Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Right on yard art

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
What extras catches your eye.
Not so much the xmas lights hanging from the awaning.

Tips on lighting for ground effect
an or lighting in general that serves both as eye catching and
Serves a purpose

Thanks
33 REPLIES 33

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
I'm sensing a theme here... I may be mistaken, but most here who "hate" the outside lighting are probably talking about camping at more remote state parks and other campsites that are quiet and rustic.

At most of the privately owned campgrounds around me, the campers are close together, and the campground itself has "streetlights" at intersections, around the bath houses, around the office and rec center, along pathways, and wherever else it is decided that extra lighting is needed. Stargazing is basically nonexistent. Having extra lights on a camper is not really going to change anything.

We have some campgrounds that we love that are rustic, quiet, dark, and the campsites are large and separated. I most certainly do not want exterior lighting all night!

But (as I posted earlier), at a busy campground with activities and lots of people, I enjoy checking out the various campsite decorations, including lighting.

X2
But...when they came out with those scare lights on the 5'ers? That's where I draw the line when they leave both of them on all night long.

Ya, some CG's have a few of those soft orange colored street lights around the perimeter of the CG that come on at night.

But 'please', 2 screaming white flood lights on all night on the side of a camper parked next to you?

That's just plain and pure inconsideration for others. Or stupidity, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
Good point, about the situation, when small heads are bent slightly with
Little fingers punching pads an phones,
U may have 2 options to have there company
I go with have there company.
Unless the neighbor s lights have an annoying
Loud hum, they won't keep me awake.

Those having a bad camping experience
from neighboring lights hope your next trip
Is better

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I mostly camp and only use an RV park for rallies twice a year. But even in RV parks, I don't like all the outside lights. Streetlight - fine. Yard lights that have no purpose other than "look at me", no thank you.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I'm sensing a theme here... I may be mistaken, but most here who "hate" the outside lighting are probably talking about camping at more remote state parks and other campsites that are quiet and rustic."

Odd, I read the same posts and saw very little about remote or rustic campground preferences. A dislike of excessive lighting seems to be about the only common theme.

I live in a residential neighborhood with few streetlights. I would hate it if people started decorating their houses with hanging led bulbs, lit up palm trees, rope lights. Why would I feel any different when I'm out in our toyhauler?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sensing a theme here... I may be mistaken, but most here who "hate" the outside lighting are probably talking about camping at more remote state parks and other campsites that are quiet and rustic.

At most of the privately owned campgrounds around me, the campers are close together, and the campground itself has "streetlights" at intersections, around the bath houses, around the office and rec center, along pathways, and wherever else it is decided that extra lighting is needed. Stargazing is basically nonexistent. Having extra lights on a camper is not really going to change anything.

We have some campgrounds that we love that are rustic, quiet, dark, and the campsites are large and separated. I most certainly do not want exterior lighting all night!

But (as I posted earlier), at a busy campground with activities and lots of people, I enjoy checking out the various campsite decorations, including lighting.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I each have a small LED flashlight on our key chains that we use to navigate our way to our coach in the dark rather than leaving outside lights on. I even added a small red LED to our porch light switch inside so we don't forget to turn it off when we do use it. We're solidly on the "darker is better" side...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em! I've never been in a campground so dark that it needed to be lit up by extraneous lights.

X2 Less (or none) is better. We love to sit out and admire the night skies. The Milky Way is fantastic!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Absolutely Nothing, I used to have white rope lights under the awning, they went into the trash, now it just the amber porch light, or the rare occasion single mantle lantern.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Other people have taken a white 5 gallon empty bucket drilled a hole and put in a blue light bulb. This gives a soft glow.

First time I saw this was in Buccaneer SP in MI. I called it a redneck street light.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Don't do it anymore, but my first MH I bought I put this in the back window
for my first Christmas away from the sticks and bricks.

Plugged it in to a portable car jumper. I thought it looked kinda cool at night driving.

My first MH and my first trip South. Seems like eons ago. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Count me in with the nothing crowd. I like a campfire and a dark sky. If I'll need to find my camper in the dark, I'll turn on my single porch light next to the door.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife loves the lawn art, last xmas she found a 7' inflatable xmas tree with integrated LED lights. We spent the holiday at Cedar Key FL, one of the more remote campgrounds in the Eastern US (45 minutes to the closest Walmart), we got tons of positive comments from just about everyone despite the fact that we were the youngest family there by at least a decade.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:

Nice, I like those! Just trashy enough to be funny, just bright enough to provide a safe approach at night.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, lawn art?

I'd have to say that our recent trip to Moab there was an older gentleman from Holland who sat out in his chair with nothing but a skimpy Speedo on. He wasn't exactly fit either.

I think he won for the most attention and other campers talking about him as far as lawn "art".
I love me some land yachting