Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2017 F-150HD or F-250?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2017 F-150HD or F-250?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next
silverfz

mass

Full Member

Joined: 10/05/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/10/18 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How did you carry the dogs in the bed ?. I have a 90lb lab but with 2 kids we are struggling for space.

My next will be one of this i just did 700 miles on my tundra crewmax with 145k towing my 7300 lb loaded camper and it runs great. I hate smaller tank but other than that is just pulls. when i hit 200k i will add a F150HD .


2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition


Maury82

Ohio

Full Member

Joined: 07/16/2017

View Profile



Posted: 07/10/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

I would love to see one of the truck sites do a head to head comparison between your truck and a 250.


Same here...an Extreme Ike Gauntlet between a HDPP, Nissan HD, Gas 2500/F250 towing 11,500lbs.

The HDPP will out pull all of them, and will be in the ballpark when it comes to handling the load.

Maury82

Ohio

Full Member

Joined: 07/16/2017

View Profile



Posted: 07/10/18 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

TomG2 wrote:

To the OP: Why not go all the way and get a GM 2500HD? Plenty of capacity combined with great driveability for about the same money. 3,000 pound payload with the gas engine. Designed from the ground up to be a 3/4 ton, not a 1/2 with a few upgrades to raise the ratings.


My take on why some go the F150 HD route over the F250-2500 route is that the F150 HD provides all the payload they need, a better unloaded ride (Subjective) and definitely better DD MPG.
Agree for the same $$$ you can get an equal 250-2500. I've noticed that the F150 base price is creeping closer to the F250. The margin is so narrow that by the time you equip the F150 with the HD option it's neck and neck with the F250.
That means nothing really as it's all in what each owner demands, wants or needs of their truck.


The quickness!!...the 3.5 EB is much quicker than both gas and diesel HD trucks, especially when passing a jerk.

Keep in mind, most drivers go really slow when they think you are stuck behind them, but will accelerate the moment they see you trying to pass...you need quickness.

When they accelerate to keep me from passing, I will sprint in front of them, and go the speed they were going when I was behind them... The EcoBoost difference between me being frustrated and counting to ten, and them frustrated.

You got to have the power out there.

silverfz

mass

Full Member

Joined: 10/05/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/10/18 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a eariler post from some who asked why F250 are under rated by factory. As in my state F350 will be need commercial plates with a registration renewal of 300 and commercial insurance.Both extremely high. the F250 being below 10,000 can be registered as a regular vehicle .

mhamershock

Forest Grove, OR

Full Member

Joined: 12/29/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/10/18 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverfz wrote:

How did you carry the dogs in the bed ?. I have a 90lb lab but with 2 kids we are struggling for space.

My next will be one of this i just did 700 miles on my tundra crewmax with 145k towing my 7300 lb loaded camper and it runs great. I hate smaller tank but other than that is just pulls. when i hit 200k i will add a F150HD .


I have an ARE MX series cap on the back. Lots of room for the dogs back there. I usually don't put anything but them and their beds in the bed.

Mike

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/10/18 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maury82 wrote:

Groover wrote:

I would love to see one of the truck sites do a head to head comparison between your truck and a 250.


Same here...an Extreme Ike Gauntlet between a HDPP, Nissan HD, Gas 2500/F250 towing 11,500lbs.

The HDPP will out pull all of them, and will be in the ballpark when it comes to handling the load.


I know you love your truck and it is a great truck but the Ecoboost it isn't the obvious answer for everybody. For me personally I love driving my 2500 HD Duramax even when there isn't a trailer behind me so the ride is a non issue for me considering the benefits of a HD. My truck has a little under #2500 payload, about the same as a Eco 150 with the HDPP. But my truck WILL out pull and out handle a Eco 150. It weighs I'm guessing #2500 more so it's going to manhandle a trailer better - it just will. I used to have a Gm 6.0 gas and that truly was nails on a chalkboard pulling a trailer, I'm sure the Eco is a big improvement though

Bottom line is a gas 3/4 maybe slower but will have more payload or similar payload with a diesel and have monster towing power and better handling with either gas or diesel 3/4 ton.

Dan


2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

demiles

Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2003

View Profile


Online
Posted: 07/10/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maury82 wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

TomG2 wrote:

To the OP: Why not go all the way and get a GM 2500HD? Plenty of capacity combined with great driveability for about the same money. 3,000 pound payload with the gas engine. Designed from the ground up to be a 3/4 ton, not a 1/2 with a few upgrades to raise the ratings.


My take on why some go the F150 HD route over the F250-2500 route is that the F150 HD provides all the payload they need, a better unloaded ride (Subjective) and definitely better DD MPG.
Agree for the same $$$ you can get an equal 250-2500. I've noticed that the F150 base price is creeping closer to the F250. The margin is so narrow that by the time you equip the F150 with the HD option it's neck and neck with the F250.
That means nothing really as it's all in what each owner demands, wants or needs of their truck.


The quickness!!...the 3.5 EB is much quicker than both gas and diesel HD trucks, especially when passing a jerk.

Keep in mind, most drivers go really slow when they think you are stuck behind them, but will accelerate the moment they see you trying to pass...you need quickness.

When they accelerate to keep me from passing, I will sprint in front of them, and go the speed they were going when I was behind them... The EcoBoost difference between me being frustrated and counting to ten, and them frustrated.

You got to have the power out there.


Ignorance is bliss


2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

bid_time

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 08/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/10/18 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

demiles wrote:

Maury82 wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

TomG2 wrote:

To the OP: Why not go all the way and get a GM 2500HD? Plenty of capacity combined with great driveability for about the same money. 3,000 pound payload with the gas engine. Designed from the ground up to be a 3/4 ton, not a 1/2 with a few upgrades to raise the ratings.


My take on why some go the F150 HD route over the F250-2500 route is that the F150 HD provides all the payload they need, a better unloaded ride (Subjective) and definitely better DD MPG.
Agree for the same $$$ you can get an equal 250-2500. I've noticed that the F150 base price is creeping closer to the F250. The margin is so narrow that by the time you equip the F150 with the HD option it's neck and neck with the F250.
That means nothing really as it's all in what each owner demands, wants or needs of their truck.


The quickness!!...the 3.5 EB is much quicker than both gas and diesel HD trucks, especially when passing a jerk.

Keep in mind, most drivers go really slow when they think you are stuck behind them, but will accelerate the moment they see you trying to pass...you need quickness.

When they accelerate to keep me from passing, I will sprint in front of them, and go the speed they were going when I was behind them... The EcoBoost difference between me being frustrated and counting to ten, and them frustrated.

You got to have the power out there.

Ignorance is bliss
The good news, you're probably still able to learn.





Maury82

Ohio

Full Member

Joined: 07/16/2017

View Profile



Posted: 07/10/18 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

demiles wrote:

Maury82 wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

TomG2 wrote:

To the OP: Why not go all the way and get a GM 2500HD? Plenty of capacity combined with great driveability for about the same money. 3,000 pound payload with the gas engine. Designed from the ground up to be a 3/4 ton, not a 1/2 with a few upgrades to raise the ratings.


My take on why some go the F150 HD route over the F250-2500 route is that the F150 HD provides all the payload they need, a better unloaded ride (Subjective) and definitely better DD MPG.
Agree for the same $$$ you can get an equal 250-2500. I've noticed that the F150 base price is creeping closer to the F250. The margin is so narrow that by the time you equip the F150 with the HD option it's neck and neck with the F250.
That means nothing really as it's all in what each owner demands, wants or needs of their truck.


The quickness!!...the 3.5 EB is much quicker than both gas and diesel HD trucks, especially when passing a jerk.

Keep in mind, most drivers go really slow when they think you are stuck behind them, but will accelerate the moment they see you trying to pass...you need quickness.

When they accelerate to keep me from passing, I will sprint in front of them, and go the speed they were going when I was behind them... The EcoBoost difference between me being frustrated and counting to ten, and them frustrated.

You got to have the power out there.


Ignorance is bliss


It's not their fault they don't know, but sometimes you have to open their eyes to another perspective.

No question is a bad question.

Maury82

Ohio

Full Member

Joined: 07/16/2017

View Profile



Posted: 07/10/18 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

Maury82 wrote:

Groover wrote:

I would love to see one of the truck sites do a head to head comparison between your truck and a 250.


Same here...an Extreme Ike Gauntlet between a HDPP, Nissan HD, Gas 2500/F250 towing 11,500lbs.

The HDPP will out pull all of them, and will be in the ballpark when it comes to handling the load.


I know you love your truck and it is a great truck but the Ecoboost it isn't the obvious answer for everybody. For me personally I love driving my 2500 HD Duramax even when there isn't a trailer behind me so the ride is a non issue for me considering the benefits of a HD. My truck has a little under #2500 payload, about the same as a Eco 150 with the HDPP. But my truck WILL out pull and out handle a Eco 150. It weighs I'm guessing #2500 more so it's going to manhandle a trailer better - it just will. I used to have a Gm 6.0 gas and that truly was nails on a chalkboard pulling a trailer, I'm sure the Eco is a big improvement though

Bottom line is a gas 3/4 maybe slower but will have more payload or similar payload with a diesel and have monster towing power and better handling with either gas or diesel 3/4 ton.

Dan


Dan, I'm not a truck guy, and I don't really care much for trucks...I just needed one.

This truck is a pain in the rump to drive. It's big, long, bulky, gets in the teens MPG in the city, and it is just too cumbersome to me for anything except occasional personal use and towing. I like what it does, and it's the least compromise I can get to tow a heavy trailer.

And those big pig ears for mirrors are a pain when not towing.

It's a nice truck and it does what it is designed to do well, and that is why I like it. If it weren't for this truck, I'd be stuck with having to get a 3/4 ton, which it a much greater compromise than the HDPP.

And you are absolutely correct in that your HD diesel will out handle the HDPP towing a trailer, no doubt about that.

I was more curious about the difference in handling compared to a gass HD more so than the diesel. The HDPP will out pull any current gas HD within its ratings, but how much better will the gasser handle the heavy koad than the HDPP.

There have been questions as to why anyone would get the HDPP over a comparable equipped 3/4 to that has more capable handling.

It's all about what is considered a compromise to a person. That nice HD diesel of yours probably offers little compromise to you as a personal DD or a tow vehicle.

As a DD, the HDPP truck is nice "for a truck" and is very capable for towing within its ratings, but it is still a truck that I can get limited use out of it when not towing, but I wouldn't touch that larger, slower, and much more cumbersome diesel with a stick unless I have a trailer behind it.

* This post was edited 07/10/18 06:18pm by Maury82 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 20  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2017 F-150HD or F-250?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS