cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying campsites

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
Just started thinking about this lately and wonder about all the pitfalls. I love going to the Smoky Mtns. For about 40 years I've been going at least once a year. I've toyed with the idea of moving there for years, but it never worked out. Now that I'm about to retire I've found at least one campground where individuals own the sites in the campground. Looks nice from pictures yes I've been fooled by that before, but I know this place a little and its that good.

My questions would be:
1) What are the tax problems with owning a campsite.
2) What kind of bills (electric metered) might I get during hot summer and coldest winter?
3) Are there other HOA problems that might come from a campsite besides the usual problems homeowners have?
Glenn in TN
2008 Ford F150 King Ranch
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32
2017 Mini Cooper (future toad)
13 REPLIES 13

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
We do plan to full time. And I've always thought we would keep our house we are in now as a home base. Rent when we are on the road. We have a special setup where that would work. Don't know if I would make a good landlord, especially on the road. Now buying a campsite appears to be appealing. Especially one in our favorite place - the Smokies. I've been asking a lot of questions to the owner/operator of this resort and so far they haven't talked me out of it.
Glenn in TN
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine wanting to travel around the country and also wanting to own a permeant lot or two...doesn't make sense to me, I wouldn't want the headache. If you want to move there and stay in one spot you might as well sell the camper and buy a house then you'll have a place you know you can heat in the winter and cool in the summer.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
A great many full-timers have a "home base" where they own a lot in a campground. Normally it is for the winter, but some do have a summer place.

Visit the likely candidate properties. Don't rely on pictures. Talk to the people who live there. Try to spend at least a week there. If the property ownership/ management company can't answer your questions, it might better to look elsewhere.

If they say you can't camp there before buying, definitely look for another property.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
We took a different approach. We leased our summer spot. No HOA, no tax problems, Seasonal fiber service to site, fixed sales/transfer fee and low annual cost - around $900 last year plus electric. Happy campers.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Frau Blรผcher and I own lots both here in Ontario and in Florida and it works for us perfectly,,, for us. The reasoning behind our decisions were,

-After adding up the cost per year over the fifteen years we would likely be snowbirdin' it makes financial sense to own and in the end sell off our lots and recoup most or all of our costs.

-With owning our lots we know what our annual costs will be and how our resorts are run and not have to be at the mercy of an independently owned RV resort owner's whims that will govern our property or future.

-Every year we know where we are going, where the things we need are, how safe it is.

We have annual costs to both lots like HOA's, property taxes, electric and so on but it still works out cheaper than paying monthly or seasonally and we have complete control over what we do!

Sheryl Crow: "Its not having what you want,Its wanting what you got"
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
Rv campground slum lord? No! I don't know how full timing is going to be for us. Are we going to be gone year round until one of us dies? Maybe 10 years? I don't see myself turning into a snow bird.
Glenn in TN
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
This is a very interesting thread to me. I want to travel around the country when I retire, but with an open mind towards settling down somewhere, if I like it a lot. I could still travel part-time, but enjoy a cheap, simple life away from the rat-race of the big city the rest of the year. What search terms would you use in this website's search feature to find more threads on this subject? I'd like to get an idea of the approximate costs involved, although I realize it will vary a lot from campground to campground and area of the country. The rental idea is very interesting, too. Maybe I can become an RV campground landlord tycoon in my retirement.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that it is a secure feeling going to the same place all the time. My parents had a summer home in Wisconsin and never went anyplace else in 50 years! My wife and I, however, like to move around and see new sights.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
One thing you will never have problems with that kind of campground and HOA rules ... you will always be able to park your camper in your own driveway.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Never owned a lot.
Like to go different places.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
You've got some good advise already. We own two lots in Florida. We stay on one in the winter and rent the other out. The rental does very well and more then pays for itself.

Even though you own a lot, you can still travel and rent it out.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
x-2 what the Captain said, with an addition, go there not just to talk to the operators but to visit with others who are there and have bought sites. Not the ones looking to sell only, also the ones who are satisfied with their purchase and find out why.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just contact the Park owners and ask them your questions. I think you'd get better answers. Every campground has it's own rules & expenses. If this is a deeded lot then yes you'll have taxes & insurance expenses. But if it's membership park you'll have maintenance(water & sewer)fees to pay, or membership fees. And electric of course. My advise is to read over the park rules before signing anything. You'll be surprised what kind of rules that's written in them.