cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Service Quotes

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
We were given a quote of $4500 for a 60-month extended warranty through Good Sams on a used 2017 class c motorhome we're purchasing. The deductible is $100, or $50 if we use Camping World. Does this sound reasonable, or should we try to negotiate a lower price? Unfortunately, the manufacturer's warranty doesn't transfer to us from the original owner.
32 REPLIES 32

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
soren wrote:
Please do not allow yourself to get screwed out of $4500 for a warranty that you don't need, will have difficulty finding somebody to honor, and will regret. First, most competent shops are booked solid, for weeks and months ahead, so if you have a problem you better learn to live with it, or get used to your camper sitting in the dealers lot for weeks on end, until it gets repaired. Second, most parts of the country have one, or more, independent mobile RV mechanics that are competent, MUCH cheaper than dealers, and tend to get things fixed in days, not months. Finally, odd's are you will either never make a claim on that grossly overpriced warranty, or you will make one or two, and be bitterly disappointed with the overall experience of getting them to pay. $4500 in your savings account is FAR more useful to you that wasting it on a warranty that, statistically speaking, almost never provides you with $4500 of value for the $4500 you wasted on it.

X2

X3
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
Please do not allow yourself to get screwed out of $4500 for a warranty that you don't need, will have difficulty finding somebody to honor, and will regret. First, most competent shops are booked solid, for weeks and months ahead, so if you have a problem you better learn to live with it, or get used to your camper sitting in the dealers lot for weeks on end, until it gets repaired. Second, most parts of the country have one, or more, independent mobile RV mechanics that are competent, MUCH cheaper than dealers, and tend to get things fixed in days, not months. Finally, odd's are you will either never make a claim on that grossly overpriced warranty, or you will make one or two, and be bitterly disappointed with the overall experience of getting them to pay. $4500 in your savings account is FAR more useful to you that wasting it on a warranty that, statistically speaking, almost never provides you with $4500 of value for the $4500 you wasted on it.

X2
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^
what he said!!

soren
Explorer
Explorer

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
stargirl96 wrote:
Okay, has anyone bought and used the Good Sams tire protection program? What's your experience?

I implore you not to spend money on that. If you want a good warranty on the tires, go to any America's Tire or Discount Tire and buy their very good warranty for about $15 per tire. Rock solid, even if you did not buy the tires from them.

Very good experience with their warranty BTW

FYI. I have purchased 18 tires and no warranties. I have so far 270 dollars in my tire fund. I have replaced a tire for 90 dollars. i now have 180 dollars in my tire fund. 4 tires will soon be 3 years old so even though they are used locally and few miles they will expire.

Tire Service Agreement
The Tire Service Agreement entitles purchaser to free:
WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHECKS
FLAT REPAIRS
TIRE AIR PRESSURE CHECK
TIRE ROTATION EVERY 5000 MILES
TIRE BALANCING EVERY OTHER TIRE ROTATION
REPLACEMENT OF DAMAGED TIRES
FOR 36 MONTHS OR UNTIL 3/32” OF TREAD
*See stores for a complete documentation for Tire Service Agreement - Some restrictions may apply.

Additional details for the Tire Service Agreement
Who is covered?
The original purchaser of the tires.
The tires must be purchased at an American Tire Depot location.
This Certificate and tire must be presented to an American Tire Depot location.
What is covered?
American Tire Depot will replace a tire that becomes unserviceable due to cuts, Non-repairable punctures or impact damage. American Tire Depot will repair tires with tread-face injuries if it could be safely repaired.
This certificate covers failures in tires purchased from American Tire Depot.
This warranty is valid for 36 months from the date of purchase or when the tire reaches 3/32 of an inch, whichever occurs first. A tire is considered worn out when it has 3/32 of an inch or less tread depth.
The purchaser will be charged additional fees to purchase Road Hazard Warranty on replaced tires.
Mounting and balancing charges may apply.
What is not covered?
A tire that is damaged due to vandalism or willful abuse.
A tire that is damaged due to off-road use or snow chains.
A tire that is damaged by irregular and untimely wear.
A tire that is damaged due to mechanical failure, an accident or fire.
Loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use of vehicle, other property damage or consequential damages.

What are the purchaser’s responsibilities for tire care?
The purchaser must rotate and balance the tires and keep the records of service, operate the tires at the proper air pressure as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. American Tire Depot provides this service free of charge with this certificate.
The purchaser must keep all mechanical parts that effect tires, such as wheel alignment, shocks, and struts, in proper working condition.
By redeeming this certificate, the purchaser relinquishes his/her right to any manufacturer’s warranty that may apply, and American Tire Depot may claim for its own benefit such warranty.

Good for you.

Like all warranties, they're a ****-shoot. The girl was thinking about buying the Good Sam Tire Warranty and I provided her with a better alternative IMO.

BTW, you quoted from AMERICAN TIRE DEPOT which is NOT America's Tire or Discount Tire (same company), so it's an apples to oranges comparison.

I have had no dealings with AMERICA TIRE DEPOT, but can tell you I have had several tires (including 2 trailer tires) replaced under the warranties with un-fixable damage, and you also get the free lifetime rotation and balance, so overall, I think it's OK. If I was buying a warranty, I would buy from the aforementioned company. Good thing about them is there's one in just about every town if you travel a lot like we do!!

I stand corrected, here is America's tire and guess what, it says the same thing.. 🙂

CERTIFICATE
FOR REPAIR, REFUND OR REPLACEMENT
For a fee collected at the time of the original tire purchase or for a fee collected to subject other tires to the terms of this certificate, America’s Tire stores will refund the purchase price and the sales tax, if any, on any tire covered in the event of a failure due to workmanship and materials or a non-repairable road hazard for the service of the original tread down to 3/32 inch remaining, or 3 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first. Upon refund or credit of sales tax, customer hereby acknowledges by actual signature or electronic signature capture such credit or refund. This additional acknowledgement satisfies a technical requirement in the sales tax statutes and/or regulations for many jurisdictions that a signed receipt must be obtained upon the refund or credit of sales taxes. At the election of the purchaser, we will sell a replacement tire to the purchaser at the original price paid for the damaged tire, plus the required sales tax. In the event the covered tire is discontinued or unavailable, a tire of similar value will be substituted.
If in our opinion, the tire can be safely repaired, we will do so free of charge. The cost of this certificate is set forth on the receipt issued for the purchase of tire(s).
This certificate will be honored at any America’s Tire stores. This certificate does not cover damage caused by collision, vandalism, chain damage, mechanical defects of the vehicle or willful abuse. No other property damage or consequential damage of any kind is covered by this certificate.
There will be additional charges to purchase a new certificate for a replacement tire and to balance a replacement tire.
By redeeming this certificate, the customer relinquishes the right to any manufacturer’s warranty that may apply, and America’s Tire may claim for its own benefit any such manufacturer’s warranty.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
stargirl96 wrote:
Okay, has anyone bought and used the Good Sams tire protection program? What's your experience?

I implore you not to spend money on that. If you want a good warranty on the tires, go to any America's Tire or Discount Tire and buy their very good warranty for about $15 per tire. Rock solid, even if you did not buy the tires from them.

FYI. I have purchased 18 tires and no warranties. I have so far 270 dollars in my tire fund. I have replaced a tire for 90 dollars. i now have 180 dollars in my tire fund. 4 tires will soon be 3 years old so even though they are used locally and few miles they will expire.

Tire Service Agreement
WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHECKS
FLAT REPAIRS
TIRE AIR PRESSURE CHECK
*See stores for a complete documentation for Tire Service Agreement - Some restrictions may apply.

Who is covered?
What is covered?
American Tire Depot will replace a tire that becomes unserviceable due to cuts, Non-repairable punctures or impact damage. American Tire Depot will repair tires with tread-face injuries if it could be safely repaired.
This warranty is valid for 36 months from the date of purchase or when the tire reaches 3/32 of an inch, whichever occurs first. A tire is considered worn out when it has 3/32 of an inch or less tread depth.
The purchaser will be charged additional fees to purchase Road Hazard Warranty on replaced tires.
What is not covered?
Loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use of vehicle, other property damage or consequential damages.

The purchaser must rotate and balance the tires and keep the records of service, operate the tires at the proper air pressure as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. American Tire Depot provides this service free of charge with this certificate.
The purchaser must keep all mechanical parts that effect tires, such as wheel alignment, shocks, and struts, in proper working condition.
By redeeming this certificate, the purchaser relinquishes his/her right to any manufacturer’s warranty that may apply, and American Tire Depot may claim for its own benefit such warranty.

Good for you.

Like all warranties, they're a ****-shoot. The girl was thinking about buying the Good Sam Tire Warranty and I provided her with a better alternative IMO.

BTW, you quoted from AMERICAN TIRE DEPOT which is NOT America's Tire or Discount Tire (same company), so it's an apples to oranges comparison.

I have had no dealings with AMERICA TIRE DEPOT, but can tell you I have had several tires (including 2 trailer tires) replaced under the warranties with un-fixable damage, and you also get the free lifetime rotation and balance, so overall, I think it's OK. If I was buying a warranty, I would buy from the aforementioned company. Good thing about them is there's one in just about every town if you travel a lot like we do!!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron3rd wrote:
stargirl96 wrote:

Tire Service Agreement
WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHECKS
FLAT REPAIRS
TIRE AIR PRESSURE CHECK

Who is covered?
What is covered?
What is not covered?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea above.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
stargirl96 wrote:

Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
stargirl96 wrote:
Yes, there are very good reasons for not getting one, but some people say RVs aren't made as well now.

Stargirl, the part about rv's not being well made is true to a certain extent. BUT don't be taken twice. Dealers pay about $400 for those extended warranties and sell them for what they can get. I used to be in the business so don't fall for the sales pitch. Most rv's are built well enough! Go for it and have fun!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2017 model..... I'd put the $4500 in the bank.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I have one on the 12 winnebago we bought used. Just had to submit a $2000 claim for a fuel pump failure and some related work! Do not buy from the dealer, I have the CW one and they seem to be ok now. My price was someplace in the $3000 range maybe less. The GS roadside service and tow worked well also. Your reasoning is why we bought in 1st place too many electric junk items to fail.

Normally we dont buy but with the limited use and random possibility of a failure feel it was worthwhile to get one. BTW this is the 1st time we had a roadside breakdown and it was not fun.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow......can't actually believe someone is going to spend that HUGE amount on a warranty! Never ever purchased one in my life and never will. Strictly for those who want that unfounded, feel-good since of security when a dealer will gladly stamp a "guarantee" label on the box even if you're buying a piece of ****. Taken from Tommy Boy movie.....but an accurate statement. Good luck.