cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bilstein shocks

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
2016 ford E450 29 ft class c. want to replace oem shocks with bilsteins. Got quote from camping world today and they listed part #
33-187563 for the front and part # 33-176840 for the rear.looking on Shock warehouse web site these shock numbers say comfort light duty.

front 33-187570, rear 33-176857 on shockwharehouse show these as heavy duty,motor home & commercial

For those of you who have installed on your MH , did you get the heavy duty or the comfort light duty.

already checked and can save $150. by not going with CW.
13 REPLIES 13

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Bilstein versus Koni FSD owners' opinions/impressions probably have a lot to do with how big of a Class C they're using them on - both side-surface-area-wise, overall-weight-wise, and front/rear-weight-distribution-wise.

Note that the Koni FSD shock part numbers are IDENTICAL whether you're buying them for a Ford E350 or a Ford E450 ... and on top of that ... regardless of how much weight, or wind force, or road curve centrifical force - the coach is going to expose either chassis to.

Of course any one particular shock can't handle all of the Class C coach/chassis combinations using any one single damping rate (Bilstein) or any one set of variable damping rates (Koni FSD).

For larger/heavier Class C RV's on the E450 chassis, most likely the HD Bilsteins would do better most of the time in most situations ... and for Class C RV's on the E350 chassis, most likely the HD Bilsteins would again do better most of the time in most situations. In both of these scenarios the suspension system needs shock help for controlling of a relatively higher weight/force to chassis ratio.

My particular situation was different - a smaller/lighter Class C RV on the E450 chassis. For this setup a full time heavy duty, or a full time soft, shock would not be the way to go. I DID NOT need an "HD" shock on roadway cracks (vertical forces) to add to the rear leaf spring stiffness. At the same time I DID NOT need a "soft" shock for side-force control (the more stiffness the better for that). Hence, a shock with more than one damping rate was better.

It boils down to how much motorhome does it's suspension have to control, relatively speaking. What Koni really needs to consider is different FSD shock designs/part nos. for the E350 chassis versus the E450 chassis ... maybe even four(4) different shock designs/part nos. for: Lightly and heavily loaded E350 chassis, and lightly and heavily loaded E450 chassis.

Of course the ultimate is an infinitely-variable, electronically-controlled $$$ shock system like I believe that some ultra-high performace racing cars use. Koni's FSD shocks are a step in this direction for some RV setups.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I value Control over Comfort, so when we want shocks we'll get HD Bilsteins.

The Henderson's Line Up people promote the FSD's and they don't sell higher priced stuff (vs say Bilstein, Monroe, Rancho) to get a couple more bucks. We had an OP who had FSD's installed there and wasn't impressed by the shocks. We don't know what this OP's expectations were, and he hasn't been back. Beyond that, most FSD reviews by our OP's have been favorable.

But me, I'll stick with OFDPOS on this one. He has a lot of automotive experience, and he likes things RIGHT.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Livies Dad
J-D is referring to me .
I put Bilsteins on my last two MH's

Thought I'd try the Koni's FSD's this time around from reading some of the reviews here and on a couple other forums.

Just got back from a 730 mile round trip on the same road I had taken a few weeks back with the stock shocks vs the Koni's FSD this weekend.

I've traveled this same road with all 3 MH's several times..

For the ones that have traveled on the roads , its Hwy 20 from Williams Ca over to Clear Lake on over to Willits to Hwy 101 and then Hwy 1 to Fort Bragg ,back on 101 on up to Eureka/Trinadad and back.

Lots of twists, turns, uneven roads, road construction to torn up roads.
A good test run for any mods,,, Anti Sway Bars , Shocks, S-T-P, Trac Bar etc.
The Hellwig anti sway bars I installed did made a big difference, the Koni's I feel did not.

I knew I should have went with my gut instinct and stayed with the Bilsteins HD! Wished I did now.
NOT impressed with the Koni's FSD's one bit...

Yes the Koni's did help over the stock ones , BUT every dip in the road the front end just dove right in and bounced back up.
Whereas the Bilsteins handled the dips A LOT better. They didn't have that initial uneasy dive feeling like the Koni's do and the stock shocks !

Also absolutely no difference between them (Koni) and the stock shocks slow driving over road cracks you still get the slam in the rear, but at speed the Koni's are better than the stock shocks.
To be fair tho the Bilsteins on my other MH's did too but I still feel did better than the Koni's ...

One more thing the stock shocks were gas filled , I was kinda surprised about that considering on my last MH's they were not.

I paid $628.00 delivered to my door for the Koni's FSD's , should have stayed with the Bilstiens and saved $230.00 ...

This is on a 2011 Aspect 28B 29.7 ft on a E450 chassis...

So my vote is for the Bilsteins HD ...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Livies Dad wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on E-shocks. they do have the best price I have found.

:B I have been using Dons AKA E Shocks for 30 years of more for Bilstiens on my off road buggies and all of my other vehicles.They know their stuff and their prices are always the best.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Livies_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
I am in no hurry. DW to have back surgery in next month and Dr says at
least 3 month recovery period. I did have the HD Bilstein on my 06 MH that I put on at 6k mile and had 51 k when traded. Was happy with
them. Prev rv was 33 ft and this one only 29ft. Had way tooo much stuff in previous. Thanks for the heads up on E-shocks. they do have the best price I have found.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to wait a couple weeks or so before making a Bilstein/Koni decision. We have an OP who's put Bil's on two former Class C's and is now installing Koni FSD's on a third coach. There just might be some useful comments forthcoming.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
You want the heavy duty. They were a big improvement on our 24.5 foot Minnie.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Koni's on mine. Get shocks designed and built for RV'S. Once loaded these motorhomes are doing anything but light duty. Spend the money and get good shocks, try to save pennies and you will have 4 shocks that you will regret.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a better price try E Shocks,they usually have the best price with free shipping. They have been selling Bilsteins for a very long time.

Their staff is very knowledgeable and can answer all your questions,what ever it may be.

They will know what will work in any application.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
For a 29 footer, you'll want the heavy duty ones all around.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
It might ride ruff with the heavy duty, I replaced my Bilstein shocks with Monroe RV shocks to smooth out the bumps, so be carful with those heavy duty cause it might just ride like one..

You could go heavy duty in back and the soft ones in front for comfort.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 on the heavy duty version.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
Get the heavy duty...the comfort version is is basically an improved regular van duty shock. The heavy duty shocks are designed for much more demanding applications such as motorhomes.

I just bought 4 of these...the best price by far was at the Tire Rack.

PPL had them a bit cheaper, but their part numbers were wonky online and I didn't want the hassle of making sure they had the right version or not. It was worth a few dollars more to not have to deal with the incompetent PPL website and the hassle. If they can't get their part numbers and descriptions correct on a website designed in the 90s then I don't want the stress of dealing with them if my order is shipped wrong.