cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BC fires

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Where are the BC Wildfires specifically? Been reading about them down here. Should we avoid traveling into the Okanagan region? Or heading E. of Vancouver?
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!
23 REPLIES 23

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Hey..thanks for the update. Safe travels and be well. Smithers, eh...I know a guy....

Next time you are looking for curb? Give me a shout.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Willow13
Explorer
Explorer
Gary- I sent a response last Thursday โ€“ it appears it didnโ€™t postโ€ฆ? Understand your thoughts about regrets โ€“ yet weโ€™ve been on the road since the middle of May, have some things to attend to at home, and see it as an opportunity to return to your beautiful country! We stopped at Smithers on Thursday and exited through Sumas on Friday โ€“ thank you for the suggestion! And again, thank you for your kindness!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Willow13 wrote:
Thank you to all for sharing your thoughts and advice. I just looked at the closure map. Our original thought was to make a decision when we arrived in Prince George, but it appears a detour is definitively imminent. Gary your offer is so incredibly kind - it brought a smile to my face! Thank you! I think weโ€™ve pretty much decided to hightail it out of this beautiful country and will likely take 5.

Ahh..too bad. You will look back and cuss yourselves for not taking US #20 across to Anacortes. #5 is just...fast. #20, you get Twisp and their great smoked meats and Winthrop..which is quite the place..Western style. Then the drive up into the North Cascades n down the other side. But, you have to have the time to do it, too. It's an all day drive from Twisp to Anacortes and just getting there from Kamloops is another full day if you don't stop here to eat and shower. #5..you'll get from Kamloops to Anacortes in maybe 6 hours, not counting the welcome home at the border. Take the Sumas crossing.

Gary Haupt

Willow13
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all for sharing your thoughts and advice. I just looked at the closure map. Our original thought was to make a decision when we arrived in Prince George, but it appears a detour is definitively imminent. Gary your offer is so incredibly kind - it brought a smile to my face! Thank you! I think weโ€™ve pretty much decided to hightail it out of this beautiful country and will likely take 5.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Seamutt wrote:
The road down through Valemount to Kamloops has been closed on and off because of fires near Clearwater. You will be able to get up to date information once at Prince George or McBride. There is a website called drivebc which will give you information. In Mcbride you could pop into the RCMP office to see if the route to Kamloops is open. If not repeat your Jasper, Banff route.

Naww....the highway is open. That's how the evac'd from Williams Lake are going right this very hour.

Gary Haupt

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
The road down through Valemount to Kamloops has been closed on and off because of fires near Clearwater. You will be able to get up to date information once at Prince George or McBride. There is a website called drivebc which will give you information. In Mcbride you could pop into the RCMP office to see if the route to Kamloops is open. If not repeat your Jasper, Banff route.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I would second Gary's suggestion of coming down 5 to Kamloops, then through the Okanagan, and West on Highway 20 through the Cascades in Washington. That is a beautiful route with lots to see and do.

We also love Anacortes and go there several times per year.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Willow13 wrote:
So... wrapping up our Alaskan adventure. (It was incredible!!!) We came up through Banff and Jasper. In Haines - taking the ferry to Skagway today. We were planning on taking Route 97 going to Anacortes, through WA, OR and CA on our way home - but it seems nature has changed our plans...! Looking at the map we see some options but would love to hear suggestions on a new route from those more with more knowledge - thank you!

You can still accomplish your objective using land routes. Going east at Prince George on #16 to the 16/5 Junction and turning south. Down thru Valemont and to Kamloops. At that point you can take the highspeed Coquihalla #5 to the lower mainland and head onwards to Anacortes, or wander down thru the Okanagan via #97...visit the lakes and vineyards...cross into Washington at Oroville and head west on #20..arguably one of the prettiest drives you will ever see, thru the North Cascades, right into Anacortes.

Tell you what...if you do take the Okanagan scenic route...give me a note and you can fetch up on our curb for a night. Can plug you in and offer a home cooked meal and showers.

Gary Haupt

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Willow13 wrote:
So... wrapping up our Alaskan adventure. (It was incredible!!!) We came up through Banff and Jasper. In Haines - taking the ferry to Skagway today. We were planning on taking Route 97 going to Anacortes, through WA, OR and CA on our way home - but it seems nature has changed our plans...! Looking at the map we see some options but would love to hear suggestions on a new route from those more with more knowledge - thank you!

One way, which may cost a bit, would be to take the ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island. It will take you through some awesome country! It would also keep you away from the Cariboo, where HWY 97 is closed.

Willow13
Explorer
Explorer

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
If you are transiting the Cariboo this weekend, be ever vigilant. The weather people are back with another bleak outlook.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-201783-3-.htm#201783

Gary Haupt

I think the only ones transiting the cariboo are the emergency personell at this time. Hwy 97 is closed at Cache Creek further north, also Hwy 24.
Drive BC

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
If you are transiting the Cariboo this weekend, be ever vigilant. The weather people are back with another bleak outlook.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-201783-3-.htm#201783

Gary Haupt

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Our daughter and her family were camping at Green Lake PP just east of 70 Mile. They bailed out on Saturday. With Hwys 1 and 97 closed the only way out was 24 to Little Fort then 16 and 5 back home. There are fires burning near Little Fort but the 24 is still open. To compound things today, 5 north is closed because of a burning big rig.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Removed post...was time sensitive for Wednesday..and the storms forecasted didn't materialize, so all good there.

Gary Haupt