cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV site in Alaska interior

greeholiday
Explorer
Explorer
Finalizing plans for first RV trip to Alaska next month. Have all plans set, but looking for campsite suggestions for Talkeetna area for 1 night and Fairbank area for 2 nights (flying out of Fairbanks). Also welcome suggestions for interesting stops between Denali and Fairbanks.

Thanks all. Very helpful forum.
14 REPLIES 14

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
In most pulloffs unless there is a NO OVERNIGHT PARKING feel free to take a nap. If your there June 21 there is no night. As someone already mentioned there is a pulloff north of cantwell where there were several rvs parked for the three days we were there. One was a 5thwheel unhooked and a couple MHs with toads unattached. There are several SP along the highways with cheap overnight parking. Some like most rv parks in AK are not much more than parking lots with pit toilets. Your not there for the rv park your there for the majestery of the scenery and with luck the wildlife. The fishing is great too.

It would have to be a real slow night for SP to bother you in any pulloff those guys cover a lot of territory sometimes for RVers that figured they could drive another 100 mile beause the sun was up.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Another place to visit is the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center. It's one of the most all inclusive we've seen with regards to the culture of an area.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from Fairbanks and the best RV park in proximity to downtown, the airport, UAF and its wonderful Museum of the North, and, most importantly, Fred Meyer is the Rivers Edge Campground. It is just off the Parks Highway near the east end of the Chena River bridge.

We stayed at the Riverview RV Park on Badger Road. It is also on the Chena River but nowhere near downtown. It is located way east of Fort Wainwright and several miles north of the Alaska/Richardson Highway. If we had been with kids, we would not have stayed that far out of town.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

greeholiday
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good advice. What about in the Fairbanks area? Places to camp...don't miss things to do (kids are 12 and 15)?

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
Fer2005 wrote:
Talkeetna Camper Park CG. About a 1/2 mile from town. Great place for a couple of days.

X2 Stayed there in 2014. Do forget to try Alaskan Brewing Ice Ax Ale.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
In Talkeetna we just parked on the street for the night in front of the Forest Service office... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
At North Pole, there is a park on the river. Can't remember the exact name but something like "On the River" or River View, something like that. It is just outside Fairbanks. And by the way, they just moved Santa Claus last week rom one location to another but on the same "souvenir" property.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
We spent a few days boondocking along the Susitna River, at the bridge on Parks hwy.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Talkeetna in 1977 (to climb Mt. McKinnely) when it was just a bar, the Talkeetna Roadhouse, and the Fairview Inn. It was still pretty much unspoiled when I was there in 1993.

When I returned in 2012, it had really changed. Now the road into town is lined with vendors selling T-shirts and souvenirs of all sorts, and the busloads from Princess and other cruise ships arrive one after the other. I'll skip Talkeetna on the next trip.

Fer2005
Explorer
Explorer
Talkeetna Camper Park CG. About a 1/2 mile from town. Great place for a couple of days.
2009 Winnebago Journey 39Z
2012 Ford Taurus Toad

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
lucy6194 wrote:
There is a campground in Cantwell. However I'd rather go up the Denali hwy about 1 mile and pull in on side of the road. Quiet and if lucky view of "the mountain".

Go up the highway about a mile from where?

At Cantwell is the Denali highway which goes from Cantwell to Paxon.
I would do that also the denali highway is a very scenic drive but is almost all gravel road. So no rental rv's normally.

Another place sort of close to talkeetna is Byers Lake campground which is north about 30 miles.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:

From Cantwell, which is north of Talkeetna, nearer to the part. The Denali Highway, Ak 8, is (or was when I was there) a great road from which to find boondocking spots, and great views of the mountain.
Cal

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
lucy6194 wrote:
There is a campground in Cantwell. However I'd rather go up the Denali hwy about 1 mile and pull in on side of the road. Quiet and if lucky view of "the mountain".

Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer