cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Researching Class C Motorhomes

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We have been researching 2005 - 2009 Class C motorhomes. We wanted a Bigfoot as it was supposed to be very good for winter use with double pane windows and the way it heated the underbelly but they are hard to come by so we've regrouped and are looking at others that might fit our criteria. We also need something that would be able to pull a boat weighing about 5000 lbs.
So far, I've found that the Winnebago Ascent also has double pane windows and it appears that the majority of the homes all have heated underbellies. To make our research a bit easier, I was wondering if the members on this site, that owned the older, 2005 - 2009, Class C motorhomes, 22' - 27', would give us their pros and cons on the homes they own. Also, it would help if you would let us know how long you have owned your home as I believe the longer you own a home, the more critical or appreciative you are with the home. I'd appreciate any advice a member can give to assist in our search. We've owned small campers, tent campers and 5th wheels but never a motorhome so is a new adventure for us. Thanks for any information or advice you can give us.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
31 REPLIES 31

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Ford introduced their 5R110 5-speed (6 ratios internally) computer controlled TorqueShift transmission in their 2005 E350 and E450 chassis.

If you find a "2005" motorhome with only the older 4-speed transmission, then you have a 2005 coach built on a 2004 Ford chassis ... which easily can be the case.

To some folks, the differences between at least the 2005 onwards E350 and E450 chassis is important. We specifically looked for and bought our 24 foot Itasca Class C new in 2005 on the optional-at-the-time E450 chassis for these reasons:

1. Weight carrying capacity - we wanted zero concerns with over-loading.

2. We wanted the larger brake swept areas of the E450 for both complete confidence on all road down grades and for overall longer brake pad life.

3. We wanted the E450's thicker frame steel for added stiffness to help prevent coach frame twist when traveling off-payment.

4. We wanted the E450's hydraulic boost power brakes instead of the vacuum boost power brakes that the E350 had (at the time).

5. We wanted the E450's lower rear differential gear ratio for increased power going up hills, for decreased transmission heating from torque converter slippage, and for improved engine braking when going down grades and when coming to a stop in Tow/Haul mode. We now travel with the Tow/Haul mode engaged all the time for the improved response it provides.

6. We wanted the larger diameter drive shaft to insure that we would never experience any issues with drive shaft vibration.

7. We wanted the wider rear stance in the rear duallies that the E450 provides for maximum lateral stability of the motorhome in high winds, when big rigs pass, and on roadway curves.

Good description of what the E450 offers! :C

It is what I bought for my first MH. I didn't even know as a newbie they made a E350 So I couldn't understand all the posts complaining about handling, stability, etc.

Because my MH drove down the road like an iron horse no matter what the weather and I never felt the semi's passing, and she rode like a limo. The wider beam does make a difference. And on mine I also had the basement model which comes with all the storage bays a big Class A offers.

So I couldn't understand the complaints on the forum regarding the same MH I had. Which is when I then learned they also made a E350 and those owners were the ones with all the handling problems.

So, from my experience buying/falling into buying a E450 made a big difference on my enjoying and driving it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Gary, thanks for the links, we'll look at them
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Thanks Gary, we've looked for the Triple E as we had heard they were good RV'S but to date, we haven't found any.

Copy and paste into your search bar...'24 ft Triple E for sale'...with punctuation marks...

I have no idea if still available.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/victoria-bc/regal-triple-e-class-c-motorhome-24-ft/1282919224?e...

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Johnson-RV-723523/listing/2012-Triple-E-Regency-GT24-GT24MB-1226090...

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Pnichols - that is good information also, thank you!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
Looks like the Lazy Daze RV's are scarce on the east coast.

Yes, there are fewer of them on the East Coast. The only factory is a family operation near Ontario California, and they only sell direct from the factory so there are no dealers. But, there are enough in the east to form the North East LD Club and the South East LD club.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
hpdrver wrote:
Ron,

From looking at your Mirage, makes me wonder why they don't make motor homes like this anymore. If you took a pick up cab chassis and put a large bed over the cab and dinette, sofa and bath in the main cabin, you would have a easy to drive coach for two under 27'.

They do in Australia, but they are 4x4 units that do surprisingly well off road

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Thanks Ron, I'll pass that information to my husband. As we've just begun, we'll talk to the gentleman more and go from there.
Good for you. Investigate that rig. If it meets your needs and budget, is in great shape, and it tickles your tummy, and is not over priced by piles, then buy it. Coach House is a great brand.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ron, I'll pass that information to my husband. As we've just begun, we'll talk to the gentleman more and go from there.
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford introduced their 5R110 5-speed (6 ratios internally) computer controlled TorqueShift transmission in their 2005 E350 and E450 chassis.

If you find a "2005" motorhome with only the older 4-speed transmission, then you have a 2005 coach built on a 2004 Ford chassis ... which easily can be the case.

To some folks, the differences between at least the 2005 onwards E350 and E450 chassis is important. We specifically looked for and bought our 24 foot Itasca Class C new in 2005 on the optional-at-the-time E450 chassis for these reasons:

1. Weight carrying capacity - we wanted zero concerns with over-loading.

2. We wanted the larger brake swept areas of the E450 for both complete confidence on all road down grades and for overall longer brake pad life.

3. We wanted the E450's thicker frame steel for added stiffness to help prevent coach frame twist when traveling off-payment.

4. We wanted the E450's hydraulic boost power brakes instead of the vacuum boost power brakes that the E350 had (at the time).

5. We wanted the E450's lower rear differential gear ratio for increased power going up hills, for decreased transmission heating from torque converter slippage, and for improved engine braking when going down grades and when coming to a stop in Tow/Haul mode. We now travel with the Tow/Haul mode engaged all the time for the improved response it provides.

6. We wanted the larger diameter drive shaft to insure that we would never experience any issues with drive shaft vibration.

7. We wanted the wider rear stance in the rear duallies that the E450 provides for maximum lateral stability of the motorhome in high winds, when big rigs pass, and on roadway curves.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
The Tow/Haul is very important to us also, just spoke with a gentleman from Oregon who has a 2005 Coach House but it only has the 4 speed transmission so we don't need to pursue it any further.
Wow, you would rule out a 2005 Coach House because of the chassis is a tad bit lesser? A 2004/2005 E350 and E450 chassis is still a great chassis. When we are talking about improvements, we are not talking inferior to superior here. We are talking about very small incremental improvements that primarily benefit the biggest and heaviest of class-C motor homes.

As far as the brake size is concerned, if you compare the specs of a 2005 to a 2009 E350 & E450, it's not much. Caliper piston diameter increased from 2.2 to 2.36 which is only 0.14", rotor from 13.03 to 13.58 an increase in the radius by 0.25". It's better no doubt about it, but if buying a shorter lighter rig like a 24 foot 2005 Coach House, you have more margin than most other class Cs. Our 23'-8" 2007 E350 chassis has plenty of stopping power traversing mountains and canyons.

I advise to check out that 2005 Coach House. If it's right for you and your budget, don't let the chassis get in your way of buying it. We talk here on this forum emphasizing "better" of which we are not wrong. But the reality of it is, it is too easy to over-emphasize as the writer, so much that the reader gets paranoid with an earlier chassis.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about the last comment, DH just corrected me about the Tow/Haul vs. Jake Brake...anyway, I still really, really like a Jake Brake/engine brake!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the Lazy Daze RV's are scarce on the east coast.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
The Tow/Haul is very important to us also, just spoke with a gentleman from Oregon who has a 2005 Coach House but it only has the 4 speed transmission so we don't need to pursue it any further...

We use the jake brake on the pickup all the time while towing and it is a blessing! We drove semi truck for two years and really came to appreciate that luxury!

Thanks again for all the information and advice.
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
DaCrema and Ron, we were looking at 2007 or newer but will change that to 2008 or newer. We definitely want the Ford chassis

The Coach Builder assigns the Model Year. We have owned two Class C's

A "1984" that was on a 1983 Chassis. Had the Chassis ALSO been 1984, it would have been easy to upgrade the Wheels.

A "2003" that's on a 2002 Chassis. So far I haven't found that the year difference makes a difference.

BUT!!! 2008 Chassis makes a BIG difference. Styling, Interior, and above all for me, BRAKES.

Tow/Haul (5-speed automatic) vs OD Off (4-speed overdrive) IS important. That change is earlier. I forget how many years, I think 2004 or -05
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB