cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Win 7 to Win 10

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I originally had Win 7 Pro installed on a ASUS laptop that could use either Win 7 or Win 10 - because my desktop was Win 7 and wanted to match and not have to learn a new OS. Bought a new Desktop and it ONLY came with Win 10 ...

Laptop is giving me some problems and want to upgrade it to Win 10 Pro.

Is the best way to completely clear the SSD Main drive, including the OS, and then install Win 10 Pro from a CD/USB (MS offers either/both) and will it install directly and automatically?

Laptop has Samsung 500gb SSD as C drive, and an additional 500gb back-up storage drive - D drive with lots of data. Do I need to dump both SSD's for a clean install, or just the OS drive.

Sort of just plug-in and it installs itself? I'd prefer a clean install, rather than the Win 7 to Win 10 updates.

Any advice appreciated ... thx M44
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
7 REPLIES 7

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
It's usually best to do a clean install when possible. Format the drive that you are going to install Win 10 on (usually drive C). If doing this with a USB thumbdrive, make sure you can boot from it. You don't have to do anything with your second drive. Windows won't mess with it.

I did a fresh install of Win 10 on my 6 year old Toshiba Portege two days ago. It went without a hitch. I then updated to Windows Creators with no problem. So far everything seems to be working. Windows found all the needed drivers for my system except for software for the 'Fn' key which brings up a setup menu.

Your experience may be different, so make sure you can round up all the needed drivers for your system.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
MY machines (Intel 7700) are faster than my ISP connection ... but I'm thinking it's better to install a CD/USB OS, than to download - that way, I have it in my hands and don't depend on the Comcast ISP we have here, which sometimes at random, just disappears for minutes at a time ... not completely dependable as we are somewhat rural and the cable system is a bit dated...

Unless we ask Comcast, then it's not dated, it's perfect - NOT. ๐Ÿ™‚

And I agree with the privacy issues - and will delete or shut off as much as possible. But, in the real world today, anyone that uses the web or does business with any company that uses the web, we're like an open book anyway ... the web knows more about me than I know about me -- I sometimes go online just to make sure I know who I am ๐Ÿ™‚
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I did simple upgrade from Win 7 - didn't lose any data. Depending on how fast your machine is it could take a while. My biggest issues with Window 10 are privacy and auto updates - there are solutions available on the net.
Kevin

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
The laptop has dual internal Samsung 500gb SSD, one with OS (a 960 EVO = C drive) and one for storage (850 EVO = D drive) They are not RAID configured, that is, no mirror. Should I remove the data from the D drive as well as the C drive to do a clean install? I'm thinking the D drive works just like an external drive in this case, as I need to actually choose it to save data to it. Is that correct?

I want to do a clean install on this, because I'm getting some glitches in the music and recording apps. And when I clear it, and reboot, it won't allow me to reinstall the apps. So, it's something internal and I can't track it down - and am a bit tech-dumb ... so, I uninstalled the music app completely, and when I try to reinstall it, it gives me the same error window.

Error
This program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

This may well be a factor of the initial configuration when the original OS went to Win 7 instead of Win 10 ... there are a few other issues too, from that OS, because the PC only works with mouse, not with fingerpad. Which I knew, as there are no Win 7 pad drivers for the setup -- Now, with the upgrade to Win 10 Pro, all this should disappear and both my PC's will be Win 10.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
I had no problem with the update version. It's easier. You can try it and if it doesn't work to your liking, then do a clean install.

BE SURE to back up everything first. I had no files corrupted, but always good to be careful.

Best way to go. The backup is definitely needed. It only takes one hiccup to make your data go away.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
I had no problem with the update version. It's easier. You can try it and if it doesn't work to your liking, then do a clean install.

BE SURE to back up everything first. I had no files corrupted, but always good to be careful.

X2 - zero problems with the upgrade on two ASUS laptops.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board