cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dallas to Galveston

jparker66
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving for Galveston this Sunday and have always gone through Houston to Galveston. Has anyone used the Sam Houston Tollway/Beltline 8 to go around Houston?
Thanks
James & Sharon
2016 Flagstaff Superlite
2011 3/4 Chevy Diesel LTZ Loaded
CAMPING IS GREAT! ENJOY THE OUTDOORS!
8 REPLIES 8

jparker66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again fellow campers. We are stopping at Huntsville State Park on the return trip next Friday. We have stayed at a lot of State Parks and this will be a new one.
Happy Trails to All
James & Sharon
2016 Flagstaff Superlite

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
jparker66 wrote:
Thanks to everyone.
2112 Texas - We are leaving Thursday. If we leave Glaveston around 9 and go through Houston, will I be ok?

If you leave Galveston on any day but Sunday at 9 a.m., you should be OK. You might catch some "early departures from the beach" traffic on Sunday morning. There is some rush hour traffic on the Gulf Freeway (I-45 south from Houston to Galveston) on weekday mornings, but not nearly as bad as I-45 north of Houston and you will be going the other way as it will be coming into the city.

I cannot shed any light on the League City I-45 construction since I have not been through there recently, but at least on your return trip, straight through on I-45 is the way to go. It is probably the way to go on the way to Galveston. Sam Houston Tollway would be a less stressful, longer and more expensive option. The free stretch of SHT between I-45 & US-59 (Beltway ๐Ÿ˜Ž north of Houston does carry a lot of traffic.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
2112 wrote:
No offence but that's crazy. Avoid 45 by going through Baytown & Kemah?

45 has some major construction going on around League City.
Going through down town on 45 will take at least 30min.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

jparker66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone.
2112 Texas - We are leaving Thursday. If we leave Glaveston around 9 and go through Houston, will I be ok?
James & Sharon
2016 Flagstaff Superlite

Explorer II
Explorer II
Home Skillet wrote:
I would take the Hardy Toll ( no cash lanes) road to 610 east , to I 10 east , then south on 146.
No offence but that's crazy. Avoid 45 by going through Baytown & Kemah?

I've lived just off the island most my life. I have came to Galveston any way possible too many times. From Dallas 45 south middle lane straight to the seawall would be your best bet.
If you are watching the traffic and it's backed up south of town get on 288 in downtown and take 288 to 6.
If you get stuck behind a wreck south of Houston get off 45 and get on 3.

If you're rolling through Houston on a Sunday afternoon you should have no problems. Most of the beach traffic will be north bound.

Has anyone used the Sam Houston Tollway/Beltline 8 to go around Houston?
Yes. It's worth the cost during weekday rush hour. Sam Houston will save you a little time but Beltway is the long way around.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
The EZ Tag for Dallas will work here in Houston.

I would take the Hardy Toll ( no cash lanes) road to 610 east , to I 10 east , then south on 146.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI, not all of the beltway is cash option. Some stretches are easypass only. Not sure how they enforce that. Went through a stretch like that a couple of months ago with no pass but have yet to receive anything in the mail, though I have out of state plates.

BobKrogstie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, just have your wallet ready to take a hit.
Bob and Natalie
2008 Grand Junction 37QSB
2009 Dodge 3500DRW Big Horn 4X2/CC/LB/CTD/4:10/Auto