cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to find your way back to your campsite?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Myre-Big State Park (Minnessota) near Alberta Lee, about 2 weeks ago for an over-night on our way to South Dakota.

We arrived early enough in the day we were able to set up OK, unhitch, and even go for a drive and explore the area a little.

Toward late evening, I got really restless. The wife was tired and was vegetating with the television. I decided to take the dog for a walk.

We've never been to this park before, so everything was new. Thick trees and underbrush, nice trails, and campsite loops that look ok from a map, but don't make any sense on the ground.

So, doggie and I ended up on a trail, and then worked our way back to the campground. The only problem was, I had no idea where the camper was! OK, call it, "lost?"

Well, my bad knee was beginning to really hurt by now, and walking around row after row of circular roads was not in my best interest. Then an idea hit me! I had my Smart Phone with me.

I brought up my Onstar app, punched the button for my current location, then punched the button to locate the truck! Presto, both were on the map. I zoomed it real big and started walking. It only took a few feet to know which direction I was heading, made an adjustment, and walked straight to the camper, talking to some folks as I passed through their campsite and between tree lines! It worked!

So, if you have OnStar in your vehicle, the next time you end up on a situation and you're out hiking and get completely whollopped with one of those moments where you REALLY have no clue where your at... well ... keep OnStar in mind! It does work!
13 REPLIES 13

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
gbopp wrote:
How about a big ball of string? ๐Ÿ™‚

Good thing he wasn't walking a cat.....

Funny you mention that. Actually, we do have a cat and he travels with us all the time. I've tried to walk him, several times. Every time, he just plops down on his side and lays there. If I want him to move, I either drag him with the leash or have to just pick him up. He definitely is out of his element when we are camping and he's not at home! He doesn't even think about getting out of the camper when we are not home.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

Good thing he wasn't walking a cat.....

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
...as I passed through their campsite ...

Hmmmm

Yes, I crossed through a couple campsites in order to keep walking in a straight line. Folks were right there, they had dogs too. We struck up a conversation about the dogs (actually I did), and also asked if they didn't mind if I passed through. They were exceptionally friendly, talkative, and we shared all kinds of stories. Nice visiting with folks that way too.

I've always heard it said that folks are friendlier West of the Mississippi River than East of the river. I found this to be true on our trip. Folks East of the Mississippi seem to be so up-tight and territorial. I found on this trip, folks were extremely laid back! (Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa). Once we crossed over back to Illinois, even traveling on the road, folks got aggressive and mean spirited again! (go figure... it's just an observation).

I wondered if you asked. Since you did I withdraw my Hmmmm
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
The Brady Bunch Hawaii episodes come to mind
I love me some land yachting

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
....... Once we crossed over back to Illinois, even traveling on the road, folks got aggressive and mean spirited again! (go figure... it's just an observation).

If you lived in Illinois, you'd be cranky too!!!

But I do agree with your observation.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
One of your first trips, back before maps and such on the telephones, we got lost and could not find the campground where we left the Motorhome. After dark, strange territory, wierd roads that the name changes every other mile, no signs or markers of any kind. Finally we came upon a local policeman, he had to get out maps, but we made it back. Next day, we got a GPS, not for the Motorhome, but for the toad so we could find the Motorhome.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
When you have electronics, bread crumbs are for the birds. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
When you have electronics, bread crumbs are for the birds. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
...as I passed through their campsite ...

Hmmmm

Yes, I crossed through a couple campsites in order to keep walking in a straight line. Folks were right there, they had dogs too. We struck up a conversation about the dogs (actually I did), and also asked if they didn't mind if I passed through. They were exceptionally friendly, talkative, and we shared all kinds of stories. Nice visiting with folks that way too.

I've always heard it said that folks are friendlier West of the Mississippi River than East of the river. I found this to be true on our trip. Folks East of the Mississippi seem to be so up-tight and territorial. I found on this trip, folks were extremely laid back! (Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa). Once we crossed over back to Illinois, even traveling on the road, folks got aggressive and mean spirited again! (go figure... it's just an observation).

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I brought up my Onstar app, punched the button for my current location, then punched the button to locate the truck! Presto, both were on the map. I zoomed it real big and started walking. It only took a few feet to know which direction I was heading, made an adjustment, and walked straight to the camper, talking to some folks as I passed through their campsite and between tree lines! It worked!

Hmmmm
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have this...free app.
Used it to find our car in a huge lot after a Nascar race. Works great.
Lots of different screens to hone in on you car (campsite, whatever)

Find My Car App.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Google's "remember where I parked" feature to mark my campsite at new campgrounds, and also where a subway station was when I visited Washington DC.

"Ok Google, remember where I parked" should work on most any modern Android phone.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed