cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Scan Tools

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. What are the best programs out there for trans temp etc. 2011 ford e350 v10. I know scan Guage at $156. But are there any equivalents for android phone devices I have a obdII bluetooth device and I was using the torque app
8 REPLIES 8

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I`ve been running dash command on my IPhone for years. it gives me all the info I need, and then some. I have also just started running it on my tablet. with the tablet I can have 6 gauges set up to monitor anything I want. many more features and cheaper than the Scan Gauge.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have the torque app with a higher end bt scanner. Every vehicle computer displays different info. Be sure your combo has the trans temp available.

Trans temp with clamp on bullet sensor should be easy if nit available through the computer.

Bedlam
What I don't see in the DashCommand app is the ability to input custom codes to get information out of the 4R100 transmission. However, purchasing ScanXL will allow you to use the Windows version with custom codes... Apps have been available since Palm devices became popular in the 90's but sometimes a dedicated appliance has better usability than a multi-function device.

There are cheaper alternatives than the ScanGauge, but this tool is easy to deploy in stock form, read data when driving and customizable for manufacturer specific codes. I do not have financial stake in this company and actually sold off my gauge after selling my 2005 Ford and finding that my 2015 Ram had the parameters I wanted available on the OEM dash display. The person that bought mine got the benefit of having all custom codes already programmed for his vehicle.

The OP will need to choose an app, vehicle power cord and some type of vehicle mount if he wishes to use his phone for constant parameter display. This may limit him using his phone for navigation and hands-free calling while using the OBDII app, so that is another consideration.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
NCMODELA wrote:
....I have a obdII bluetooth device ....

Bedlam, Desert.....
Having a dedicated tool like the Scan Gauge is nice for the very reasons you pointed out. But, the OP already owns a wireless ODBII tool. If he wants to do this on the cheap he can download $15 DashCommand app and have the solution.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Scan Gauge for sale on craigslist for $85.

Shipping to anywhere couldn't be too expensive.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
There are other devices out there, but the ScanGauge is simple and reliable. It will show any of four selected parameters and be programmed to display information unique to your vehicle, engine and transmission. It plugs into the OBDII port and also gets its power from the port, so there are no additional connections or splices needed. This also makes the device portable between vehicles. I prefer this always on mode verses activating a smart phone app, connecting via BT and having to run additional power to keep your display active.

Edge makes a graphical OBDII monitoring tool if you prefer color visuals instead of the backlit letters and numbers of the ScanGauge.

X2

You can't beat a Scan Gauge for all of its many functions. I run with trans fluid and coolant temps displayed along with real time and average mpg. The 10 per cent fuel savings realized starting with the first trip quickly paid for the SC. As noted when we switched from the TT and F-150 to our Class C I just took the SC and reprogrammed it.

There are a couple of dozen other display available but these 4 work the best for me. Never needed a code read but don't forget the Scan Gauge will do that too. If you cannot see your trans temps you are probably cooking your tranny... they get hotter, a lot quicker than most folks realize.

:C

Bedlam
There are other devices out there, but the ScanGauge is simple and reliable. It will show any of four selected parameters and be programmed to display information unique to your vehicle, engine and transmission. It plugs into the OBDII port and also gets its power from the port, so there are no additional connections or splices needed. This also makes the device portable between vehicles. I prefer this always on mode verses activating a smart phone app, connecting via BT and having to run additional power to keep your display active.

Edge makes a graphical OBDII monitoring tool if you prefer color visuals instead of the backlit letters and numbers of the ScanGauge.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
I've used an app called DashCommand with my ELM327 wireless ODB II device. I typically use it for code reading, diagnosis, and clearing codes but it does a have a customizeable dashboard where you can monitor different PID parameters and display them.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!