cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you lock/secure your generator?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My Yamaha EF2800i was easy to secure since it was an open frame design. Aside from the handles, my new Champion 3400 model doesn't show any obvious places to secure a locking device to it. Any brilliant ideas out there?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
59 REPLIES 59

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
steal 100 dollar item

or 10,000

or 1 million...

they are willing to Loose there life to "Take" your stuff... So what was the question?????????

I have had 2 valuable cars stolen.. not the same year.

and lost even more after the insurance company was done..

look up the attempt of breaking into the owner of RCR racing (nascar) personal home...

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:
I've always been shocked by people who would put an item above a person's life- even a lowlife scumbag thief.

An outstanding observation indeed, and full of high road wisdom.

For an ultimate expression of this kind of thinking, watch End of the Spear to learn why someone refused to take a gun along.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
The lack of respect for life appalls me.

I've always been shocked by people who would put an item above a person's life- even a lowlife scumbag thief.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
We use a generator for approx two week long trips a year..Ky speedway in July and Bristol in August.
It takes about ten minutes to do it but I bolt my down to truck bed using bolts and nylock nuts.
My theory is a crook wants to make a quick getaway so this prevents that from happening.
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
(Instead of fishing poles, I could carry along my .300 Winchester Magnum to protect my little Honda - but I'd rather fish than pick up shell casings, clean up blood, and pay lawyers.)

But seriously, one of the best suggestions I've seen for slowing down walking red generators is to mount them using welded-in anchor bolts on their bottom to a large-enough rectangular steel plate and then park one of your vehicle wheels on a portion of the steel plate that sticks out from where the generator is mounted - not "full-proof to the Nth degree" ... but does necessitate some dirt digging or asphalt/concrete removal plus awkward upside down wrenching or jacking up of your RV or TV ... for the thing to walk off.

Another alternative approach - that unfortunately has the potential to involve lawyers - would be to install a hidden battery powered circuit somewhere on the generator that would maintain around 1000 volts-to-ground on any metallic part of the generator ... that you could turn off via a passworded App on your smart phone. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:
three quarer in cromolly chain,
very good padlock ( not a master #5).
two rotts,
and a .357.

no worrys.

as to your specific question. open up the case and see if some place to bolt/weld/feed through a cable or chain.

Sounds good. Almost the same deal when I have a load of Kawasaki ATV's in my semi trailer and parked at the house for the weekend. Got a call from them one time regarding security of the load. Told them I live 12 miles out of town, trailer is parked beside the barn, two large black dogs watching things. Myself with an M-14 and Double barreled 12 gauge coach gun, then the wife with a .45. If they can get thru all of that, that can have the ATV's. Kawasaki agreed.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
three quarer in cromolly chain,
very good padlock ( not a master #5).
two rotts,
and a .357.

no worrys.

as to your specific question. open up the case and see if some place to bolt/weld/feed through a cable or chain.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
tinner12002 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Which may come with free room and board at the crowbar hotel, possibly for a life term.

The lack of respect for life appalls me.

kerrlakeRoo wrote:
cable lock and a Glock, and scattering a few empty shell casings near it also helps.

It only appalls you because you can't have a Glock up there! Lol! Actually I'm a Ruger or S&W kind of guy myself!

I'm "up here" and I have a Glock. I would never use it on a person though. However, I do believe that all the low life thieves could use a little ventilation.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Cable lock through the handles on the Champion 3100I to the carry rack on the back of the 5W.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
RasMouSein wrote:
From LowProLockDown
When I find a permanent spot I will get this one.

This thing is awesome. I mounted mine to the bumper:

I would have preferred to mount THROUGH the bumper but I use that area for storage of awning poles. But, I think between the U-bolts and self-tapping screws that it's secure enough. It'll definitely take some work + noise to get it off of there.

Since I'm running the generator so close to slides, I've added a CO detector to the rear bunkhouse. I'm also planning on following someone's design for a genturi-like stack for them.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

RasMouSein
Explorer
Explorer
From LowProLockDown
When I find a permanent spot I will get this one.

It's a hobby for me to make things better!
See I was able to post using full words!!
Have a nice day ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 KZ, Sportsmen Classic 181BHS. 430Amp-h, Trimetric, 2kw Honda, Iota DLS-55_IQ4

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
KSH Marine beat you to it.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Quite some time ago I designed in my head a cage for generators. Design a box of stainless that your unit will fit in, and a removable to from lower flat section, Shield top from rain, hoes in sides or ventilation and access without unbolting to fuel fill and of course starting. A Metal shop will probably charge in the neighborhood of 200.00 250.00. or not.
Design the bolting system to your rv bumper or whatever with a bit of consideration. Otherwise vent a compartment and install a fan and put it inside. Or jsut make sure the door is open and fan is running when generator is running.
Closed up no one is the wiser unless they are cruising through picking targets, which seems to be the case in most instances.
Some hard mount them in pickup beds with and use long cables. harder to manuver around fifth wheel hitch and unbolt something like that, but this is not perhaps the best choice. Some Fifth Wheels and Trailers could be optioned with a generator, perhaps purchasing and installing that unit in the compartment, would be the best of ideas. Cost is perhaps the important first consideration, but replacing a stolen generator will at least double that cost.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
Heavy cable and padlock in my pickup bed. No matter what you use, if they want it bad enough, they'll get it.

1 million percent T R U E..........!