cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HELP--planning 7000 mile trip.....

The_Waites
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advice on best way to find campgrounds on our chosen route. We prefer CORP, State, Forest & Fed. campgrounds. Also can anyone recommend a reliable GPS device. If it also had built in back up camera we'd be thrilled. Thank you for your help.
18 REPLIES 18

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
Just took a 2 week trip last month. We used Good Sam, KOA, and REC.gov apps.
For the cities we planned on visiting for a few days, we made reservations 2-3 weeks in advance. For the stops in between, we just called a couple of hours before we got there. Never really had a problem getting a place to rest. Get an RV GPS, we didn't have one, and wished we would have. To be honest, we really only needed in populated cities, like New York City. They have lower clearance bridges / crossover. More importantly, give yourself plenty of time to drive. If google maps says travel time is 7-8 hours, add 2 hours. You'll probably drive slower than anticipated, I drove mostly 60-65mph and mountains & curves will slow you down even more. Stop driving and check in by 6-7pm, give your time to setup and enjoy the camps. Have fun.

Jump
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Garmin 760lmt GPS. It is made for Rvs and has very good search features for such things as Campgrounds, Shopping, etc. It also came with a back-up camera which works wirelessly.

We've used the campground search feature many times to find campgrounds while on the road. We then research on our smartphone the ones we find and choose one we like. That works out quite well.

The 760lmt has settings for rv height, weight and length which allows choosing a route avoiding height restricted bridges, toll roads and the such.

Cost 2 years ago was about 600 dollars. Worth every penny. And free map updates!

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760LMT-Wireless-Backup-Camera/dp/B00IUO7PHE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501085696&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin+760lmt

And yes, RVParkreviews.com is outstanding!

Jump

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 1986 we toured the 39 states west of the Mississippi and it took nine months.
We stayed and played in a lot of spots but NEVER did we reserve a spot. We just played it by ear. Get tired, find a CG and rest. We kind of knew the routes we would take but not when we would get to any particular town. More fun for us that way.
We were in a 33' MH "A", and towing a small pickup.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

The_Waites
Explorer
Explorer
It's not too early to start mapping, planning your stops and finding campgrounds.Hope you have a great time!!!

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are considering a trip from our home in VA to my family in WA state next spring, before it gets too hot anyway. Thanks for bringing this up, The Waites. I need to watch threads like this...

The_Waites
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know my husband does want to add one. TY

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is easy to add a backup camera too.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for RVParkreviews.com

Be sure to read the reviews and don't take the number rating at face value.

For example, many family friendly parks get high marks for pools, playgrounds, bike trails and what not which is actually negative for us.

We sought out quieter places off the beaten path. Great parks, but low score from family folks.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

The_Waites
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the suggestions!!!

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
RV Park Reviews is my favorite. Use the app or the website.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I have free Allstays app on my phone. You can ckeck it out on the web first if you want. Also look at Ultimate Campgrounds app, for $3.99, very thorough and detailed.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
On our recent trip, I selected the route (Indianapolis, IN to Custar, SD). Then determined how may days we wanted to spend traveling. We selected 4 days travel to get there.

I then took the total number of miles and divided by 4. I then pin pointed on a map where those 4 points were.

Then simply did a Google Search on Campgrounds for the nearest city at each point. It turned out we did about 350 miles each leg of the journey.

Our return home? We planned on 4 days, but decided to select the route after we reached our destination. The day before we left, I went through the same exercise as we wanted to travel a different route coming home. Turned out, the first leg was closer to 400 miles, but right there was a KOA campground. We spent the night. And the next leg of the trip ... well ... we drove straight home and got home 2 days early. That turned out to be a good thing, although it did mean a very long day driving.

susan-y
Explorer
Explorer
Also had luck asking locals, or some bigger small towns have visitor centers/chamber of commerce. Sometimes local fairgrounds are available.
[purple]Life looks better through a windshield.
[/purple]
2008 Winnebago View

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
gps posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman