cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single person - How difficult to do everything by yourself?

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello all. I looked for a solo rv'ers section but didn't see one, so I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

I want to full time when I retire and have been researching RV's. I am single, so that brings me to my question:

What is going to be easiest as far a hooking up and setting up when it's only 1 person? I can't decide on whether to get a MH with a toad or a truck/TT or truck/5'ver combination. I would really prefer not to have to buy a big truck and use it as a daily driver once I get some where. But, just how easy or difficult is it for 1 person to do everything? I still have some time before I need to make a final decision. I am curious as to what other solo rv'ers have and why. Currently I am not planning on doing a lot of traveling but finding a spot and staying a month or two then going some where else and staying for a while.

Your thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.
43 REPLIES 43

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with my dog. Back in 2006 my wife had passed away years before and left me my first travel dog. I wanted to do the Alcan Highway so I bought a TT and did it with my dog. After a lot of tent camping prior to getting an RV. The TT was like a condo on wheels. But life changes with time if we are still around.

Now that you are leaning towards a MH. You have to decide on a class A or a class C. I did the TT to a class A. A wonderful floor plan. But I could not get past the one door out and the number of steps at the door as I got older. I ended up with my current class C. It has several draw backs. Like lack of kitchen counter space and a toilet that is too high. But the driver’s door makes up for that. It is so nice to just hop out and see what you are doing or get gas. Also the cab over shields you from the sun while driving and is a great storage place. Plus only two steps to get in from the coach door.

Most are on a Ford chassis if a gasser. Not a Ford chassis guru, far from it in fact. But make sure it has Tow/Haul mode. My 2010 chassis does.

Why? Because on downgrades the engine and transmission help to slow the rig down or at least minimize the braking required in Tow/Haul mode. Out west that is a real blessing.

I have a Blue Ox tow setup. It is very easy to hook up or disconnect once you figure out how to do it. When it wears out I will get one that works on surge while stopping. I do not remember the name. Nothing beats pulling in to a one night pull through spot in the rain and just going back, relax, making supper. Then going to bed without leaving the MH.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Guessing Moho/toad is the easiest setup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Again, I want to thank everyone for their replies. I am really leaning toward a MH/toad combination. I think that combination would fit me the best. My current vehicle is towable on a dolly, so I may consider getting one that I can tow 4 down. I have a Jeep Renegade (now my 5th jeep) which would have been ideal if it was capable of towing 4 down. I love the gas mileage it gets. But I still have time to get a different vehicle if I decide.

grant135b
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I did many multi-week trips and weekends with our two young (under 10) sons in our motorhome-toad combo, and our routine was always this - she takes the boys and keeps them fed, occupied, go exploring, visit the restroom, run off some energy, or whatever, while I get the docking and set-up done by myself. Ditto for hooking up the toad, undocking, and preparing to set sail. They would take care of their personal effects and keep their clothes picked up, put away, or whatever needed done related to their stuff, but I took care of anything related to the motorhome and/or toad by myself. Depending on physical and hands-on abilities it's a bit of work but very doable for one person.
Fleetwood Pace Arrow, USAF/SAC Vet (KC-135A, B-52D)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have seen a lot of single men and women in motorhomes with toads and travel trailers. Not as many in 5th wheels. If you buy the right set up, having a toad won't be very difficult.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dawgs wrote:
I scope out the area to back into, pick a point to follow, get out many times, and I'm not worried about how long or how many times I have to adjust. I put it where I want and then go to set up. Takes me about 30 minutes to do and most of the time I only hook power and water up. If I need anything else I do later after a nice cold beer. Enjoy and have fun.

The only thing I add is placing tall orange flags on low obstacles I'll have a hard time seeing otherwise. Stumps, low boulders, stuff like that.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dawgs wrote:
I scope out the area to back into, pick a point to follow, get out many times, and I'm not worried about how long or how many times I have to adjust. I put it where I want and then go to set up. Takes me about 30 minutes to do and most of the time I only hook power and water up. If I need anything else I do later after a nice cold beer. Enjoy and have fun.

I could have written this! It is exactly what I do, except I turn the AC on before having that beer!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you're a physically capable person with average cognitive and mechanical ability then it is zero problem. If lacking in one or more of the above I could see it as a challenge.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both a MH and FW as a solo. Both are easy, with practice to set up along. The MH was probably the easiest. I like the living area in the FW better, that's why I bought another FW last year. I scope out the area to back into, pick a point to follow, get out many times, and I'm not worried about how long or how many times I have to adjust. I put it where I want and then go to set up. Takes me about 30 minutes to do and most of the time I only hook power and water up. If I need anything else I do later after a nice cold beer. Enjoy and have fun.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed my travel trailer solo since I bought the thing. You just get used to it.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
Another question to ask is how much space do you really need to feel comfortable living in? By living overseas for many years, we learned that a few hundred square ft. were enough if we didn't carry a lot of "junque".

If you can be satisfied in the equivalent of a studio apartment, then either a small travel trailer -- Casita, etc. -- and a decent towing vehicle, or a short (26' or less) Class C or B+ MH might be all you need. Just 10 minutes to drop your TT or hookups at the campsite and you can explore in the MH or towing vehicle.

If you want the space of a full apartment, then a smaller (30' or less) Class A and a 4 wheels down towable vehicle would work.

But, the mechanics of hitching a large TT or 5th wheel are more than I'd like do solo (even with a proper hitch camera). And, parking a large Class A isn't a task I'd choose to do solo, either.

The other tasks of RV operation -- water, sewer and power hookups; tank dumps; etc. -- are quickly learned. There are also a number of handy hacks to make it easier on a solo, such as quick disconnects on water hoses, SmartPlug power cables and Power Management systems (more than a mere surge protector), and tank flushers & macerator pumps to simplify the dreaded dumps.

I did most of our routine operations solo, due to DW's disability, but we built our coach so that she could do any of them she chose to -- except driving. Most of the time, she just chose not to! ;}

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
My current vehicle can be towed on a dolly not 4 down, so I know that would be a little more involved. I may consider getting a different vehicle that can be towed 4 down.

If simplicity/ease is your goal, four down is the way to go in my opinion. I've never found loading/unloading a dolly "difficult" but compared to hooking/unhooking a tow bar it is a major pain (in my opinion, of course). Plus you have to maneuver it around by hand once the vehicle is off to backup into a site (not always, but most of the time).
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

MiPaJacks
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Rolling
I have both a 5th wheel and a MH with toad. We sometime camp with our children who have a TT. The setup time for the MH take a couple minutes. Cast off the power and water line , trigger the jack retract, hook the toad and you are on your way. A quick stop without using the toad, stop, cut engine, go to bed, never having to get out or hook any thing up. I much prefer the MH as a way to travel, it is easier and the ride is better and less tiring. (fyi I have a 35 foot 5th and a 3500 Dodge truck, the MH is more comfortable)

A van plus a small trailer, might be doable. Someone said to check RVSue blog. That is her and setup, she also camps off the beaten path, and boondocks. From time to time we see solo women camping. The vehicle of choice is a MH.
Look over at the Escapees organization, they support solo woman traveling programs.
James

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you all for your replies. I am more concerned about the hooking up and unhooking of everything. I am leaning more toward a MH and a toad. My current vehicle can be towed on a dolly not 4 down, so I know that would be a little more involved. I may consider getting a different vehicle that can be towed 4 down.