cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B.C. declares Province-wide state of emergency - July 7

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
140 new wildfires started on Friday, July 7, burning dozens of buildings and forcing thousands of people from their homes.

Evacuation orders were issued for Ashcroft, Cache Creek, Princeton, 105 Mile House and 108 Mile House, while other communities have been placed under evacuation alert, including 100 Mile House and 150 Mile House.

The DriveBC webpage indicates that Highway 97 is closed near 100 Mile House and Quesnel due to the fires. Highway 97C is also closed due to a fire.

Read this news article to learn more
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!
10 REPLIES 10

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Just missed it. Drove through the area early July crossing at Sumas into Washington July 4. Slowly driving down Oregon coast now on way back to Southern California.
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
July 16 news article
BC Wildfires: Dry Weather Continues To Fuel 'Nasty' Blazes

The fires continue to spread. 160 fires burning now with 37,000 people evacuated from their homes.

Jeez, that is almost as many as the total population of Yukon!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
The National Post newspaper has an article about the fires. A retired firefighter watched his home go up in flames.

http://nationalpost.com/wildfires-raging-in-b-c-interior/

Here's one of the pictures from Cache Creek

That is where I stay on my way up and back when traveling in that area.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts and prayers to everybody who may be affected.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is ugly. The Okanagan is still open for business although there is a smoky haze. However boating is restricted on the larger lakes to high water and debris from the spring melt. The warm weather is not expected to let up anytime soon. On the bright side the cherries are fat, sweet and plentiful.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
The National Post newspaper has an article about the fires. A retired firefighter watched his home go up in flames.

http://nationalpost.com/wildfires-raging-in-b-c-interior/

Here's one of the pictures from Cache Creek
sue t.

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Drove through the Ashcroft to 100 Mile hwy 97 corridor on Thursday and just missed the fires. I am currently just north of Little Fort and there was a very brief lightening storm yesterday that set off a couple of fires there. Yesterday and today there is ash falling and smoke in the air.

I had originally planned on heading back that way today but with all the highway closures, I'll wait it out another day and take the Coquihalla if need be.

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, that was a terrible storm that went over yesterday! Lots of lightning, high winds, dry conditions, high temperatures. Hopefully they can get a handle on it quickly! Thoughts and prayers go out to the firefighters.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the useful links Sue.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Check the BC Wildfire Service map for up-to-date info regarding fire locations.
sue t.