just had a good chuckle when caught in an embarrassing situation. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Are you going to be somewhere that you can set up a tent?

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Give your guests a tent as you say goodnight to them & kick them out the door.

Yeah, our 5er has a fold out sofa. Been used very few times. Not very comfy, & it should not be. Don't want them to want to stay for too long.

Hey, it is a trailer, not the Marriott.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still amused at these ads that say sleep 5-8-???? whatever.
the old sits 6, feeds 4, sleeps 2 rules.
bumpy

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
Our original Class C was supposed to sleep 6. When I sold it I advertised that it would sleep 6 "extremely friendly people"
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
By a nice queen size air mattress that has the fabric/velcro covering, not a cheap plastic one. It will store in very little space and that way you have one IF you should need it another time. We used one when we tent camped and it was very comfortable.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
K Charles wrote:
I never tried this but with boonsfarm and weed you can sleep 5 or 6 on a double bed.

I'm old enough to know that you are absolutely right!

Ha ha. Years ago I bought a Winnebago Warrior Class C on a Toyota Chassis. The person I was buying it from told me it sleeps 4 sober and 6 drunk! I always got a kick out of that.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton