cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generac gen set for class C motorhome

jillhop
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering purchasing a 2008 Gulf Stream Class C (much newer and nicer than my current 1998 Coachmen) and the one I looked at has a Generac gen set. I currently have an Onan, and I know that Onan is the FAR more common brand. Are there issues with a Generac? Is service generally available? With my older Onan I have had to have it worked on several times by Cummins factory service, so I know that sooner or later I will also need service beyond maintenance on the Generac. This particular gen set has 975 hours and it looks to have been well-maintained by the local dealer who is selling the coach. This coach has been used as a rental unit and is exceptionally clean, 80,000 miles on the Chevy chassis.
Dog shows, racing and lure coursing with whippets!
My first RV, 1998 Coachmen 22RK, Ford E350 V10 Triton
4 REPLIES 4

jillhop
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport: I have a portable Generac generator for my house, but the place that services that (one of 320 service centers that you found) won't work on an RV generator. Somehow they are a different kettle of fish (or maybe they don't want to work on one that is buried in a hole in a motor vehicle).

I travel with dogs to dog shows, and frequently am parked for days at a time in an asphalt parking lot with no power hookup. I use my generator a LOT in order to run air conditioning.
Dog shows, racing and lure coursing with whippets!
My first RV, 1998 Coachmen 22RK, Ford E350 V10 Triton

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2012 Nexus came with the 4KW Generac but they switched to Onan starting with the 2013's. When I asked why they switched I was told that they had concerns regarding parts availability vs Onan.

That being said I have had zero issues with mine over the last 4 year though we only have about 73 hours on it. At least 66 per cent of your time in the rig is off the grid but with our two Grp 27 batteries we just don't have much need to run the genny. It usually gets run more for exercise than any real need for power.

There is a local Generic dealer here in Tucson that provides parts and service. I do however buy fuel, oil and air filters two at a time so that I will always have a spare no matter where we travel. Like just about anything else with proper maintenance you should expect no problems.

:C

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a search on the generac.com web site for service centers within 200 miles of Boston, MA, and their web site returned 320 service centers. I think you can find a service center near you.

Last Saturday (2 days) ago, I inherited free, a brand new never used, still in the box Generac gasoline powered water transfer pump. If the generators work like the water pump, it's gotta be awesome!

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Gulfstrean class A with a Generac 5500 watt gen with over 1600 hours on it. It has worked flawlessly since I bought the motorhome 10 years ago. I understand Generac no longer makes rv generators, but normal maintenance items, filters, etc are readily available at my local RV dealer.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad