Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: SoCal beach recommendation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> SoCal beach recommendation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
DesertDwellers

PHX Metro

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/17 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Try Silver Strand, I believe it s state park just a hop, skip and jump from the Del Coronado Hotel. Reservations are needed. May be crowded and it is within an easy walk of the Bay. I also suggest a car or towed of some sort.

LOVE Hotel Del! Thanks for the info!

DesertDwellers

PHX Metro

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/17 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great suggestions and tips!! Love this forum [emoticon]

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/17 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some depend on your size. San Clemente State Beach is right next to the trestles if you want to try surfing. Doheny SBP is just up the road and right on the beach but is size limited. Crystal Cove is beautiful but most likely booked already, $85-$115/night. Newport Dunes IMO is overrated especially at $200/night. Further north is the State Beach in Huntington Beach, right on the sand. Reservations a must! It's called Bolsa Chica after the wetlands....BOL ..

BTW...please put your rig info in your profile. It helps everyone and you'll get better responses....Dennis

THE WORLD IS CHANGED BY YOUR EXAMPLE, NOT BY YOUR OPINIONS
Dennis and Debi Ninth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DesertDwellers

PHX Metro

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/17 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

Some depend on your size. San Clemente State Beach is right next to the trestles if you want to try surfing. Doheny SBP is just up the road and right on the beach but is size limited. Crystal Cove is beautiful but most likely booked already, $85-$115/night. Newport Dunes IMO is overrated especially at $200/night. Further north is the State Beach in Huntington Beach, right on the sand. Reservations a must! It's called Bolsa Chica after the wetlands....BOL ..

BTW...please put your rig info in your profile. It helps everyone and you'll get better responses....Dennis

Your request has been duly noted.

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/17 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntington by the Sea RV park is okay. It is just a giant paved lot, but it has full hookups and is right on the PCH across the street from the beach. And although it's a little of a hike, you can walk down to downtown Huntington Beach and the Pier. Per Google is 1.5 miles to the Pier. Huntington Beach State park is there too, but the RV portion is further down the beach and a longer walk to anything, other than the ocean. Could be a problem without a toad, unless you like to walk.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/17 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mission Bay RV Resort (private) in San Diego is adjacent to the water and Mission Bay Park but not directly on the water. 2 week limit. Full hookups, a little pricey, (Good Sam discount) walk into Pacific Beach for shopping. Bicycles are a good idea.

Any of the State Parks i.e. San Elijo, Carlsbad, Doheny Beach are nice and on the beach. Reservations suggested.

See google maps for park layouts.

Just a general suggestion for the SoCal area. Do not plan on parking your RV on any public street overnight in beach areas, especially if you sleep in it. San Diego used to have a city ordinance prohibiting sleeping in ANY vehicle at any time. That may have changed recently due to public outcry. If you must, you can park overnight at some Amtrak/trolley stations, if appropriately sized spaces are available or at some Park and Ride lots but don't make a habit out if it.

Chum lee

* This post was last edited 07/20/17 01:55pm by Chum lee *   View edit history

F1bNorm

Gardena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/17 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote: " just retired from Southwest Airlines, I LOVE airplanes [emoticon] thanks for the info"

If so inclined, within walking distance at Dockweiler, you can take hang glider lessons.

Norm

F1BNorm

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/17 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have stayed at Newport Dunes, but I do not remember how much it cost. Executive posted $200.00 which seems high. I know I did not pay that much, but I thought it was kind of crowded and I have to agree that it is over rated.

But if you do not mind driving further north, there is Pismo Beach RV resort, and Oceana RV park right next to each other and we have had lots of fun there.

The resort you mentioned in Chula Vista. I have also stayed there before and I thought that was kind of high on the price for what you get. So we stay now at private resorts.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/17 12:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

Mission Bay RV Resort (private) in San Diego is adjacent to the water and Mission Bay Park but not directly on the water. 2 week limit. Full hookups, a little pricey, (Good Sam discount) walk into Pacific Beach for shopping. Bicycles are a good idea.

Any of the State Parks i.e. San Elijo, Carlsbad, Doheny Beach are nice and on the beach. Reservations suggested.

See google maps for park layouts.

Just a general suggestion for the SoCal area. Do not plan on parking your RV on any public street overnight in beach areas, especially if you sleep in it. San Diego used to have a city ordinance prohibiting sleeping in ANY vehicle at any time. That may have changed recently due to public outcry. If you must, you can park overnight at some Amtrak/trolley stations, if appropriately sized spaces are available or at some Park and Ride lots but don't make a habit out if it.

Chum lee

That was ruled unconstitutional by the 9th circuit court in California here awhile back.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-la-homeless-legal-fees-20150819-story.html

1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 56,4XX miles and counting....
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/17 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But San Diego, as one example, has an ordinance preventing RVs from parking overnight on city streets. So you might be able to sleep in your RV because the "no sleeping in vehicles" law was overruled, but in order to do that you'll have to have a place to park it. I would hope. Safety first, you know.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> SoCal beach recommendation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS