cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Genesis supreme tire wear

Deryll1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everybody, I am curious if anyone owning a Genesis ( 5th wheel) that has a lot of wear on their tires , I mean outside only?? Anyone? Let me know what you guys experience, thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Y-Guy
Huntindog FYI the post you quoted and replied to is from 2017, hopefully another user is helped out by our post too.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Deryll1 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I measured the brackets that connects the leave springs to the frame to the front of the trailer and back of the trailer, my driver side is over 1/4 inch further back then the passenger side. I don't know what the specs are, but I thought that both sides should measure the same in order for the axles to be parallel with the frame. I met a guy from Sedona, almost same trailer, he had exactly the same wear pattern as mine. Mine has now 2400 miles on it. Pattern as followed:
Driver side front: perfect
Passenger side front: badly worn down( not safe anymore)
Driver side back: really noticeable wear on outside only.
Passenger side back: really noticeable wear on outside only

How can it be that we have the exact same wear pattern?
The first step in solving any mechanical problem is a proper diagnosis. It appears that you have found one potential cause. I would NOT as has already been suggested (it always is) have the axles bent to fix the alignment.

Assuming that the present axles are not damaged, and have the proper shape, then the alignment is set by the location of the spring hangers. If they are welded on in the wrong location..... then they should be cut off, and a new ones welded on in the right location.

Bending an axle to compensate for misinstalled hangers is a bad idea.

If one does this, then an axle is damaged later on, due to an impact. spun bearing etc. necessitating replacement, then the replacement axle would need to be custom bent to match the old one.
If the spring hangers are installed properly, then an axle replacement can be done on the side of the road... Just bolt it in and go. No need to find an alignment shop.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Tire wear patterns

http://www.americandiscountmarine.com/trailer-tires.html
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Scott_PDX
Explorer
Explorer
Any more updates on this one? I have a Genesis 19ss that has some weird tire wear on a few of the tires. Did some measuring and the wheels "look" like they are in the same locations on each side, parallel etc. Still running the original tires and at about 7000 miles.
2001 F-350 Crew Cab: Air Rides, Bilsteins, MBRP
2017 Genesis Supreme 19ss Toy Hauler
Bunch of Motorcycles

JandDBaker
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the same problem, and am about to pursue Genesis and the axle installer for repair costs. How did you resolve your manufacturer errors?

Thanks,
Jeff

Deryll1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, yes I am the original owner. That's good to know, I have to look into that. I'm scheduled now at a shop that will check my rig and measure everything.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
From the sound of it, the spring hangers are mounted defective from the factory. Most of the frames and axles are put together by Lippert. If so, and you are the original owner I believe Lippert carries a 5yr warranty on their frames for manufacturer defects. You might check into that.

The Lippert warranty is separate from the one year Genesis provides if in fact you have a Lippert frame.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Deryll1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply, I measured the brackets that connects the leave springs to the frame to the front of the trailer and back of the trailer, my driver side is over 1/4 inch further back then the passenger side. I don't know what the specs are, but I thought that both sides should measure the same in order for the axles to be parallel with the frame. I met a guy from Sedona, almost same trailer, he had exactly the same wear pattern as mine. Mine has now 2400 miles on it. Pattern as followed:
Driver side front: perfect
Passenger side front: badly worn down( not safe anymore)
Driver side back: really noticeable wear on outside only.
Passenger side back: really noticeable wear on outside only

How can it be that we have the exact same wear pattern?

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the axles need to be re-aligned. The camber is off if they are wearing on one edge, meaning the tire and wheel is slightly tilted to the edge that is worn.

Most RV repair shops cannot align the axles because they have to actually slightly bend them to do an alignment. You will need to contact a heavy duty truck and trailer shop that specializes in alignments.

If your RV is new and under warranty, the manufacturer may be able to guide you as to where.

I have seen where cheap tires can wear uneven, or cupped without being out of alignment if it's just one or two of the tires due to the belts letting go inside the tire.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Text my buddy he has a new 38gs - said his is fine. Bought it back in January.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker