cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

plastic tank repair

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fresh water tank that is made from the tupper ware type plastic, what repairs it ?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
41 REPLIES 41

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that may work is Bondic. It stays liquid until you put an Ultraviolet light on it. It's not a glue, but rather an easier plastic weld. Interesting stuff.Check it out.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Wellnuts are available in at least a dozen sizes, available in different lengths, as well. A couple of bucks or so each. I'm not sure why this is being treated as rocket science.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
How about washer head screws, that fit the holes, with a rubber sealing washer to prevent continued leaks?

I was thinking of something similar...Sensors for a tank level gauge. Diameter would have to be right, but they're meant to work with a drilled hole and no fastener inside.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Says that it WILL NOT bond to:
Polyethylene
Polypropylene
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Daytonaman wrote:
I used PLASTAID to repair many types of plastic that nothing else will adhere to. Stuff really works, and is known by many.
Google them, they are in Colorado.

Interesting stuff.

Daytonaman
Explorer
Explorer
I used PLASTAID to repair many types of plastic that nothing else will adhere to. Stuff really works, and is known by many.
Google them, they are in Colorado.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have replaced the fresh water tank in my Country Coach bus conversion. I called Country Coach and they knew the manufacturer. I called them, gave them the dimensions and they shipped me a new one. It was NOT cheap as shipping such a large object was quite expensive but then my tank carries 165 gallons. I did have to remove the house batteries and the wall behind to access the tanks but they all came out after disconnecting the sensor wires and a side support. I replaced the floor while they were out as there had been a leak for many years. It was a real PIA but just because it takes time and you don't want to be living there while you have no holding tanks. I think maybe it was all done within 2 days after the new tank arrived.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to be funny. Try Flex Tap. What do you have to loose

MrWizard
i replied to that on the previous page

NO more comments
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
nothing simple about a crack in one of the side walls of a poly tank

it flexes with water level and can flex under stress while in motion

while screws, bolts, well nuts, may stop the crack from enlarging, they don't stop the crack from leaking

its a crack not a pin hole

IT"S NOT A CRACK.. read the whole thread.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
Does it matter who did what? Dougrainer had the fix, if it can just be recognized. I would think that trying to change-out the fresh water tank, would be a major job to tackle unless you are the size of an 8 year old, to be able to get into the basement to disconnect the plumbing, and reconnect it.

My fresh water tank is very easy to get to, and the Spinweld thing is a shop repair, can't be done in the coach..SO.... if I'm going to pull it. why fix it when a new one is less money?

The repair would be, remove the tank, drill the three holes out to 1/2" buy 3, 1/2" pipe threaded fittings, have them spin welded in and place threaded plugs installed.

Problem is, the three holes are too near the corner of the tank bottom.

threaded screws with rubber washers won't work because there isn't a flat surface to seat the rubber washer, the holes are on/in the radius of the bottom to side corner.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Did he? Or did he state:

Klutz, drilled thru the outer bulkhead and drill 3, 1/4" holes near the bottom of the tank.
They now have plugs in them. I want a permanent repair. or it gets a new tank. but the pipe connections are glued in with something. What,,, is the question.

Not sure who did what!
Does it matter who did what? Dougrainer had the fix, if it can just be recognized. I would think that trying to change-out the fresh water tank, would be a major job to tackle unless you are the size of an 8 year old, to be able to get into the basement to disconnect the plumbing, and reconnect it.
Wildmanbaker

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did he? Or did he state:

Klutz, drilled thru the outer bulkhead and drill 3, 1/4" holes near the bottom of the tank.
They now have plugs in them. I want a permanent repair. or it gets a new tank. but the pipe connections are glued in with something. What,,, is the question.

Not sure who did what!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
Curious !

How does a 17 yr old tank
Suddenly get 3 drilled round holes ?

If that is the problem, yes some kind of rubber well nut fix, would seem logical

I thought he was referring to that being the 'mold marking signifying the type of material' looked like drilled holes indentations etc..

The OP stated HE accidently drilled the holes. Doug