cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoky Mountain National Park

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got a couple of questions about the area. We are debating about one of the park service campgrounds because of not having hookups, or a campground outside the park that has hookups. We are going in Oct, so heating and cooling aren't an issue, but we do have a residential fridge, so we'd probably have to use a cooler since we don't have a generator.

Also we normally take our golden retriever, but wondering about bears. She loves to camp, but hates to be in the camper, so she sleeps outside tethered to the steps, but goes with us when we leave the campsite.

Thanks for any thoughts.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
15 REPLIES 15

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
I was just over there yesterday, I would suggest Tremont or the KOA next door in Townsend, both have nice water sites if one is available. Lot less traffic over there, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg was like a zoo!!!

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Cataloochee CG for 6 days a month ago, I think almost every camper had a dog or 2 including us, no hook-ups and a pretty tight road getting in and out, but once your there it is really nice.

you can walk down the dead end 2 1/2 mile road past old church and school and house and barn looking for elk and turkeys, still can't take the dogs on the trails but you can do plenty of walking with them, very little traffic and super quiet.

It would be really nice in the fall.

we pulled a 25ft TT in and out, wouldn't want to do it every day but it can be done.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Tremont and liked it a lot. It is right outside the park and a short drive to Cades Cove. We went to Cades two days and took our dogs. Had picnic lunches at wider pull overs and set up chairs and our dogs were with us. Some trails didn't allow them and we didn't go on them. On the westside there is an overlook road that was really neat with spectacular views. At Tremont we park for a couple of nights by a county deputy and he was a wealth of information on places to see and places to go. Next trip we are going to the eastside of the park.

Jenanne
Explorer
Explorer
Try up the creek rv park very simple but full hook ups in pigeon forge... we had a reservation but had to cancel trip but looked good also there are several doggie day cares in the area we looked into....

HappyCamper89
Explorer
Explorer
I would not leave the dog outside at Cades Cove at night. We have seen bear and coyote within 100ft of our camper there .. As others have mentioned, there are nice campgrounds in Townsend, which is only about 7 miles from Cades Cove. We prefer Tremont Hills Campground.....nice waterfront sites.
2009 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB
2007 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Extended Cab Duramax

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
ken56 wrote:
Check out the private CG's in Townsend. They are right at the entrance to the park almost and can give you the electric you need for your refrigerator. Cades Cove CG is rustic but the sites are fairly close together IMO. October is leaf peeping season so things will be busy and crowded so get a reservation asap.

The Townsend campgrounds are great. We've stayed at Big Meadows Family campground and really liked it.

I would stay in Townsend as well we've stayed at both. I don't think it would be safe for your dog outside after dark,lots of Coyotes' in the area and they run in packs. I know plenty of people that's had their animals go missing

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Yes stay outside the park and you and your dog will be happy, but do go to Cades Cove for Hiking and the history.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
ken56 wrote:
Check out the private CG's in Townsend. They are right at the entrance to the park almost and can give you the electric you need for your refrigerator. Cades Cove CG is rustic but the sites are fairly close together IMO. October is leaf peeping season so things will be busy and crowded so get a reservation asap.

The Townsend campgrounds are great. We've stayed at Big Meadows Family campground and really liked it.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

ken56
Explorer
Explorer

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
If a bear got your buddy the media would have a field day with it, so they are avoiding that buy having these rules, I know for sure you can't leave your pet outside at the camper even if you just walked to the bathroom or took stuff to the dumpster, and as you mite guess always on a teather.

we camped at Cades Cove last year and the camper next to us had a small jack russell that barked non-stop, a little hard to take but we couldn't hear it much over the screaming of MA and PA Kettle telling it to shut up, it seemed like they never talked to each other unless they were on opposite sides of the camper.

it kinda made for entertainment while we were cooking, and the looks that other campers were giving them was hilarious.

Dar

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
1stgenfarmboy wrote:
I think most rangers frown on dogs being outside alone.

and most trails are no dogs trails, we take our two small dogs but they stay in the camper when we are not there and at night.

honistly it seems to me most National Parks are not real pet friendly, but I understand why they are like that.

Thanks for the heads up on the no dogs on the trails. Looks like there are only 2 trails that dogs are allowed on. She loves to hike with us, so we will either have to leave her home , :(or go someplace else.

She's really funny about the camper. We've brought her in when it was raining, or cold, and she doesn't like it. She goes to the door, and does this noise that sounds like Chewbacca in Star Wars, that is the way she tries to talk to us. If we don't let her out she will bark at us. Then we put her on the tether, and she curls up under the steps and sleeps. Maybe she can feel it moving and doesn't like it.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
I think most rangers frown on dogs being outside alone.

and most trails are no dogs trails, we take our two small dogs but they stay in the camper when we are not there and at night.

honistly it seems to me most National Parks are not real pet friendly, but I understand why they are like that.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
It might not to be a good idea to leave the dog out. Lots of skunks roaming around at night.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
bgum wrote:
October is busy in the area. Make plans early.

Campsites are already getting scarce, I'm hoping to get some info and have if booked tonight. Cades Cove looks to be about 75% booked already.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH