cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater....leave on or as needed?

blackcows
Explorer
Explorer
Do you leave your hot water heater on when camping or on and off as needed?
34 REPLIES 34

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer
My 6 gallon Atwood water heater is very well insulated. If I turn it on in the morning by noon it will still be warm.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I always turn it off when not needed. As a matter of habit, when leaving the coach for sight seeing, etc, if plugged in, I will shut off the water, and the propane. Only thing I leave on is the electricity for the fridge.
Proud father of a US Marine

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
CharlesinGA wrote:
RV water heaters have a fixed (generally) thermostat setting that is around 130ยฐF which is dangerously hot. This is a closed system and heating water in a closed system builds pressure. In an RV it is relieved either by the pressure relief or to some extent by expansion of the the plastic/pex tubing used in the construction of the rig (similar to the way a garden hose holds pressure, and when you open the nozzle the hose actually shrinks in diameter somewhat)

My 6 gal heater heats water very quickly when I turn the 120V on, or same with propane, or super fast with both. I can heat the water and take a shower and turn it all off, and the next morning have all the hot water I need for a "wake up" shower or dishes or whatever.

This is all totally different than a house, where you have (typically) a 40 or 50 gallon tank heater and a 3850 or 4200 watt heating element, which gives you typically, 80 to 100 watts per gallon of heating capacity, vs the 6 gal/1500 watt RV heater which gives you 250 watts of heating capacity per gallon.

There is no good reason to leave the water heater on all day if you are out and about and not using it, but several safety reasons for turning it off (think runaway thermostats, fire, instant scalding water the moment you open the faucet, etc)

Charles

I see no difference. They both have thermostats that allow water to heat to set temperature. RV water is hotter to allow it to last longer a recover quicker. I leave them both on and allow the thermostats to control the temperature.
If I thought my water heater were a fire hazard I'd get rid of it, not just turn it off.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
RV water heaters have a fixed (generally) thermostat setting that is around 130ยฐF which is dangerously hot. This is a closed system and heating water in a closed system builds pressure. In an RV it is relieved either by the pressure relief or to some extent by expansion of the the plastic/pex tubing used in the construction of the rig (similar to the way a garden hose holds pressure, and when you open the nozzle the hose actually shrinks in diameter somewhat)

My 6 gal heater heats water very quickly when I turn the 120V on, or same with propane, or super fast with both. I can heat the water and take a shower and turn it all off, and the next morning have all the hot water I need for a "wake up" shower or dishes or whatever.

This is all totally different than a house, where you have (typically) a 40 or 50 gallon tank heater and a 3850 or 4200 watt heating element, which gives you typically, 80 to 100 watts per gallon of heating capacity, vs the 6 gal/1500 watt RV heater which gives you 250 watts of heating capacity per gallon.

There is no good reason to leave the water heater on all day if you are out and about and not using it, but several safety reasons for turning it off (think runaway thermostats, fire, instant scalding water the moment you open the faucet, etc)

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never mind... too harsh and decided to not say anything... ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
Depends.
Four weeks in a pop-up with a 20 pound tank, I turned off when I knew I was not going to need it for awhile.
Weekend, leave it on.

Now have a class C with a large tank so would leave on.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
blackcows wrote:
Maybe to clarify a bit more our "RV" is a horse trailer so the places we stay people have horses tied to the trailer so lots of horses pooping and peeing in the area that's why I figured maybe ok just to dump grey where we sit.

1 stink is bad but 2 stinks are better:):):) RVing with horses is real different than the kind of RVing most RVers do and thats why you getting so many "NO" responses. Now that you have given more information, I understand why you asked the question.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
1 gallon of propane has 91,600 btus

Atwood water heater
6 gal uses a 8800 btu/hr burner--------10.4 TOTAL hrs burn time
10 gal uses a 10,000 btu/hr burner----- 9.1 TOTAL hrs burn time

Suburban water heater
6,10,12 gal...all use 12,000 btu/hr burner-----7.6 TOTAL hrs burn time

Propane fries up when temp drops to 110*F (Atwood) 100*F (Suburban)
Shuts down when temp reaches 140*F (Atwood) 130*F (Suburban)

Roughly 20 mins of burn time.

So propane usage is MINIMAL
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Park gives me electricity as part of the rent.> ON ELECTRIC
I pay for electricity (Generator or metered site) OFF less needed

No electricity (Propane mode) OFF less needed.

Since I can go 2 or 3 days without needing hot water save for small amounts, easier to use a "hot pot" than the water heater less I am taking an on-board shower or doing dishes
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
blackcows wrote:

How does everyone feel about dumping grey water on the ground? ......

Grey water can really stink, not so much from showers but from dishwashing. I have a fine mess screen on each of my drains to keep the grey water as clean as possible. I also frequently add bleach and periodically use a heavy bleach treatment to clean the tank. Even so the grey water can stink. I don't dump it on the ground anywhere near a campground or other people. There are often regulations that prohibit dumping grey water on the ground. In addition, a casual observer does not know what you are doing and may think you are dumping black water.

I have a 5 gallon bucket with a handle that serves as my trash can. When needed, I will fill the bucket with grey water and dump it in a designated area. Sometimes I needed to make 2-3 trips. It is a nuisance but helps keep the campground area clean.

blackcows
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe to clarify a bit more our "RV" is a horse trailer so the places we stay people have horses tied to the trailer so lots of horses pooping and peeing in the area that's why I figured maybe ok just to dump grey where we sit.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Dumping gray water is not permitted in any organized camping area I've ever seen. What you need is one of these:

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No on dumping gray water, but h*ll NO!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"How does everyone feel about dumping grey water on the ground?"

No, no, no. Take pictures, leave footprints...and nothing else.

On my RV the sink water goes to the gray tank. The sink water has food particles from washing your dishes. So you are dumping your garbage as well as water if you dump on the ground. Gray water/food particles have a real strong stinky odor!!!!