cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about a TH for full-time

okstatefan
Explorer
Explorer
As crazy as it seems, the wife and I are tired of the "rat race". We live in a 2800sf house and only use a couple of rooms. Our eldest son is away in the Navy and our youngest will graduate this year. We've been "stay at homes" since 2002 raising the boys and keeping them settled in their schools. We are done! We both work in education and have 10 years left until retirement. We know we need to sell this huge house, and have a BUNCH of downsizing to do. We just don't want to be tied down to a property any longer.

We currently pull a Rockwood 2306 behind a RAM 1500 Hemi. It's great for week-long treks, but not something we could ever live in. My "plan" is to get a RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 and match a toy-hauler with it. I don't have any "toys" but we both love the idea of not only the rear porch and versatile room but also the side porch models.

We are kind of enamored by something like the Road Warrior 427: https://www.heartlandrvs.com/brands/luxuryth/road-warrior/rw-427

I'm just soliciting for opinions about full-time living in something like this. We plan to probably "park" during the school year and run the country during holidays and summer vacation. We really like the idea of being able to change school districts if we get worn out; without having the pain of "moving" a house full of **** that we rarely use.

Any tips, hints, and information on making the dream come true would be greatly appreciated.
35 REPLIES 35

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
i like the front living area layout a LOT! But 40-6 is WAY too long for me, won't get in my driveway for sure. Nice layout, never heard of the brand.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that's a nice floor plan and nice looking rig. That's the way to full time! Congrats!
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Nice unit. Still, lots of wood and I guess if done correctly a good choice. We have an ATC 28 front bedroom, all metal top to bottom and Spartan. This looks like a real quality with pride company. I hope it works out. Went to their website, using wood framing as well. Watch for any early leaks. I still don't understand lack of using marine grade in the floor. It would give wiggle room if a long term leak or moisture is trapped in the floor.

Beautiful rig. My wife loves it. Enjoy..

okstatefan
Explorer
Explorer
roller183 wrote:
okstatefan, HOLY COW!! I never heard of that brand, but boy thats a beauty !!!Congrats!

Happy travels.

Thanks. We really thought we would be coming home with either a Seismic or Fuzion TH. The Vilano just seems to fit our lifestyle and everyday needs better. It also has a bit better storage and creature comforts.

roller183
Explorer
Explorer
okstatefan, HOLY COW!! I never heard of that brand, but boy thats a beauty !!!Congrats!

Happy travels.
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport F 40 SPTS 40' 3 axle TH.
2013 RAM Mega cab Dually 6spd.auto gray

okstatefan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Roller183!

I actually just bought a new unit last weekend. I haven't taken delivery yet.

Although I had planned to probably go with a toy hauler, I found a conventional 5th wheel that the wife and I just fell in love with.

We chose a VanLeigh Vilano 375FL. It is a front-living unit made by the Tiffin family. It was much better quality than any of the toy haulers we had viewed and was a bit less expensive after working our best deal.

roller183
Explorer
Explorer
okstatefan, you got a great towing truck for starters. Your set as far as that goes.

Now the fun begins. A TH is a good choice and 5th wheel. Easier to tow, back up etc etc. IMHO

Like others said, aluminum framing is a good start. Depending on where your based, you'll need at the least a good "weather package" ,covered and heated tanks etc, good insulation ratings.

Take your time researching units for full time use. As far as I know,Grand Design offers TH units for "full timing".I'm not aware of any others.

If you full time in a unit that is not rated for that, they might pull the "warranty void" BS on you. Keep that in mind. I have spend a substantial amount of time "full timing in a TH 5th wheel" and wouldn't have it any other way.Room for your tool box etc.

My biggest complaint was the angle shower and small toilet area.(I'm 6'-2 275)

You have a 8x10-12' room to set up whatever you desire, or tote along a toy if you like. Some make hobby rooms etc.

Don't skimp on tires. Quality tires,"G" rated Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear etc.

Last but not least, some mfg's list empty weight as 15K etc and that does not include the A/C units etc. Make sure the "empty weight" is whats listed, or it takes away from what you can put on board. As I found out, you accumulate far more stuff if your in a RV park for a few months. Then comes time to roll and your left shaking your head as to where to put all the stuff, plus unneeded weight.

Last thought. Arizona is a good place to home base as you would be traveling during most of the hot times, June, July,as there is no extreme cold, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes,floods etc.....Just 3-1/2 hot months in summer. The rest of the year is very nice.Not to mention, they could use some good teachers.

I hope to do what your going to do in 2021 myself when I finally pull the plug..Good luck in your travels. ๐Ÿ™‚
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport F 40 SPTS 40' 3 axle TH.
2013 RAM Mega cab Dually 6spd.auto gray

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you know this, but there's a lot more to towing than GVWR. What's the payload, pin weight, etc.?

I would just think for full timing, you'd want the optimal towing vehicle... not one that is barely good enough.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
I'd seriously question any 5th wheel that's being advertised as "half ton towable". Ignore what the manufacturers say in their advertisements and really study the numbers, especially if you plan on full timing and moving around a lot.

Numbers don't lie. new 30' trailers are at 10k-11k GVW and that matches up with the new Eco Boost and 6.0 1500 trucks. Yes you won't have "reserve" power but for intermittent towing (this is also my daily driver) they should be good.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'd seriously question any 5th wheel that's being advertised as "half ton towable". Ignore what the manufacturers say in their advertisements and really study the numbers, especially if you plan on full timing and moving around a lot.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
WhitehouseLV wrote:
actually living in it wasn't very comfortable. Toyhaulers don't have the best living quarters arrangements. Because of that & a few over reasons I drive the commute each day. If I were full timing and didn't need the garage I would get a fiver.

This is why we're looking at Non-TH fifth wheels now. Don't have to haul the kid's toys, they have their own families, etc. so now just need to haul my Dual Sport, which I plan on doing on a rack on the back. With all the new layouts, multiple slides, 1/2 ton towables, etc. these are looking very attractive. Hoping to get another about 30' that is 1/2 ton towable so next truck can be a 1500, not a diesel.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

okstatefan
Explorer
Explorer
WhitehouseLV wrote:
I used to stayed in our TH during week days and during overhaul because my commute is 120 miles (~1 hr 40 min one way). It's great for weekend camping and those shorter family trips across the country but actually living in it wasn't very comfortable. Toyhaulers don't have the best living quarters arrangements. Because of that & a few over reasons I drive the commute each day. If I were full timing and didn't need the garage I would get a fiver. Sounds like a heck of an adventure in your future.

Thank you for the response. It's going to be a tough compromise on our part. We have just deiced we want freedom. Having lived the "rat race" we aren't even sure what that means.

We've visited some mid bunks and other layouts that we really liked. Maybe we won't settle on a Toy Hauler.

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used to stayed in our TH during week days and during overhaul because my commute is 120 miles (~1 hr 40 min one way). It's great for weekend camping and those shorter family trips across the country but actually living in it wasn't very comfortable. Toyhaulers don't have the best living quarters arrangements. Because of that & a few over reasons I drive the commute each day. If I were full timing and didn't need the garage I would get a fiver. Sounds like a heck of an adventure in your future.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

James57
Explorer
Explorer
we have a KZ 4013TK Venom love it. check it out.