cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Ford Explorer mass flow indicator code

Motor_City_Swag
Explorer
Explorer
I follow all of the instructions in the Ford manual regarding flat towing a 2017 Ford Explorer with auto trans and 3.9l v6 engine. I run the engine for 5 minutes, put the trans in Drive then reverse then neutral, shut the engine off and open the knife switch on the negative battery cable. When I am done flat towing I the close the knife switch and put the car in park and star it. The problem is a 0068 mass flow indicator code pops up everytime, I clear the code and during normal driving every thing is fine it doesn't come back this only happens when I am done towing. Has anyone else experienced this code coming in or can explain it?

Motor City Swagman 2000 Bounder 36S
Ford V-10, Banks Power Pack w/ TC,
BrakeBuddy,Davis Tru Trac,Safe T Plus,Aventa II & Xplorer Sport Trac

:W
4 REPLIES 4

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
TiffinOwner2016 wrote:
We just purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer V6 FWD and had a tow kit installed. We have conflicting information from Remco vs. the owners manual regarding flat towing. Remco says we can and the manual says we cannot. As we have just installed the tow kit, we are of course hoping to find answers. We came across your post from 2 years ago and are wondering if you can tell us if your Explorer is also a V6 FWD (not ecoboost), and what your towing experience has been?

Thanks so much!

V6 Explorers (regular and EcoBoost) can be flat towed. The EcoBoost 4-cylinder cannot be.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

TiffinOwner2016
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer V6 FWD and had a tow kit installed. We have conflicting information from Remco vs. the owners manual regarding flat towing. Remco says we can and the manual says we cannot. As we have just installed the tow kit, we are of course hoping to find answers. We came across your post from 2 years ago and are wondering if you can tell us if your Explorer is also a V6 FWD (not ecoboost), and what your towing experience has been?

Thanks so much!

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Motor City Swagman wrote:
I follow all of the instructions in the Ford manual regarding flat towing a 2017 Ford Explorer with auto trans and 3.9l v6 engine. I run the engine for 5 minutes, put the trans in Drive then reverse then neutral, shut the engine off and open the knife switch on the negative battery cable. When I am done flat towing I the close the knife switch and put the car in park and star it. The problem is a 0068 mass flow indicator code pops up everytime, I clear the code and during normal driving every thing is fine it doesn't come back this only happens when I am done towing. Has anyone else experienced this code coming in or can explain it?

I am also flat towing a 2017 explorer. I occasionally (not always) get the code and it eventually clears itself).

The only pattern I can see is this....When I reconnect the battery (positive terminal in my case) ( I have a button attached to a solenoid rather than a knife switch but same idea), if I don't start the vehicle within about 5 minutes, the check engine light will come on and I get the code. If I start it in less than 5 minutes, I don't get the code...

Not sure if that means anything but just my observation..

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Motor City Swagman wrote:

It is likely that the power is back-feeding by grounding via the motorhome ground connection. That is confusing the computer. According to Roadmaster you need to disconnect the positive battery cable which will prevent this problem. The real technical problem is the vehicle and motorhome share a common ground when connected. As soon as you add a supplemental braking system that is required. You now have a hot connection as well. The ground through the motorhome is a very poor ground but is enough to partially bring online the vehicle computers.
FMCA member