cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Fridge not cooling properly on LP mode

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Recently my Dometic fridge model DMR 702 has not been cooling at the same temps as on AC mode. It was manufactured in 2013 for 2014. AC mode the fridge temp is between 36 and 38 degrees. Freezer at 0 degrees. On LP fridge temps are around for 47 with high reading at 53 later in day. Daytime temps have been averaging between 79 to 82 degrees with average humidity here in upstate New York.

Things I did was to check the fridge pilot, burner assembly, and 12 volt fan. All seemed to be working fine.

34 REPLIES 34

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
**Update** Well after awhile My Dometic fridge still has fluctuating temps especially on propane. I purchased a Dometic air flow baffle off of Ebay and installed according to a couple of pics on sellers site. Does anybody ever installed one of these on their RV? Installed in upper vent in slide portion of my RV. Wanted to make sure I installed correctly. It is a truck camper.

Ebay seller pic

My TC.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
****UPDATE*****

Finally figured out the problem with the fridge LP woes. I replaced the regulator and hoses and It is fixed!! Fridge temp is now 30 degrees and freezer below zero. Vast improvement in burner flame height.

Before regulator replacement

I am still going to add fans to upper vent in slide though. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
When we are dealing with very low pressure even the smallest leak can cause problems.
That would be a good size leak!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks sidecar.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I see that. I don't believe it would impact the pressure that much but, the leaking gas is explosive however..... I would take the fitting apart and check the tubing flare and compression ring and fix or replace as necessary. Should be a warranty item, let them repair it...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
I went out this morning before the rain came in and took the TC off truck. Did another leak check on all the LP fittings in tank compartment. No leaks. Then went to other side of TC where slide and Fridge is and the fitting in the rear of TC where this line runs I believe up to fridge in slide has a slide leak. Tried to tighten it but would not budge. Should I back it off and then retighten. Would this slight leak effect the pressure to the fridge?

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'll put my money on a faulty Chinese regulator. 2 stage switch over regs are 34 bucks on e-trailer.
2015 Backpack SS1500

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I am always amazed at how people perceive a problem. The OP states it works on 120 but not on LP. He then states he would like to "BURP" the refer? WHY???????????????????????????? If it works on 120 but not on LP you have a LP caused problem. The refer operates the same on 120 or LP. Doug

I never said I would do the burping...Would never attempt it..Just commenting on how I read about it. My TC is still under complete warranty since it was purchased last October. 2014 model but never sold. If I cant figure it out will call AMLV next week and get authorization for diagnostic.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I am always amazed at how people perceive a problem. The OP states it works on 120 but not on LP. He then states he would like to "BURP" the refer? WHY???????????????????????????? If it works on 120 but not on LP you have a LP caused problem. The refer operates the same on 120 or LP. Doug

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I agree. KISS principle.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'd give the regulator a shot then (before removing the fridge which is a job). Regulators abound on Flea-bay and any Internet Camping site (Camping World included, right here) and for less than 30 bucks or close to it, you get a new one.

Do the easy stuff first, save the hard stuff as a last resort.
2015 Backpack SS1500

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Actually flame was the same as the before picture i post earlier. Spiral Baffle was barely dirty but cleaned it anyway. flume stack had no debris. Read about burping the fridge but probably wont try myself. 4 year old fridge and camper is a 2014 never used or sold till last October.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
A new 2 stage regulator is about 26 bucks online. Worth a shot. Did you observe the flame after you cleaned everything? Was it burning higher and blue?

Curious, was the spiral baffle sooted up?

You cold have a partial blockage of solidified solution in the tubing. Only way to eliminate that, that I know of is replacement of the cooling unit or remove the fridge and invert it a couple times to get the blockage out and the slug back in solution... both tedious if that is what it is.

Good luck
2015 Backpack SS1500

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
****UPDATE****

Well after removing orifice and cleaning with Alcohol, Cleaning Burner assembly with compressed air, removed and cleaned spiral baffle, and cleaned stack with brush Fridge still not cooling properly Temps on LP went from 38 to 53 degrees. Freezer was at 0 degrees though? Works fine on AC still. Thinking of changing out the 2 stage regulator. Any thoughts??