cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper way to hand crank out Roadtrek awning?

DoubleVeteran
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I picked up a 2011 Roadtrek popular 190 last week and took it out camping this weekend. I tested everything at the dealer and he showed me how to open and close the awning. Crank it all the way out, (it kinda hangs out pretty far...) then extend the side support poles to the side of the RV, or the ground. I did this at the campground, and it worked find the first time. I closed it at night, and when I did the same deployment method the next morning, the left side bracket that holds the awning (crank side) broke off! I checked the bracket and it is only held on by three short screws from the inside of the RV that only go about 1/8" deep into the bracket (which is the thickness of the bracket).

So now I need to fix this, and I'd like to know if the method I'm using to open the awning is correct?

Thnx,
DV
7 REPLIES 7

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information and update!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

DoubleVeteran
Explorer
Explorer
A quick update....drilled out the old pop-rivets and used 3/16" x 3/4" pop-rivets with the bracket. Did the trick and all working well now 🙂

DV

DoubleVeteran
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update:

OK, I removed the awning and found that's it's not carriage-bolts or screws that hold the mounting brackets, but pop-rivets. Each bracket is pop-rvieted from the outside with 3 each pop-rivets; makes sense since I don't see anyway to run bolts from the insde, which would be much more secure.

So when I tried to roll it all the way out (as the dealer showed me...), it popped the heads off the pop-rivets. I will be doing the walking-out method once I get this fixed in the future.

So to fix, I plan to drill out what's left of the rivets and install new ones. The rivets go through the bracket, then a metal spacer (secured in some way to the fiberglass topper), and then into the fiberglass topper, so I need to make sure I get the right rivet type, thickness and length. I'm definitely open to any advice for the reinstall.

Thnx for roll-out advice and help!

DV

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
I crank out our Fiamma awning about 4 feet and then remove the fertical poles from the metal cover and lower them to the ground partly extended; this takes the weight off the side of the RV. Then I roll it out a few more feet, reposition the poles to beneath the awning and then roll it out the final couple feet (vut not quite all the way) and extend the poles and position them so they are plumb (vertical). After this is all done I tie some guy ropes to each end of the awning tube which helps to secure the awning a little better in light breezy conditions. I'd never roll the awning out all the way and then put the vertical supports up, too much stress on the anchor points on the side of the RV. The Fiamma is a fine product and will last a long time if you just take care and also roll it up before you go to bed at night or when you're going to be gone from the campsite for a few hours in case strong winds come up (or have a neighbor camper watch for such conditions and roll your awning in if needed).

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
oh man.

you may know that Fiamma had a mass murder, and probably not operating.

gowesty.com is where I have been getting my fiamma parts- and usually cheaper than fiamma was.

not sure about your concern or the fix...I will look more closely at my awning next time I use.

I have been extending legs to ground and 'walking" it out to try toreduce the weight load on the van mounts...so it takes a minute.

if i have help, I can put a hook in my dewalt and Spouse can "crank it" while I support the awning to extension.

Thanks for posting I'll look at mine and maybe prevent same happening

mike

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
That bracket AND the where the awning arms attaches to the side of the RV are common places they pull away from.

I would seriously check the bottom brackets on the side of the RV too.

I lived thru a tornado in a CG where the awning ripped before I could get it in. Replaced the awning and on my way.

Only to find out months later the bolts along the bottom had come loose too and the awning repair guy did not see it. Common symptom is having to lift the arm to seat on the top means loose lower bolts.

Want to know how you know if the bolts of the awning arms on the side of your RV are loose?........water on the rug INSIDE every time it rains. And that takes 2 repair guys to figure out where the water is coming from.

If the top bolts where loose the previous owner could have a had weather incident also. Drive longer screws into top and CHECK those bottom bolts too.

Because most are attached at the floor level, the flooring is plywood and separates, the screws holes may be too big. Then you have to put a metal plate inside to hook it up to.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Those brackets are supposed to be through bolted to the body, they should have square holes for carriage bolts.
That is how you operate them, though I often extend the legs to the ground before full extension, but you should not have to.
-- Chris Bryant