cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do we need a generator?

Spartan41
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering buying a class c to take a trip out west from Michigan next summer. We are currently looking at one but it doesn't have a generator. Will we regret not having one? We can hook up to electricity when we stop. But I'm not sure if we will have issues during the driving parts of the trip. Thanks
39 REPLIES 39

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bordercollie wrote:
It's nice to start the generator at rest stops, public parks, airshows, sport and hobby venues, theme parks, etc., to run roof AC, brew coffee, nuke food, run air compressor and operate other 110vac items. It's also nice to retire to the RV and start the generator when you experience an earthquake or when there is a power outage. I would not buy any RV without a functioning generator, propane/electric fridge, roof air conditioner, stove/oven, microwave, water heater, shower, toilet and awning. We gave up on "roughing it" 40 years ago.

Nicely stated!

X2 ... and exactly my position too.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
It's nice to start the generator at rest stops, public parks, airshows, sport and hobby venues, theme parks, etc., to run roof AC, brew coffee, nuke food, run air compressor and operate other 110vac items. It's also nice to retire to the RV and start the generator when you experience an earthquake or when there is a power outage. I would not buy any RV without a functioning generator, propane/electric fridge, roof air conditioner, stove/oven, microwave, water heater, shower, toilet and awning. We gave up on "roughing it" 40 years ago.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Spartan,

Let me make some points here that have not been touched.

This is your first RV and your are from Michigan. Michigan is a relatively populated state when compared to some of those west of us.

You don't say where you are going and what you plan to do. That may be because you don't even know yet. (That is good.)

That all be the case, a generator, be it onboard (ours is) or a carry out, will add a measure of flexibility to your travel when the carefully laid plans fall apart (that is usually the third day).

When you look at your incremental cost, it is (IMHO) a nolo contendre. If the coach has a microwave, it takes a lot of battery to run those. A/C is impossible.

So, unless you are going to map your travel in 200 mile days from FHU to FHU, I would advise getting a generator.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We abuse our generator. We have it on along with the air conditioner especially when traveling, it beats the dash air. I think you would be very sorry if you didn't have a generator.
When we travel with my sister and her husband, plus their 5th wheel and want to stop somewhere for dinner or shopping her two dogs go in our motorhome with the air on. They don't have a generator in their 5th wheel and it gets very hot in there. When they travel by themselves they always eat at a fast food restaurant because of the dogs.
Another thing if you have a power outage at an RV Park you always have your generator as a backup.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

bobm253
Explorer
Explorer
Have owned class c's for over 40 years, always had a generator and never actually used them. The only time I start it up is to exercise it. We normally stay at campgrounds with electric and for those odd times we stay in rest areas we had plenty of battery power to last us a night or two.

Oh wait we do use it when traveling when we stop to eat, we'll use the generator to power the microwave. So, I guess its good to have. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have a built in generator and I camp year round. Chances are in the real cold a generator will have problems starting so I would not rely on it as a back up unit. Starting batteries can be low or if it is run off propane and you have propane issues, or if it is run on gas and you run out of gas you are still stuck.

I use the on board propane heat, backed up by a catalytic heater with independent propane cylinders and as well as 110V electric heat to plug in if I should have power or if I am carrying the portable generator (benefit of the portable is that you can bring it inside to warm it up a little).

Are generators good for some things? Yes. Are they needed? No.

It really depends on what you are doing.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Daveevans wrote:
It also offers piece of mind by knowing you have an emergency backup source of power.

Right on with this!

One aspect of generators not often talked about is drycamping in cold weather.

An RV can get real cold real fast with no heat in cold outside temperatures. What if one's propane should unexpectedly run out in a cold snap, or more likely, what if the propane system should experience some kind of failure in cold weather? If you have a generator along, just fire it up and run an electric heater as a substitute for the missing propane furnace.

I don't see how one can have a "real" self-contained RV without generator capability being available. But probaly some don't give much weight to true self-containment. :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Daveevans
Explorer
Explorer
A generator is one of those accessories that once purchased you will wonder how you ever lived without it. As stated by some others it allows for complete freedom from designated RV parks and enables you to get lost in nature without having to sacrifice luxuries such as fresh brewed coffee and AC on a hot night. It also offers piece of mind by knowing you have an emergency backup source of power.

That said;

Generators are not for everyone and if your camping style is a little more rough and ready you can definitely get away with omitting the generator.

If you do decide that a generator is a purchase you would like to invest in I would highly recommend checking out http://www.quietpowergenerators.com/ to find the right generator for your specific needs. They have a usages chart page that allows you to calculate what size generator would best suit your needs. It also has a bunch of helpful general info as well as some very detailed reviews.
Hope this helps in deciding if a generator is right for you! All the best,
Dave

campingliz
Explorer
Explorer
We used to own a small TT that had no air, microwave or television. Never missed any of them.

The class C has a generator, a/c and a microwave. Still no television. We generally camp in State and National parks where generator use is quite limited. The a/c is used when we are in a private campground with hooks ups. The microwave serves as another cabinet. The generator gets run once a month to keep it happy.

That said, living in earthquake country, we are happy to have the generator as a part of our "emergency kit."

Happy Camping!

kginder
Explorer
Explorer
Since a Jersey guy chimed in I have to. Don't buy a Class C (or ANY RV) without a generator. We use ours (generator) all year long. JMHO of course...

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
No way would I purchase Class C with no generator. Would have regrets. Use generator often at beach/parking lots, off highway, around towns, etc.. Then again, that is my opinion only.

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
We pop-up tent camped for >30 years.
Always dry camped and never needed a generator.
We almost always camp in the fall.

Bought a class C and went on a four week trip.
Used generator twice. Once so current wife could blow dry hair.
The second time to use the microwave.
Class C has solar and we drove a lot so that kept battery charged.
total hours on generator = 0.5 hours.

Now come winter the power went out for three days.
Ran what needed to be run in the house from the RV generator.
Glad to have it!

Next four week vacation will be less driving per day so battery will not get the charge it will need so I'm sure the generator will get some run time.
Still like to dry camp.

Agree with everyone else, would not buy a RV with out a generator.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO A/C is the only reason to have the built in generator.

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
Just took a 2 week trip with my family. We used the generator mostly for the House A/C and the TV while driving. You'll be thankful you have it.