cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you turn off your refrigerator?

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Good Evening All... As long as we have been camping we had not heard that this was something we should do until this evening when a friend mentioned it to us. We keep our hybrid plugged in out in our driveway and use our fridge for extra food storage. He said that this can really affect the life of long term life of the fridge. We had no idea, been doing this for 3 years now from April-early Nov. Anyone have any knowledge of this, appreciate your input! Thanks, Sue
31 REPLIES 31

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I always turn off the fridge when not camping. My refrigerator is 15 years old and still gets cold when I want it to.

In a sealed system like refrigerators, I doubt this causes any harm. I bet the harm comes from operating them in a canted position like the manufacturers warn against. I don't remember seeing any instructions to keep them running when not in use.

I bet 90% of camping refrigerators are turned off when not used.

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Our motorhome is plugged in at our S&B house, so we can run the A/C and also the fridge/freezer. When we decide we're done camping for the year, we empty the unit, defrost as needed and leave if off, door barely ajar, till we decide to start traveling again.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
My local camper shop (a one man shop, before he retired) told me to leave it on whenever possible, they will last longer. My 5er is 17 years old and keeps our beverages nearly ice cold.

This is the same man that told me not to buy a 5er with a gooseneck adapter, "...if it is a camper you want to keep."

He never tried to sell you anything, but would give advice to save you money. There was no reason not to believe him.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I had a LP fridge go bad (ammonia leak) on a two year old 1984 Aljo 26' 5th wheel trailer I bought new.
My fault....parked it behind the barn out of level side to side with the fridge on and burnt a hole in a tube. LP fridges before the '86-'87 era had to be level.
I bought a new one from Dometic. Their tech guy said Dometic recommended turning the unit off for extended periods such as a 6-8 week period. That was in '87 and maybe they recommend something different now.

My rv sits in the shed now as 100 degree temps is just too hot to enjoy mother nature....and the fridge is turned off with the doors open airing out.

Always go the the mfg and see what they say.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Never during the summer. It is plugged into AC at the house.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Refrigerator/freezers,as stated by another poster last longer if left on.
They have been cutting ours off in storage, but I hadn't thought about it.
I'll tell them to leave it on.
They don't want the propane on in storage inside ut it is always connected to electric.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
Mine goes on a day or 2 before I leave on a trip, and is turned off when we get home.

This thread makes it look like the majority leave it on, which surprises me.

Yep, that's where I'm at also.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Some of us don't have the luxury of having a place to store our RVs so they can be left plugged in. I have one at a campground but at the end of the season we totally disconnect from services well except black hose, and haven't had any issues on a 2006 model with orig frig. The other toy hauler is on storage lot and only get used/frig turned on when we go somewhere...no problems there either. It just depends on what the individuals situation is in my opinion, some are able to leave them on others are not. So with that being said the life of the frig will be what it will be!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
BBFD wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
325 watts x 2 /3 x 24 = 5.2 kwh per day

365 x 5.2 = 1898 Kwh per year

1898 x 0.12 =~ $227.00 per year

Don, I thought mine was only 175 watts. Seems I pulled it apart once to look. It's been a while, maybe I'm mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time - LOL!

I put my Kill-O-Watt on my 8 cu ft refig a few years ago and got around ~325 watts. Meter was plugged in at the frig rather than the shore power to avoid misleading data from charger, detector, etc.

Different size fridges ...different wattage heat elements.
Key is to know/use the right one for YOUR model of fridge
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BBFD
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
325 watts x 2 /3 x 24 = 5.2 kwh per day

365 x 5.2 = 1898 Kwh per year

1898 x 0.12 =~ $227.00 per year

Don, I thought mine was only 175 watts. Seems I pulled it apart once to look. It's been a while, maybe I'm mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time - LOL!

I put my Kill-O-Watt on my 8 cu ft refig a few years ago and got around ~325 watts. Meter was plugged in at the frig rather than the shore power to avoid misleading data from charger, detector, etc.
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie CTD
2017 KZ Durango 292BHT

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
we used to religiously shut off, empty and clean the fridge after each trip, not anymore. this season I had to replace the electric element since then we have had the fridge running, that was back in april. I do see that after this next trip I might need to empty and shut off for a few hours to defrost, after I will turn it back on.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Mine goes on a day or 2 before I leave on a trip, and is turned off when we get home.

This thread makes it look like the majority leave it on, which surprises me.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
When not in use its turned off. When I put it away after each use, I raise the tongue high enough to clear the ball and leave it just like that to help with water run off, So obviously the trailer isn't even close to being level and that could cause harm to the fridge.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Bob,

Hope you are managing the smoke ok. Did you go on your dry ice trip?

I think the 12 volt setting on mine is 175 watts (or less) that's why it doesn't work well.

Being resistance heating, voltage does matter considerably to the output. Mine, on 120 volt, often reads 335 watts, but I have seen 312 watts, too.

BobsYourUncle wrote:
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.