cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pro Pride 1400 hitch - need help

leoshats
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone, I need any of your professional experience regarding to use the Pro Pride hitch please. One and half month ago the RV dealer has installed this PP hitch in my brand new trailer. 5 times I've connected w/out any problem and spent about 20-25 min. for each connection, but yesterday was the horrible day for me.I spent about 3 hours ander the sun and the temperature of 95F. Point is that, the main hitch head changed the angle to down (will try to attach photos) and I couldn't to do anything to move the head up. I've adjusted the distribution bars, but everything was the same - the hitch bar stinger couldn't come in. I called to Sean (ProPride), sent a photos and he said "the only thing you'll need to use a bottle jack, get the hitch head up to level and you'll be able to back right in." Finally I have connected, but still DON'T understanding: 1. What happened with my hitch head and how can I fix this problem. As far as I understood this head's adjusting with the lift jack is abnormal and what should I request from dealer to fix this problem?

2. Yoke of my hitch is very flexible, not stable, playing and changing the angle during the connection. What should I do to stabilise the hitch head and not allowed to change angle? 

3. Also hitch head every time change angle from left to right and vice versa as well and not stable in one position (playing). Should I use the distribution bars to handle the hitch head?

4. Should I take the lift jack in each travel!?? It's very heavy unit and extra weight for my truck.
Please help me with your proffesional advice. We are staying now in camping and I didn't disconnect truck from the trailers hitch, since I'm very afraid to get this problems once again. After 4th of July Holiday will go to dealer. I greatly appreciate in advance your help and support. Best regards, Leonid
68 REPLIES 68

leoshats
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning and thank you for your advice, time and support, first of all. I thought you are talking about the bolts which affected the trailer's coupler. Unfortunately I can't to reinstall it since the bolts have the special stile of head and coming only from the bottom through the hitch head to the platform with welded ball. Thank you again for everything and gave a wonderful Holiday! Best LS

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The stinger won't insert easily unless the hitch head angle is level with the stinger. You should be able to adjust the head angle by adjusting the straps just like you would with the jacks. In the picture above it looks like the straps need to be loosened to drop the bars and allow the head to pitch upwards. The weight of the bars should allow for this once the straps are loosened.

As for the bolts contacting the head, should they not be installed the other way so that the threads are down below the head? The head of the bolt won't sit as high and should clear under.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

leoshats
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone and Bobby, I greatly appreciate your attention, support and time concerning in this matter. I live in Edgewood, about 40-45 minutes from you and would appreciate if you find time to help us. Sean Woodruff (ProPride) promised to send to me the 3P weight distribution jacks just for replace my LCI Straptek Weight Tension Technology Kit, however yesterday I got conversation with another PP user who use the Straptek and he never had any problem with this WD system. Honestly, I'm very tired of an endless problems with my PP hitch... Just once I was able to use the PP system without problems in May and after that you can see the whole story on the previous pages ... Bobby, may I contact with you via email, or phone? My email is ls6103@yahoo.com. Thank you everyone again for your time and support and I will be very grateful for any ideas that you have. Best regards, Leonid (or just Leon).

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
The main thing I found about hitching up and in hitching was getting the stinger level, The head on your trailer should be loose enough to move when hooking up. I live in Catonsville. can I be of any help? I love my Pro Pride Bobby

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would lose the Straptech system and go with the jacks as already mentioned. They will allow you to position the hitch head at any angle you choose and keep it there.

As far as the bolts hitting when towing, I think that is also a fault of using the Straptech system. The coupler is not supposed to move left and right when latched on the ball but it HAS to be able to move up and down for the trailer/truck combo to go over bumps and dips. I believe that is what that large bolt on either side of the Yoke is for- to allow the up/down movement while fastening the yoke to the head and preventing lateral movement.

I believe the Straptech system is not allowing you to level out the hitch head and when the WD is applied, the hitch head is again pointing downward, which raises the rear of the head, which makes the bolts come too close to the A frame and the straps cannot hold it where it belongs. This would especially be apparent when the truck is pointing down and the trailer is on the level such as when first exiting a gas station or slanted driveway or going over a raised railroad track crossing. Using the jacks would fix this issue and hold the hitch head in a fixed position but the yoke would allow the up/down movement.

At least that is how I see it but could be wrong.

Edit: One more comment. Please inspect your ball right at the base. From your pictures, it looks like the weld may have failed in that area. It could be just grease but it certainly looks to me like a cracked weld at the base of the ball in both of the pictures above.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

leoshats
Explorer
Explorer

leoshats
Explorer
Explorer

leoshats
Explorer
Explorer
One more issue I have. The hitch head upper bolts hurt the coupler during the towing and the left side is more affected than the right. I've understood that the hitch head can't be moving up and down while towing with the weight distribution engaged and the coupler latched on the ball, but please see photos. Anyone has any idea what is happened? Thank you.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Drew A. wrote:
It looks to me like your entire problem is caused by the strap system.

On a regular ProPride, the bars that connect the spring ends to the jacks completely fix the hitch head from rotating downward. They hold the hitch head rigidly so when the stinger is backed into position, the head cannot move.

Have you asked Sean how this strap system is supposed to work? It looks like a fail to me.

The straps are indeed the problem here, just like chains create the very same problem. Using solid struts (EDIT, correctly called Jacks), they can force the angle of the hitch head up or down. Soft connections will not allow this.

That's why Hensley offers a support bar for their chain systems and I think the OP desperately needs something like this from Propride. Heck, the chain and strap set ups should not be sold without one! It's a must have if you cannot use or opt not to use the standard struts.

https://hensleymfg.com/product/1818/

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
leoshats wrote:
Thank you, Drew A., for your prompt response. But anyway the hitch head is still tilted down ..., or is the 3P weight distribution jacks keep the head parallel (straight)?
Thank you!

When the jacks are used, they will locate and keep the hitch head at any angle, (within the range of motion of the hitch head).

If you need to use the strap system, you will need to figure out a way to immobilize the hitch head at the required angle for hitching up. I can't see how you could ever hitch up if the head is free to pivot as it hangs from the ball.

good luck.
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

leoshats
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Drew A., for your prompt response. But anyway the hitch head is still tilted down ..., or is the 3P weight distribution jacks keep the head parallel (straight)?
Thank you!

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
It looks to me like your entire problem is caused by the strap system.

On a regular ProPride, the bars that connect the spring ends to the jacks completely fix the hitch head from rotating downward. They hold the hitch head rigidly so when the stinger is backed into position, the head cannot move.

Have you asked Sean how this strap system is supposed to work? It looks like a fail to me.
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

leoshats
Explorer
Explorer

leoshats
Explorer
Explorer