cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV on the road.

Rob30044
Explorer
Explorer
For the past several years I have been using the old round dish and old receiver. The receiver just went out. I was wondering what my options are now as far as dish and receiver. Thank you.
2001 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 8.1L
1989 Airstream TT 32' Excella 1000
Hensley hitch
24 REPLIES 24

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You might find the tripods with individually adjustable legs much easier to use.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I also carry some little 2"x 2" blocks in 1/4" in case the ground is really un-level. Unlike Bill, I have found that it is pretty important to get the mast as vertical as possible.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

calabria1922
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Bigbird65 wrote:
I bought these adjustable feet at a hardware store..........
Yes, that would be necessary. I've found the elevation of the Slimline dish to be critical, and since that tripod's legs are not individually adjustable, those feet should work.

Great idea!!!
2012 Arctic Fox 27-5L, 450W solar, 2300W Inverter, (2) 6V Titans
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD/Duramax, CC, SB, 2WD, FASS, Amsoil Dual By-Pass, S&B, MBRP DPF Back, EFI-Live (for Turbo Brake), B&W Patriot

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
Yes, that would be necessary. I've found the elevation of the Slimline dish to be critical, and since that tripod's legs are not individually adjustable, those feet should work.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
voyaginator wrote:
How do you get the mast plumb?

........and use these furniture glides.........

........and use this type of magnetic level on the mast.

The little level that fits inside the 2" mast is not very good.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
voyaginator wrote:
To be not as technical, just wanted to comment on the dish tripod https://goo.gl/zYgsju got one recently ..

By using a level. It's really not that critical so close will do just fine.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
voyaginator wrote:
To be not as technical, just wanted to comment on the dish tripod https://goo.gl/zYgsju got one recently ..

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Remember dishpointer is free via the web (www.dishpointer.com). I use it in my browser as part of my pre-trip planning. I get the correct values for each stop in advance and have them in hand when we get there. That makes setup even quicker.

I do use the dish pointer pro app ($20) on my phone if there is any doubt about something blocking the view of a satellite.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

calabria1922
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I am still a big fan of Dish Pointer (pro$$) but with or without that app there are a number of options that will give you the right skew (offset) and the compass heading and elevation. You might think you are a complete idiot when you can't get it done right the 1st time but by the 5th time you will be done in under 15 minutes and telling your DW how amazing you are!

Too late for that! She has already seen me struggle with Dish Network one so any improvement with DirecTV will be attributed to DirecTV!!! ??
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD/Duramax, CC, SB, 2WD, FASS, Amsoil Dual By-Pass, S&B, MBRP DPF Back, EFI-Live (for Turbo Brake), B&W Patriot

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am still a big fan of Dish Pointer (pro$$) but with or without that app there are a number of options that will give you the right skew (offset) and the compass heading and elevation. You might think you are a complete idiot when you can't get it done right the 1st time but by the 5th time you will be done in under 15 minutes and telling your DW how amazing you are!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

calabria1922
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
calabria1922 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
It's easier to point a DirecTV antenna than a Dish antenna. All 3 DirecTV satellites are located right in the center of the US and they are only spread across 4 degrees of the sky (99, 101, 103) instead of 20 degrees for Dish.
If you can point a Dish antenna you will be thrilled at how easy it is to setup a DirecTV dish. No call to any installer is necessary.

Well that is very encouraging to hear!!! I am assuming you have the latest dish they currently installing and those three satellites are still the same ones as they are using with their new dishes.

What about your local channels? We usually stay in one spot for a month or more but there are times where we may only stay a week or a few days. Do you have to call in to DirecTV to get the locals changed to your current location like I do for Dish?

Any complaints on the DirecTV receivers or remotes that would persuade me to stay with Dish?

My goal in switching is mainly to save money. There is currently a $300 Costco cash card, locked in rate of $55 if I bundle with my AT&T service, a $25 monthly discount if I go with AT&T Unlimited Plus, and free HBO for as long as I bundle with the Unlimited Plus plan.

Those 3 satellites have been in place for many years and they have not changed. Locals? You can call (internet chat is much, much better) and have them change your service address only (not the billing address) and you will get the locals. I have a billing address in TX but I am currently in Orlando, FL watching WESH via satellites (except when it rains and then I use OTA).
I have been a DTV customer since 2000 so I have no complaints other than satellite TV is getting too expensive! I have to look into something like you would be getting to dramatically reduce my monthly bill. I pay about $145/month for Genie, 2nd receiver, DVR service, whole house service and DNS. I am going to move from Verizon to AT&T when my current contract is up and that will save me $25/month on DTV plus new phones 2 for 1 so another $750 in savings.

Thanks for all your help and taking your time. I put in the order today for the DirecTV. Looking forward to easier job of aligning the dish...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not easier than an automatic antenna mounted on the RV roof!

voyaginator
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting discussion :h To be not as technical, just wanted to comment on the dish tripod https://goo.gl/zYgsju got one recently and much easier to get the right orientation than a dish mounted on the RV roof :S

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
calabria1922 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
It's easier to point a DirecTV antenna than a Dish antenna. All 3 DirecTV satellites are located right in the center of the US and they are only spread across 4 degrees of the sky (99, 101, 103) instead of 20 degrees for Dish.
If you can point a Dish antenna you will be thrilled at how easy it is to setup a DirecTV dish. No call to any installer is necessary.

Well that is very encouraging to hear!!! I am assuming you have the latest dish they currently installing and those three satellites are still the same ones as they are using with their new dishes.

What about your local channels? We usually stay in one spot for a month or more but there are times where we may only stay a week or a few days. Do you have to call in to DirecTV to get the locals changed to your current location like I do for Dish?

Any complaints on the DirecTV receivers or remotes that would persuade me to stay with Dish?

My goal in switching is mainly to save money. There is currently a $300 Costco cash card, locked in rate of $55 if I bundle with my AT&T service, a $25 monthly discount if I go with AT&T Unlimited Plus, and free HBO for as long as I bundle with the Unlimited Plus plan.

Those 3 satellites have been in place for many years and they have not changed. Locals? You can call (internet chat is much, much better) and have them change your service address only (not the billing address) and you will get the locals. I have a billing address in TX but I am currently in Orlando, FL watching WESH via satellites (except when it rains and then I use OTA).
I have been a DTV customer since 2000 so I have no complaints other than satellite TV is getting too expensive! I have to look into something like you would be getting to dramatically reduce my monthly bill. I pay about $145/month for Genie, 2nd receiver, DVR service, whole house service and DNS. I am going to move from Verizon to AT&T when my current contract is up and that will save me $25/month on DTV plus new phones 2 for 1 so another $750 in savings.