cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight stay in Birmingham?

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Headed from Memphis to Atlanta in August, we are looking for a park for an overnight stay in Birmingham. Would like to be close to I-22 or I-20.
20 REPLIES 20

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few places around Birmingham, but not on the Memphis to Atlanta route. If you can boondock, the Bass Pro Shop, east of the city, in Trussville may work. Otherwise I would drive on to Pell City, where there are some options around Lake Logan Martin.

Be aware that there is some major construction on I-20 in downtown Birmingham that can be a real headache.

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Will do! Thank you for the heads up.

You guys a right, there are very few parks around Birmingham, it's like a no mans land for rv's.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I have not camped there. Have fun and be safe Atlanta traffic is no fun I here. I always try and go through on a Sunday morning. If you have more than one day give Tannehill Ironworks State Park a look. Lots of history there.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
2naEagle wrote:
It looks to me that it is about a 3 1/2 hr drive to Birmingham from Memphis. To get to Oak Mt. or Hoover park will take you 30 minutes or more (I think probably a hour because of road construction and traffic) off your intended route. so you can be a long way down the road in that time. The CW camp ground in Oxford is nothing fancy but is easy on and off I20.
So how many hours do you want to drive in one day? If you don't mind me asking what part of Atlanta are you going?
There is a small camp ground just before you get to Birmingham I know nothing about. Five Mile Creek Canoe and Camping

We are staying at Stonemountain campground in Atlanta. We have two little ones so we will be hitting the aquarium and museums.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Earlier this year we stayed at Five Mile Creek Canoe & Camping off of I-22. Easy access from the highway - exit 87. It was a very interesting stay - FHU and it was relatively cheap. Can't remember the amount - either $20 or $25. And... We paid the mayor. Yup - he came out to meet us at the city owned CG to collect. Their number is: 205-910-4746.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
In the past, US72 to Muscle Shoals and SR157 to Cullman wasn't a bad option, when traveling Memphis to Birmingham. But the completion of I-22 to Birmingham and completion of the the I-65 interchange has made it a far better option.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you could go through Cullman on US 72. We have stayed at the campground there some years ago. It gets good reviews as others have said on this thread.

We have also stayed at Pell City near I-20. Good for an overnight.

We have also stayed atTannihill Iron Works state park and Birmingham South, but both would be way off your course.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups wrote:
DinTulsa wrote:
Headed from Memphis to Atlanta in August, we are looking for a park for an overnight stay in Birmingham. Would like to be close to I-22 or I-20.

when we go thru that area,we stay at Cullman C/G in Cullman,Ala...nice pull thrus and really friendly,helpful people run the place...Chuck

Pretty far from your route.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:

when we go thru that area,we stay at Cullman C/G in Cullman,Ala...nice pull thrus and really friendly,helpful people run the place...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
There is really not much to choose from around Birmingham along your route I-25 is fairly new and not much has been developed at the exits. Oak Mountain SP and Hoover Campground are pretty far out of your way. I know there are some campgrounds by Lake Logan Martin, near Pell City. Don't know much about them, except that you can see them from I-20. Probably OK for an overnight stay if space is available. A lot of these type campgrounds cater to fishermen and fill up on weekends and holidays.

Edit: Looking at reviews, I would probably go with Lakeside Landing, just south of I-20 near Pell City.

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
AL Exit 287 is Rickwoods Cavern SP. It is north of Birmingham. We stayed there on a trip to Florida. There are about 12 sites, cave, pool, gated.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
H E R E - Guin area is a possibility, that is actually in line with what you asked...close to I-22 or I-20. And would put you close to equidistant between Memphis and Atlanta. Since you're just looking for an overnight stop, this should work for you. Not a whole lot in that area. I had family in the Jasper to Sulligent general area, there's just not a lot to offer, unless you want to get really far off the interstate in the Bankhead NF.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
we stayed at the KOA South of Birmingham.
Birmingham South KOA
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
If can boondock, there is a Bass Proshop at the Leeds Exit on I20 that has RV parking and a big gravel lot on the NE side of the parking lot. There is a nice outlet mall just 1 minute away for shopping and restaurants nearby.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian