cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keurig Storage (Freezing)

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
I know this topic was mentioned before but a solution to the problem was never really found.
We lost one Keurg to freezing over winter storage and another one that was semi froze during fall camping.
I've yet to call Keurig costumer service to see what they say. We like many others are hooked on theses machines. I would think they could invent a non toxic product under there label for winter storage.
Our problem is mostly during fall camping that we do in upstate PA when we leave the camper setup semi permanent from late August until mid to late November. We blow out the camper water lines and empty the water heater as the colder weather approaches and we use the camper on weekends. Just emptying the Keurig reservoir has not been enough to prevent damage. End of the season then we fully winterize the camper and remove the Keurig and store it at home.
I also have learned that all Keurig models are not the same. We like the ones with the reservoir tank and not the single cup model.
Thanks for any suggestions
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
12 REPLIES 12

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Dump the Keurig and get a real coffee maker. Once you use the Technivorm Moccamster you'll never go back to that Keurig junk again.

Funny,
That's just your opinion. I like my fake Kuerig coffee from my junk Kuerig coffee maker, suites me fine. Amazing how much these threads can drift off subject.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Dump the Keurig and get a real coffee maker. Once you use the Technivorm Moccamster you'll never go back to that Keurig junk again.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best suggestion is do not buy another Keurig.. For one thing those coffee pods Green Mountain sells (K-Kups) do not break down in land fills and are thus a major solution source. (you can get bio-degradable ones from other companies but I don't care for the coffee that much, You can also get resuablee (Cups) (put in your own coffee) but if you do that why have a Keurig?

You can also get 3rd party automatic drip coffee makers that can accept K-Kups I have seen one by Sunbeam and another (Which I have) in a store called Freds. 20 bucks as I recall.

The other reason to avoid Keurig is that, as you discovered, there is no way to completly empty them of water. Thus the water remains in them all the time, If not used often the water gets stagnant and of course in your case.... Well,

The automatic drip makers do boil off all the water.. So that's not a problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
campincandice wrote:
We just store ours in our house for the winter.

We do this with our regular coffee maker too. It's just not worth the risk to leave it in there.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
campincandice wrote:

That's makes perfect sense to me...Problem solved, after one freezing would have thought the OP would be doing that also. Its not like its a big deal to pick one up and move it. Just my thought.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
nohurry wrote:
Of topic a little I know, but you should drain your Keurig if you won't be using it for a few days. This is for sanitary reasons. Friend of mine found info on line about germs etc forming in the internal tank, and now they won't use one at all. We love ours, and we only use bottled/distilled water as this helps, and we get no scaling either.

I've had one for over 10 years. If I don't use it for a while, I clean the external tank and then I just run a few cycles of water through before drinking. The internal tank gets hot enough to kill the germs, and then flushing it through the pipes should take care of anything else.

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Of topic a little I know, but you should drain your Keurig if you won't be using it for a few days. This is for sanitary reasons. Friend of mine found info on line about germs etc forming in the internal tank, and now they won't use one at all. We love ours, and we only use bottled/distilled water as this helps, and we get no scaling either.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Some Keurigs have a "drain" ability. I've used that to dump the internal water storage tank, which allowed the Keurig to stand temperatures in the teens.

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I think ours is a B140. You turn the knob on the top to "drain", empty the reservoir and put it back on. The drain light/button will blink and you hold it down. The water will pump out into the reservoir, hold the button down until water stops.

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
I have not tried, but Here is one suggestion