cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thoughts on Eagle Cap 1165

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I know many here have newer HOST campers and I do like the look and floorpans. Any Eagle Cap users? Experiences with construction, warranty, durability, actual weights? I know they are heavy. The website lists dry weight of 4855 but as usual doesn't list what an actual weight normally optioned and wet might be. We would be ordering without a generator and probably without A/C.

We are also considering Host Mammoth but don't like the fact it doesn't have a real oven which we use quite a bit.

I like the layout of the 1165 with theater seating and a real gas burning oven.

Any relevant experience is appreciated.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.
21 REPLIES 21

Bedlam
You should know by now that I do my research and do not rely on hearsay or FUD to make decisions.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
The Dana 80 is rated for 5250 kg

http://xj.cdevco.net/auto/pdfs/dana_axle_ratings.pdf

The AAM 11.5 is rated for 4950 kg and the AAM 11.8 is closer to the Dana 80 but my links are dead to the AAM resources.

5250 kg = 11,500 pounds.
Thank you for that hard information - a first!
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
The website lists dry weight of 4855 but as usual doesn't list what an actual weight normally optioned and wet might be. We would be ordering without a generator and probably without A/C.

My '15 1160 with NO genny or A/C and NONE of my things or water in it(it did have full propane/2 12v batts) was 4800 when I weighed it a few weeks ago
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

Bedlam
The Dana 80 is rated for 5250 kg

http://xj.cdevco.net/auto/pdfs/dana_axle_ratings.pdf

The AAM 11.5 is rated for 4950 kg and the AAM 11.8 is closer to the Dana 80 but my links are dead to the AAM resources.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
. . . Both AAM 11.5 and Dana 80 rear axles are rated around 11,000 lbs from the OEM.

I've read that on several internet posts but never from a manufacturer's publication. Can you offer any help there? Source?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

Bedlam
You can carry one of these triple slides on a Class 3 truck, but don't expect to have sufficient capacity remaining to tow anything with a tongue weight. I would guess the rear of a DRW truck weighs 3500-4000 lbs empty. Both AAM 11.5 and Dana 80 rear axles are rated around 11,000 lbs from the OEM.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
work2much wrote:

I am worried about weight not pulling power. I don't want to exceed GAWR on rear axle.

I think your truck's rear axle may be rated for 11,000 pounds by the axle manufacturer and then derated by the vehicle maker to match the rear tire load capacity.

(I've seen the same axle on different vehicle models and that axle had different ratings on each model BUT matched the tire rating for each particular model.)

I have NOT seen an axle manufacturers chart with it's maximum axle weight rating.
Published axle ratings are done by the individual Vehicle makers.
And those ratings are based on tire load capacity.

It may be beneficial for you to know what axle is on your truck and what axle rating was assigned to it by the axle manufacturer.

Even so, you would want to upgrade the trucks wheels and tires under those circumstances.
And then there is the question of load inertia and braking capacity.

It's as complex or simple as one desires.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
sent you a pm
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Spearfisherman7
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
cartmancartman wrote:
The 1165 is only 600lbs more than my Lance 1172, my Ram 3500 pulls it fine. Would 600 lbs make that much of a difference?

I am worried about weight not pulling power. I don't want to exceed GAWR on rear axle. Looking at the numbers I feel that's inevitable. We have a solar system that adds some weight in batteries, Bikes, camera gear and we stock quite a bit of food and clothing and usually full water tank unless we know we are going someplace that has it. The trucks GVWR is 14,000 pounds. I am ok with going over a bit if we are under on GAWR and tires, but looking at this set up the way we would fit it I think it's too much camper weight. even without generator and air conditioning.

I am sending HOST a message to ask more detailed questions about what their campers weigh. They used to advertise them shown on scales. Hopefully they have some honest and accurate numbers that will work for us.

Thanks for all the replies.

My mammoth is 6100 loaded for a trip. Full tank of water.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
cartmancartman wrote:
The 1165 is only 600lbs more than my Lance 1172, my Ram 3500 pulls it fine. Would 600 lbs make that much of a difference?

I am worried about weight not pulling power. I don't want to exceed GAWR on rear axle. Looking at the numbers I feel that's inevitable. We have a solar system that adds some weight in batteries, Bikes, camera gear and we stock quite a bit of food and clothing and usually full water tank unless we know we are going someplace that has it. The trucks GVWR is 14,000 pounds. I am ok with going over a bit if we are under on GAWR and tires, but looking at this set up the way we would fit it I think it's too much camper weight. even without generator and air conditioning.

I am sending HOST a message to ask more detailed questions about what their campers weigh. They used to advertise them shown on scales. Hopefully they have some honest and accurate numbers that will work for us.

Thanks for all the replies.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Real world weights (including independent axle weights) is provided by an Eagle Cap 1165 owner on the EC owner's forum.
You might find it helpful: http://www.eaglecapowners.com/owners/showthread.php?tid=11

Full with water 14,765 lbs

Thanks. I have weighed our truck and I know it's a bit over 9,000. So I would be somewhere around 15,500+ I suspect.

Not sure what GMC rear axle is rated at but too heavy for our truck. We would also have quite a bit more stuff I suspect as we are living almost full time in the camper. Plus more batteries.

If I had a 5500 this would be a no brainer. Just too heavy for our truck.

I *think* the Host campers are a little lighter.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Real world weights (including independent axle weights) is provided by an Eagle Cap 1165 owner on the EC owner's forum.
You might find it helpful: http://www.eaglecapowners.com/owners/showthread.php?tid=11

Full with water 14,765 lbs
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
southerlytide2cm wrote:
We have a EC1165 love it heavy yes our truck is a chevy 1ton supersprings air bag and helwig big wig sway bar bought from D&H RV NC great service few little problem in the beginning but ALP and D&H fixed them. We have the theater seating no more twisting around the dinette to watch tv.very comfy.just sold our house and we're fulltimers. Bucket list started./Users/charlesmordenti/Desktop/photo 2.JPG

Thank you for your input. Congrats on full timing!

Have you weighed the Truck with Camper? Curious what real world weights are.

Looking at the build your own EC says my camper would weigh 5825 wet. That's without generator or A/C. Adding the weight of our stuff and us it looks like we would be easily adding another 1200 pounds for full tank of fuel, people, dogs, possessions, solar batteries etc.

We are getting close to a 7,000+ pound load on a our 3500. I believe it's rated around 5,000 pounds. I think this would exceed the rear axle rating of 9750.

I really like the look of the Eagle Cap but I think that's just too far over trucks capacity for my comfort zone.