Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxiliary Fuel Tank install

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Are there any places that one can think of to help engineer and install a second fuel tank under a class C motorhome? Mainly the holding of the tank and the fuel filler install is my concern.

Mine ia a 1990 Chinook.
8 REPLIES 8

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 2 rv's with aux tanks. both class C . One was similar shape to the stock tank, behind it. (MB300 dodge, chassis, both of them) The other was a thick gauge rectangular outside the frame with the fill made of galvi. pipe at the camper wall surface immediately behind the cab. I removed that one because it was outside the frame and we were concerned about safety. At one point JC whitney offered aux tanks for vans and that might be a place to get one. There are custom steel tanks that can be made up. The fill is tricky and the venting is also but it can be done nicely

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, we once owned a Dodge B250 van that we converted into a camper van and I wanted long range fuel capacity in it. (I hate stopping to fuel up. Stopping to eat ... that's a whole different matter!)

I found and installed a new after-market 40 gallon heavy gauge steel auxiliary gas tank in the van. The tank was designed to mount up high beside the frame and the body panel. That tank along with the stock tank gave us well over 60 gallons of fuel capacity - for a range averaging around 1000 miles. Fantastic ... I wish our Class C motorhome had that expedition vehicle kind of range!!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'm ready for a nice break at 200-250 miles anyway.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
It has a 25 gallon tank, driving range is poor. There is a lot of room on the drivers side between the driveshaft and the frame. The filler looks tricky to do.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Same as above, the existing tank may be able to be changed out for a larger one.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
T18skyguy wrote:
I think it would be an ambitious project. Most RV's can be kinda busy underneath with the existing tank, black and grey tank plus water tank. I think it would need to be a real custom fit. One other consideration would be weight and balance. It could probably be done if your careful and with the right setup. An easier option might be replace the existing tank with a larger one if there is room. Good luck with it.

I go with replacing the existing tank. Look that up first.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I think it would be an ambitious project. Most RV's can be kinda busy underneath with the existing tank, black and grey tank plus water tank. I think it would need to be a real custom fit. One other consideration would be weight and balance. It could probably be done if your careful and with the right setup. An easier option might be replace the existing tank with a larger one if there is room. Good luck with it.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Probably depends on how big a tank and how much room is under the frame. You'll probably want it mounted inside the frame for accident protection. Consider an external mount like they use for motorcycling or off roading. You can add or not depending on the circumstances.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions