cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience Purchasing used rental from El Monte

lfrese
Explorer
Explorer
Any experiences appreciated. Considering buying but would like to know how long their 100k+ mileage RVs last for, any common issues people have at that level of miles, if you were able to negotiate the price at all, resale values?

Should I wait until later in the season to buy or are their prices pretty much constant?
10 REPLIES 10

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
cgmartine wrote:
Almost forgot, El Monte generally does not install awnings on their motorhomes. My Tioga 31M did not have one, but I do not miss it. It does have a roof ladder, but I understand that other companies do not like to install them for liability reasons.

El Monte RV will install an awning if the RV doesn't have one on it,they have a 8 acre repair shop at the Santa Fe Springs location that can do anything needed to repair, install or service your RV.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

radiojeffrv
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a used rental from CA....They did install an awning for us. They also replace all the cushions and the mattress at our request. Also after some pushing, they gave up the service records for the Majestic 28A we purchased. They followed through on all repairs and we love it. Just got back from an 11 National Park ~7000 mile road trip and had no issues. It was a fantastic price point to get in at for our 1st RV.

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Almost forgot, El Monte generally does not install awnings on their motorhomes. My Tioga 31M did not have one, but I do not miss it. It does have a roof ladder, but I understand that other companies do not like to install them for liability reasons.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Step one is to have the transmission flushed and replaced with pure synthetic fluid. Sine the rental companies never seem to bother explaining the Tow Haul function {I make it a point to chat with renters and not once have met one who'd even heard of TH}, very few renters ever use it. This results in the not so slow cooking of the trans. Replacing the differential with synthetic is also a good idea along with switching your oil.

While rentals receive regular maintenance they also receive a lot of severe abuse. Every Class C that has ever blown by me doing g 75 or 80 was a rental but fortunately most are V-10's that are relatively bulletproof. With rentals you pays your money and takes your chances but frankly I wouldn't.

As always.... opinions and YMMV.

:C

foretravelman
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 28A from El Monte out of Orlando, last May. Put on new tires, new mattress, installed a awning, updated the window shades, had the engine serviced (lube, oil, filter) and drove from Florida to Alaska and back. No problems and now do 4 to 6 day drives to state parks, etc.
Had 112K when we purchased and now just under 130k. This is a 2012. Having owned fifth wheels, pop ups and a diesel pusher, I knew a fair amount of what to look for, etc. Been very happy with the rig!
Joe Allen

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
After make sure the camper is mechanically sound, I would immediately replace all bed cushions and seating cushions that could be removed. Then just scrub the heck out of it.

Then go camping! You will most likely end up with a perfectly fine camper!

chorbelt
Explorer
Explorer
For reference, my 97 Powerstroke has 250K miles, and other than oil changes every 5K miles, I only maintain what breaks. Coming from this frame of reference, a fleet vehicle with only around 100K miles didn't bother me at all.

EM gives you a 12 month or 12K mile powertrain warranty, so anything immediately wrong, i.e., something that a private seller might be trying to pass off, gave me even more confidence. I put 6K miles on mine in the last month w/o a hiccup.

I had dually simulators put on at a local tire place (Les Schwab)and they checked the brakes for me; and they were brand new. With a rental business model, I figure they need to make sure there stuff doesn't leave anyone stranded in the middle of a vacation so they make sure the coaches are safe and within what can be predicted, reliable.
'11 Four Winds 23'
'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3 and 10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse (gone)

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my former Cruise America rental RV for about 5 years now. It had 136K when I bought it and has 148K now. Other than brakes, tires and general maintenance, no major problems. Buying a former rental is the least expensive way to get into RV'ing (other than inheriting or winning one).
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a used 2008 Tioga 31M from their facility in San Bernardino, Ca. in 2014. It had 108,000 miles, and it now has 112,000 miles. They gave me a full binder of maintenance documentation, showing every time they turned a screw on the motorhome. While rental motorhomes do have more than average use, one thing I have to admit is that they meticulously service them every time they are returned. I am extremely happy with my motorhome. The engine purrs like a Cadillac engine and the motorhome rides great. They also negotitate on the price. Mine was on sale for $36,500, and I offered them $33,000

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF it has any signs of water marks on the walls and ceiling? run as fast as you can.