cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 F-150HD or F-250?

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
I tow an Attitude 27CBG toy hauler. GWVR is 9900, tongue @ 15% of max is 1485. Real world is more like 8500 max for me and about 1100 tongue. I'm putting 4500-ish on the rear axle of the current tow rig. I am overloaded by 5%. 🙂

F-150HD RAWR is 4800, payload around 2500 on a 7850 GVWR in the HD Supercrew spec I'd buy. The F-250 6.7l diesel is 6340 RAWR and about the same payload at a 9900 GAWR in the spec I'd buy.

Obvious differences with lots more headroom on the F250, but I'm not getting a bigger trailer. Unless the DW says otherwise. 😉 I don't tow a lot (5-6x a year) and the truck will be a daily driver for me.

So which one? Opinions?

Thanks!

Mike
203 REPLIES 203

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
F250 or F350.
I have used a one ton Ford as an only vehicle for 15 years.

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
was the fan running at 232 water temperature?

chevman

Not sure - it was at the end of a long climb on 101 and I couldn't hear it. The fan seems to run a lot more with the 5 Star tune than it does with the stock tune, so I'm going to bet it was.

Mike

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
was the fan running at 232 water temperature?

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
mhamershock wrote:
Another update due to recent addition of 5 Star's 91 octane Perf/Tow tune. Otherwise truck and trailer the same as before. I'm up to 25k miles on it, and have towed the big hauler some 3500 miles, with another 1500 miles on my little (2000 lb) trailer.

This trip was with the toy hauler loaded to about 8k, 4 people, and 3 dogs in the bed. I'd say 15k lbs total gross.

Did 850 miles round trip Portland, Or to Eureka, CA. Perfect weather both directions - sunny, calm. cool. Truck ran awesome - smooth and powerful as usual. Very low stress towing with this rig. To be honest, I didn't feel that much of a difference with the tune power-wise. These things make so much power stock that another 50 hp and 75 lb (guessing) isn't that noticeable. I will say that their 91 Perf tune is a monster, but not designed for towing heavy. I did notice differences with their trans tune - shifting is better: quicker and firmer. And, they totally lock out 9th and 10th gear - you will not go into them at all while in Tow/Haul mode. Not sure I like this - I can use 9th on occasion.

Some numbers:

7.5 MPG round trip (it's a hilly drive - lots of 6%-7% grades up and down)
19.3 PSI max boost
4650 max RPM (downhill - never got above 3500 uphill)
232 max coolant temp
221 max trans temp

Still very happy with this truck as a tower and DD. No issues at all in 25k miles. So glad I got this and not a 3/4 ton. If you are towing 10K or less this is the truck for you.

Mike

Good report there Mike and I'm not surprised with your satisfaction with your new truck.

I've been seeing a lot of half ton trucks pulling some serious campers lately.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
Another update due to recent addition of 5 Star's 91 octane Perf/Tow tune. Otherwise truck and trailer the same as before. I'm up to 25k miles on it, and have towed the big hauler some 3500 miles, with another 1500 miles on my little (2000 lb) trailer.

This trip was with the toy hauler loaded to about 8k, 4 people, and 3 dogs in the bed. I'd say 15k lbs total gross.

Did 850 miles round trip Portland, Or to Eureka, CA. Perfect weather both directions - sunny, calm. cool. Truck ran awesome - smooth and powerful as usual. Very low stress towing with this rig. To be honest, I didn't feel that much of a difference with the tune power-wise. These things make so much power stock that another 50 hp and 75 lb (guessing) isn't that noticeable. I will say that their 91 Perf tune is a monster, but not designed for towing heavy. I did notice differences with their trans tune - shifting is better: quicker and firmer. And, they totally lock out 9th and 10th gear - you will not go into them at all while in Tow/Haul mode. Not sure I like this - I can use 9th on occasion.

Some numbers:

7.5 MPG round trip (it's a hilly drive - lots of 6%-7% grades up and down)
19.3 PSI max boost
4650 max RPM (downhill - never got above 3500 uphill)
232 max coolant temp
221 max trans temp

Still very happy with this truck as a tower and DD. No issues at all in 25k miles. So glad I got this and not a 3/4 ton. If you are towing 10K or less this is the truck for you.

Mike

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^ There's an arse for every seat my grandpa used to say!

LMAO... No pun intended!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ There's an arse for every seat my grandpa used to say!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Maury82 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
harmanrk wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I'd like to see how the HDPP would stack up against a regular cab 2wd 6.2 or 6.4 250/2500 as far as quickness, towing and fuel efficiency.

The Ecoboost will outperform both 6.2/6.4 plain and simple

Quickness, Towing power, unloaded fuel eff., yes. Towing Fuel eff. would be a toss up.

Payload, is would come up significantly short.

Throw the Diesels for those 250/2500's into the mix (And lets face it, price point that's where the HDPP comes in), and the 150 will come up short in most. Quickness, (60 -80 to pull out an make a pass) I don't think those who praise the Eco, have experienced unleashing 900+ torques. Unloaded fuel eff., is probably pretty close in normal driving, with the periodic regens of the filter pulling the diesels numbers down to give an advantage to the Eco, but loaded, the Eco is not even going to come close. As for payload, the 250 with the diesel, and the 150 HDPP are neck and neck (2300-2400).

One common item I keep seeing brought up is the unloaded ride quality. Yes, its subjective, but two truck with nearly equal payloads, are going to react very similar over bumps in the road.

I think the 250/SRW350 is a lot better value than any 150 these days in terms of what you get for the basically the same money.

You forgot to say, "for me".

I purchased the trailer I wanted without having the slightest clue what truck I needed to tow it.

I initially researched the Silverado, and then the Tundra, then Ford, and after doing the math, I eliminating all three, I was resigned on the 3/4 ton, and after renting the F250, I was a bit saddened that I had to get one.

It towed well, but that thing was not anything I wanted to drive when not towing, and I would have sat that thing in the yard beside the trailer.

I discovered that Ford had a heavy a duty payload package, and after researching, that was the only truck I wouldn't mind having, because it has other attributes I can deal with when not towing, and I might be able to park it in my driveway instead of the backyard when not towing.

After I let out some of the high 48 psi air the dealer had put in the tires, the truck rides pretty nice, along with the quietness, I can tolerate driving it.

It's the quickness that put this thing over the hump for me, but whenever I'm driving it, I always wish I was driving my car...my Accord V6 manual is quicker and much more agile.

A F250/350 dually diesel Limited would be just another one trick pony for me, and the value the HDPP 150 adds to both personal use and towing, a F250/350 (regardless the trim or engine) can't come close...

The value of a vehicle is determined by the individual, so you can only speak for how it applies to you.

"For me" is built into the "I think" that preceded my statement. Of course these determinations are subjective choices made by individuals. That's why some are happy towing with SUVs or midsize trucks, some like half tons, some like SRW HD and some like DRW HD (and up from there). SRW HD is my sweet spot because I feel like the only material compromise I'm making versus a half ton is a bit stiffer ride, and I can live with that just fine on a daily basis. A DRW HD is more than I want to deal with in a daily driver and family vehicle, and I'm happy enough with the more limited load carrying capability of my SRW HD.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
harmanrk wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I'd like to see how the HDPP would stack up against a regular cab 2wd 6.2 or 6.4 250/2500 as far as quickness, towing and fuel efficiency.

Quickness, Towing power, unloaded fuel eff., yes. Towing Fuel eff. would be a toss up.

Throw the Diesels for those 250/2500's into the mix (And lets face it, price point that's where the HDPP comes in), and the 150 will come up short in most. Quickness, (60 -80 to pull out an make a pass) I don't think those who praise the Eco, have experienced unleashing 900+ torques. Unloaded fuel eff., is probably pretty close in normal driving, with the periodic regens of the filter pulling the diesels numbers down to give an advantage to the Eco, but loaded, the Eco is not even going to come close. As for payload, the 250 with the diesel, and the 150 HDPP are neck and neck (2300-2400).

One common item I keep seeing brought up is the unloaded ride quality. Yes, its subjective, but two truck with nearly equal payloads, are going to react very similar over bumps in the road.

I think the 250/SRW350 is a lot better value than any 150 these days in terms of what you get for the basically the same money.

You forgot to say, "for me".

I purchased the trailer I wanted without having the slightest clue what truck I needed to tow it.

I initially researched the Silverado, and then the Tundra, then Ford, and after doing the math, I eliminating all three, I was resigned on the 3/4 ton, and after renting the F250, I was a bit saddened that I had to get one.

It towed well, but that thing was not anything I wanted to drive when not towing, and I would have sat that thing in the yard beside the trailer.

I discovered that Ford had a heavy a duty payload package, and after researching, that was the only truck I wouldn't mind having, because it has other attributes I can deal with when not towing, and I might be able to park it in my driveway instead of the backyard when not towing.

After I let out some of the high 48 psi air the dealer had put in the tires, the truck rides pretty nice, along with the quietness, I can tolerate driving it.

It's the quickness that put this thing over the hump for me, but whenever I'm driving it, I always wish I was driving my car...my Accord V6 manual is quicker and much more agile.

A F250/350 dually diesel Limited would be just another one trick pony for me, and the value the HDPP 150 adds to both personal use and towing, a F250/350 (regardless the trim or engine) can't come close...

The value of a vehicle is determined by the individual, so you can only speak for how it applies to you.

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
...I think the 250/SRW350 is a lot better value than any 150 these days in terms of what you get for the basically the same money.
And I think you're wrong!
I would go for the F150 HDPP any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Now if they put the 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 spd transmission in the F250, I might change my mind. Until then, as a DD and some times Tow Vehicle, the 3.5L Ecoboost & 10 spd trans is a winning combination.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
harmanrk wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

The payload ratings are close on paper but if you look at axle ratings there's a pretty wide gap, and that's a lot more reflective of the diesel 250's actual payload capability. Ride quality will suffer accordingly on the 250 compared to the HDPP 150, but load carrying capability will be a lot better. I think the 250/SRW350 is a lot better value than any 150 these days in terms of what you get for the basically the same money.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:

As for the hitch capability, it was said the HDPP is good for a tongue weight of 1300 (I assume this is its WD rating) the 250 with the heavy tow package is good for 2100 (Both carrying and WD).
2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.