cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Idaho to Alaska and back

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We just made an 8379 mile 49 day journey to Alaska and back.
Here is a link to my blog:Blog
You can check out the archives and go back to day one.
5 REPLIES 5

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The ferry at Dawson city was direct pull on and pull off, we just had to wait until there was room. The ferry we backed on was from Haines to Scagway

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
old idaho guy wrote:
We had no trouble finding camping spots. There are some that are 25 feet or less, but enough others to make up for them. The funnest was backing down a long steep ramp and then turning 90 degrees on to the ferry. They had helpers that guided you the whole way and we made it with no problems!

Was that the ferry in Dawson City? That was quite an experience when I did Alaska in 2005. Greatest trip of my life.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We had no trouble finding camping spots. There are some that are 25 feet or less, but enough others to make up for them. The funnest was backing down a long steep ramp and then turning 90 degrees on to the ferry. They had helpers that guided you the whole way and we made it with no problems!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent pics and narrative. Alaska is on my bucket list, perhaps next summer. Did you long trailer give you any issues getting into campgrounds?
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
I havenโ€™t read your blog yet, but bookmarked it and plan to. I am just starting my research for the DW and I to do a possible trip next year. At this point I really donโ€™t know what we want to do and when is the best time of year to do it. Thanks for sharing your experience, it will be a very current place to pickup some knowledge.
Bob
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition