cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips for first time long haul road trip.

Hobbes525
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow RV'ers. Mi wife and I are going to be embarking on our first long haul road trip with our two sons. (13 and 8). I hope this is the first in a long line of annual family vacations. ๐Ÿ™‚

We live approx 20 min west of Milwaukee, WI and will be heading down to Orlando, FL.

We are planning two days for travel. I plan to leave between 4 and 5 am the first day and drive Nashville area. We have made reservations at a camp ground there. I hope we can make it there around dinner time to give us time to relax and rest up for day two.

I was planning to go through Rockford Ill on 39 to champaign and then taking 57 south and picking up 24 into Nashville. This gets me around chicago and avoids the dreadful drive on 65 to Indianapolis which I made more times then one person should ever have to in their lifetime. ๐Ÿ™‚

For day two it looks like 24 to Chattanooga and then 75 all the way. Tried to find some ways around atlanta but doesnt look like there are many options.

We will do the same thing on the return trip.

We're pulling a 30' TT so we plan on taking it nice a slow. we will be in Florida for a solid 11 days with some off days planned between all of the touristy stuff. Really looking forward to it.

We have done some smaller, two our drive, trips with the camper so I've gotten a good feel for how the trucks pulls with it. Be a long trip I could use some tips and or advice any seasoned RV'ers would have.
22 REPLIES 22

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with others about that amount of miles per day being a lot... but... in my experience, the way there will not be that bad with all those miles. New experience, looking forward to the destination, etc. Pushing that hard on the driving there can be done.

The trip BACK is the tough one. Everyone is tired and just wants to get home. It may seem odd, but this is when you want to drive less per day. Think about an extra day for the trip back, and staying at campground somewhere to relax and let the kids burn off energy.

Also, Disney World by itself has an incredible amount of stuff to see and do. Fort Wilderness Campground in Disney World is ranked as one of the best campgrounds in the USA for good reasons. We've been to Disney World twice, and a week is enough time to get a taste of a lot of it but not enough time to see everything.

Have fun! Bring stuff for the kids to do during the drive. We used to use portable DVD players, and bought new movies for them to watch. Check your smart phones, see about using them for movies and games - may want to up your "data" plan depending on what you have, at least temporarily for the trip. This may be a good time to surprise one or both kids with a new smart phone if they don't have one. And don't forget the old standby -- books! And magazines.

I am not fan of electronics while we are camping, but for long drives they are life savers.

babynursedawn
Explorer
Explorer
Parrothead Mike wrote:
We live in SW Michigan and our winter trips to Florida (Crystal River - SW of Ocala along the Gulf Coast) are 1,200 miles one way. We spend 2 nights on the road and arrive at our campground 3-4 p.m. on the third day. This means I hit it hard the first day at about 550 miles, about 300 the second, and 350 the third. I've been known to do 700 a day, but honestly, that's too much.

I figure we average about 55 mph with fuel, food, and potty stops (try to combine those when possible). I'm a little heavy on the pedal, often 70 mph or better at times. You shouldn't expect to average any better than 55 mph. Kids will also add to the stopping.

You may have something against I-65 to Indy, but you can avoid Atlanta by getting to Indy on 65 then staying on I-65 down to Montgomery, AL. From there take US131 southeasterly through Dothan, AL to I-10. We take I-10 east to exit 225 and take US27/US19 south. US19 is a 4-lane that has very little traffic. There are a few small towns but you can move along well.

Just south of Homosassa Springs take US98 over to I-75 and not far north of Tampa. This route will keep you out of Atlanta and off the I-75 race track, which in my mind isn't fun to drive with all those trucks and 80+ speedsters. Also, safer traveling in my opinion.

There's a nice campground south of Montgomery, AL right along US131 and just north of Troy, AL called Deer Run. FHUs too. You'd still have about 450ish miles to Orlando from there.

Glad to see this response. Planning this route in September, also from SW Mi. Looking to stop Elizabethtown KY, then south Montgomery AL, and a night in Ocala before getting down to Disney. Have done the 75 route too many times in a car and dislike it greatly. Couldnt even imagine towing through Atlanta.

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the others that 5-600 miles/day waaay too much. 350 is my max now, 300 is better. It's a vacation not a quest.

Also STRONGLY urge you to find a way around Chattanooga. We live in North Alabama and Chattanooga is the obvious path to the Smokeys, but last 5 times we have made that trip the interstate has been at a standstill from South Pittsburg all the way to Moccasin Bend. We now go north to Dunlap, TN, and around to Cleveland, TN - 40 miles and 50 minutes out of the way but WELL WORTH IT.

Atlanta interstates are crowded at 2 in the morning for goodness sakes. I would never pull a trailer thru there (but to each his own).

You might consider getting on I-65 at Nashville and taking it all the way south to Montgomery and then a little bit of non-interstate east over to I-75. I don't think this would be much longer, but you avoid two terrible interstate systems, and you avoid most of the hills.

For what it's worth.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We live in SW Michigan and our winter trips to Florida (Crystal River - SW of Ocala along the Gulf Coast) are 1,200 miles one way. We spend 2 nights on the road and arrive at our campground 3-4 p.m. on the third day. This means I hit it hard the first day at about 550 miles, about 300 the second, and 350 the third. I've been known to do 700 a day, but honestly, that's too much.

I figure we average about 55 mph with fuel, food, and potty stops (try to combine those when possible). I'm a little heavy on the pedal, often 70 mph or better at times. You shouldn't expect to average any better than 55 mph. Kids will also add to the stopping.

You may have something against I-65 to Indy, but you can avoid Atlanta by getting to Indy on 65 then staying on I-65 down to Montgomery, AL. From there take US131 southeasterly through Dothan, AL to I-10. We take I-10 east to exit 225 and take US27/US19 south. US19 is a 4-lane that has very little traffic. There are a few small towns but you can move along well.

Just south of Homosassa Springs take US98 over to I-75 and not far north of Tampa. This route will keep you out of Atlanta and off the I-75 race track, which in my mind isn't fun to drive with all those trucks and 80+ speedsters. Also, safer traveling in my opinion.

There's a nice campground south of Montgomery, AL right along US131 and just north of Troy, AL called Deer Run. FHUs too. You'd still have about 450ish miles to Orlando from there.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
That 230pm/230 miles is what we go by except in our case we try to stay off the intestate highways as much as possible. I try to find a campground that has a swimming pool too. It's so nice to take a quick dunk then start dinner. My wife and I have commented more that once about an RV arriving and seeing the kids been line it to the pool after they parked. It's just a thought but as others have said making the drive into a vacation is cool too.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Hobbes,

From Delafield to Disney World is near 1300 miles. With a passcar, that is 22+ road hours. With your rig, it will be at least 26 road hours. Remember, there will be lots of food, fuel and nature stops. that time is not included in road hours.

I think you had better work on your plan a little better. It would be better if you planned a stop at an attraction each day. Yes, this will make the drive longer, but if you don't run the kids every day, this will be an excursion that will not be remembered fondly.

Matt - now doing this with grands in an MH.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
In a car where you can drive 70+ MPH, that is a 19 hour drive. In a RV, it is more like a 24 hour drive. That trip should take 3 days. Unless you allow more time to reach your destination, you will find your trip to be miserable.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coming through Atlanta can be hell. Use Waze for suggestions on how to get through ATL. Some times it will take you some crazy back roads, but it can be good to help you select straight thrown on 75, or to take 285.

Like mentioned if you can hit it between 10-4, that is best. But if now, just pick a middle lane, and be patient, traffic is what it is. Lives outhouse of town, and often have to pull the camper through town on Friday afternoon. Just realize that going through Atl on the interstate, you will probably come to a complete stop atleast once.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
When I do a real long day, the last thing I want to do is set up camp in a campground. Till you do all those chores, it is bedtime. I simply pull into a Walmart, put it in park and call it a day.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
That might be a bit much with a couple of kids for sure.
You likely will have traffic issues in Nashville and again in Chattanooga coming down Monteagel mountain and thru town to I-75. Traffic will run pretty goo until you reach the Atlanta suburbs. Aoubt ten miles out from I-285 it begins to pickup voulume. MY advice is to stay on I-75 and leave the loop alone. You will also leave the trucks on the loop. Stay away from the left and right lanes - try to maintain center. Watch ahead because we have some exits on that section *I-285 to Downtown Connector* that exit on the left and then you are forced to turn left or right at the top on a bridge. TERRIBLE engineeering move there.
Maintain lanes away from the right and run with the traffic. Despite what you may read, Atlanta drivers will help you change lanes but you must signal with plenty of warning.
TRy to come thru after 10 AM and before 4PM, or after 7-8 PM. Pay attention and you will have a safe passage.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
A good place for a pitstop/picinic in Atlanta I-75 mm 198 is High Falls State Park. We overnighted there on our last trip to FL. Another time just ate lunch.

Make sure your brakes are in good shape for going through Chattanooga. Long grade through mountain. Beautiful area.

Have a great time making memories and a safe trip!
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Your going to have some cranky kids at 600 miles per day. Split it into at least a 3 day trip. Make it a vacation instead of a marathon.

I agree 600/day is too much especially with kids. Most of our Road Trips are at least 1,000 miles or more and shoot to avg 250mi per day on average with no more than 4 days traveling before taking a day off.

Newbies just don't realize how much different it is towing these behemoths over driving just a passenger vehicle by it's self. One needs to be "extra alert" when towing and there is a mental strain associated with that. If one's rig is even slightly marginal that just multiples the strain factor and will beat up even the best of the drivers.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
And remember after 11 days of fun and siteseeing, the adrenaline is gone. You'll still face the same corn fields driving back...much harder.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We just did our first long range trip and even though we do NOT have kids I was worn out after 500-550 miles each day.

It isnt the traffic, it isnt because your towing, its just a long long day.

Our next long range trip will be no more than 500 miles per day.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler